Power strip dilemma, Catch-22

beachbum53

I know that power strips with surge protectors are prohibited, to prevent possible damage to the ship's electrical system, and a potential fire, should a surge occur. But, should a surge occur, if you don't have a surge protector, what protects your electronic items ( e-readers, iPads, laptops, etc.) from potential damage? I have yet to find a power strip or device with USB ports that does not have a surge protector. Your knowledge and factual information would be greatly appreciated.

This question was already answered in post #37

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2303101

Thanks. That was on a previous post of mine. I'm still a little skeptical, but I guess I'll just have to trust chengkp75. In the meantime, I'm having a tough time finding a power strip with USB ports and without a surge protector.

Thanks. That was on a previous post of mine. I'm still a little skeptical, but I guess I'll just have to trust chengkp75. In the meantime, I'm having a tough time finding a power strip with USB ports and without a surge protector.

Yeah I trust him more than anyone else when it comes to things like that here.

How many additional outlets do you need? Just get a regular power strip with no frills and use the adaptor cubes for the things that you want to charge via USB. You can always get a European to American adaptor to make use of the other outlet.

I know that power strips with surge protectors are prohibited, to prevent possible damage to the ship's electrical system, and a potential fire, should a surge occur. But, should a surge occur, if you don't have a surge protector, what protects your electronic items ( e-readers, iPads, laptops, etc.) from potential damage? I have yet to find a power strip or device with USB ports that does not have a surge protector. Your knowledge and factual information would be greatly appreciated.

The surge protectors do not cause damage or fire should a surge occur. Due to the differences in shipboard wiring from residential, the MOS's in the surge protector is subjected to many reverse polarity voltages below the protective, or clamping, voltage. These reverse polarity periods do not harm any electronics, it is just that the surge protector is designed to have the neutral and ground conductors at the same voltage, which is not the case on ships. These low voltage reverses will cause the MOS's to fail, and go into a thermal chain reaction, causing the fire in the surge suppressor, not your electronics.

I know its dry, but here is the best explanation as to what happens with a surge suppressor onboard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

In my post #53 on your previous thread, I found an entire line of power strips, USB ports, and combination units that do not have surge suppressors.

And, as I stated, there are not the kind of power surges onboard ship that you see on shore. The ship is not connected to a power grid, which can have massive voltage fluctuations when power transformers blow out. And as I said in post #37 of that thread, lightning is not a threat of voltage surges, for the same reason that surge suppressors don't work, the electrical system is not grounded to the hull.

The computers that operate the power plant of the engine room, the bridge navigation equipment, and the POS registers around the ship are all based on Windows and operate from "desktop" or server units. NONE of these are equipped with surge suppressors, so if there was a serious threat of damage due to a voltage surge, don't you think that not only the cruise line would install a surge suppressor (there are those that work on ship's systems, but are very costly) to protect their investment, but that also the IMO, the flag state, and the classification societies would insist on them to protect safety related equipment?

I've had my personal laptop for 20+ years, my e-reader for a decade, and my cell phone onboard a ship for 180 days a year for the last 20 years, plugged directly into the ship's electrical system, have gone through hurricanes, and never had a problem with a voltage surge. And I've been on ships with computer systems plugged directly into the wall for 40 years, and never once had a unit fried from a voltage surge or lightning strike.

Edited by chengkp75

The surge protectors do not cause damage or fire should a surge occur. Due to the differences in shipboard wiring from residential, the MOS's in the surge protector is subjected to many reverse polarity voltages below the protective, or clamping, voltage. These reverse polarity periods do not harm any electronics, it is just that the surge protector is designed to have the neutral and ground conductors at the same voltage, which is not the case on ships. These low voltage reverses will cause the MOS's to fail, and go into a thermal chain reaction, causing the fire in the surge suppressor, not your electronics.

I know its dry, but here is the best explanation as to what happens with a surge suppressor onboard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

In my post #53 on your previous thread, I found an entire line of power strips, USB ports, and combination units that do not have surge suppressors.

And, as I stated, there are not the kind of power surges onboard ship that you see on shore. The ship is not connected to a power grid, which can have massive voltage fluctuations when power transformers blow out. And as I said in post #37 of that thread, lightning is not a threat of voltage surges, for the same reason that surge suppressors don't work, the electrical system is not grounded to the hull.

The computers that operate the power plant of the engine room, the bridge navigation equipment, and the POS registers around the ship are all based on Windows and operate from "desktop" or server units. NONE of these are equipped with surge suppressors, so if there was a serious threat of damage due to a voltage surge, don't you think that not only the cruise line would install a surge suppressor (there are those that work on ship's systems, but are very costly) to protect their investment, but that also the IMO, the flag state, and the classification societies would insist on them to protect safety related equipment?

I've had my personal laptop for 20+ years, my e-reader for a decade, and my cell phone onboard a ship for 180 days a year for the last 20 years, plugged directly into the ship's electrical system, have gone through hurricanes, and never had a problem with a voltage surge. And I've been on ships with computer systems plugged directly into the wall for 40 years, and never once had a unit fried from a voltage surge or lightning strike.

Thank-you for your further elaboration. I don't feel so skeptical now. If something does happen and our electronic items get fried, may I send you the bill? :D

Thank-you for your further elaboration. I don't feel so skeptical now. If something does happen and our electronic items get fried, may I send you the bill? :D

Sure. ;) Not responsible, however, for someone plugging a 110v only older device into a 220v outlet. :eek:

Edited by chengkp75

I really wouldn't worry about it. I have never brought any type of extension cord/splitter/surge protector or whatever with. Always plug my iPhone, camera, laptop, etc. directly into the outlet.

We haven't had a need to charge more than one thing at a time anyway. Phones usually stay off and in the safe but we do charge them the day before getting off or of we stop in Puerto Rico or St Thomas where we get service. Camera may need charging once during the cruise. Laptop can stay charging when we don't need the other plug for anything else.

We have had extension cords confiscated. They carried the inspection/safety tag, but because (according to the room steward) they 'allowed multiple items to draw power', they were forbidden.

They wouldn't return my little 6-foot brown cord, but DID provide a 25-foot heavy duty outdoor rated orange extension cord as a replacement... because it only had a single outlet on the end. Sigh.

BUT, if you have a medical need, like for a CPAP, they won't touch your extension cord or power strip. At check-in, when they ask if you have any medical needs, just tell them you have a 'device' that requires an extension cord. They are NOT allowed, for HIPAA privacy reasons, to ask what the device is, for what medical condition, or how it is used.

BUT, if you have a medical need, like for a CPAP, they won't touch your extension cord or power strip. At check-in, when they ask if you have any medical needs, just tell them you have a 'device' that requires an extension cord. They are NOT allowed, for HIPAA privacy reasons, to ask what the device is, for what medical condition, or how it is used.

I've always wondered why no one questioned the extension cord I use for my CPAP. Thanks for the info.

I'm taking this on my upcoming Dream cruise:

ff02c06c-24a1-4422-b001-b5c430a4e5d4_1000_zpstsay6lsr.jpg

Travel RockStar™ Battery Pack + Charger + Surge by Belkin

BST301tt

$59.99

I got the SurgePlus, USB Swival charger for $29.99 also by Belkin. I got it at best buy. and are approved for cruise ships

We have had extension cords confiscated. They carried the inspection/safety tag, but because (according to the room steward) they 'allowed multiple items to draw power', they were forbidden.

They wouldn't return my little 6-foot brown cord, but DID provide a 25-foot heavy duty outdoor rated orange extension cord as a replacement... because it only had a single outlet on the end. Sigh.

The latter part of your post is incorrect for a couple reasons. Regardless of medical necessity, they will not permit devices considered unsafe on board. If discovered (as yours was) it will be confiscated and replaced if needed for a medically necessary device.

The other reason is your take on HIPAA is a little off: they can ask anything they want about an electrical device being brought on board without violating HIPAA and determine if it can or cannot be brought on board.

Do you think if I said my clothing iron or microwave oven was "medically necessary" they would smile and wave me through without question?

(I won't touch on the whole lying to get something you know you shouldn't have thing... you pretty much explained who you are with that one.)

Edited by StolidCruiser

Travel RockStar™ Battery Pack + Charger + Surge by Belkin

BST301tt

$59.99

I got the SurgePlus, USB Swival charger for $29.99 also by Belkin. I got it at best buy. and are approved for cruise ships

Don't know who told you they were "approved for cruise ships", because there isn't any entity that does this "approval", and since they have surge suppressors, they are not only not allowed, but are not safe.

It was not so much that multiple items could be powered from the cord (I know how misleading the information stewards give can be, I've had to correct them myself), but that the typical home "lamp cord" type extension cord can be seriously overloaded if two or more high wattage (think two hair dryers) are plugged in. This is why I always recommend the heavy duty (think Home Depot, for your garage or outdoor) type extension cord, as these have better insulation and can carry higher currents, even with multiple outlets on the end.

At the end of the day, it is up to the Captain, on recommendation from the Chief Engineer as to what will be allowed onboard as far as electrical equipment. This may vary slightly from ship to ship.

The latter part of your post is incorrect for a couple reasons. Regardless of medical necessity, they will not permit devices considered unsafe on board. If discovered (as yours was) it will be confiscated and replaced if needed for a medically necessary device.

The other reason is your take on HIPAA is a little off: they can ask anything they want about an electrical device being brought on board without violating HIPAA and determine if it can or cannot be brought on board.

Do you think if I said my clothing iron or microwave oven was "medically necessary" they would smile and wave me through without question?

(I won't touch on the whole lying to get something you know you shouldn't have thing... you pretty much explained who you are with that one.)

Further, any electrical device, whether for medical reasons or not, can be inspected for safety, and deemed not safe at the Captain's sole discretion, as per the ticket contract, and then it would be up to you to provide a safe medical device.

There is a USB port on the side of alot of the TV'S. I use the plug behind the bed for my CPAP, no extension cord needed just 220 to 110 adapter. Steward will move mattress & plug in, no nite light on my side, no problem.

Edited by texast518

Thanks for pointing out my lack of clarity.

Rather than share my medical history, I'll simply say that I didn't intend to suggest that power cords be smuggled in, just that when they're necessary, there's a right way to have your room profile notated to alert the steward of medical need.