Norway: What were your favorite Princess excursions?

KruzPrincess

I am cruising solo on a Norway cruise this year. A couple things: I know there is an extensive thread on the Europe board and I will continue to work my way through it. I am traveling solo and feel more comfortable doing Princess excursions than independent excursions. Finally, I am not physically able to do strenuous excursions and hiking. I can walk on my own, but I need to take my time. Second finally, I love scenery more than seeing museums and city sites. With that in mind, will you tell me what your favorite Norway excursions were? What's not to be missed? I don't plan on doing an excursion in every port. I do want to just stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere in some places. Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Ports:

Stavanger

Flaam

Olden

Trondheim

Honningsvag

Gravdal (Lofoten Islands)

Aalesund

Bergen

(I am going to post this on the Europe board, too.)

Thank you!!!!

Best of Flåm: Railway & Voss

FL1-105 | Flaam, Norway |

Recommend this Ship's Tour.

Also, the North Cape Ship's Tour.

Has been a while since I was there;

there was a Post Office there where

Post Cards could be mailed from.

Take addresses.

Enjoy your Cruise.

Edited by CruisenOne

Best of Flåm: Railway & Voss

FL1-105 | Flaam, Norway |

Recommend this Ship's Tour.

Also, the North Cape Ship's Tour.

Has been a while since I was there;

there was a Post Office there where

Post Cards could be mailed from.

Take addresses.

Enjoy your Cruise.

Thank you. I definitely want to do the Flaam Railway. I've been torn between the tour that included Voss or just the round trip train ride. I appreciate your advice that you thought the Voss & Railway tour was a good one.

I'm looking at the North Cape tour, too.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Don't miss the scenery of the fjords, from the ship:). My favorites are Sognefjord and Geirangerfjord, but they are all fab:)

A stroll around the tiny town in Honingsvaag is quaint:).

I agree about the railway tour in Flaam.

As a person of Scandinavian heritage myself, I wish you the best. For a toast, we say "Skol!"

Enjoy:)

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Flaam railway Voss, Stalheim hotel for cake and coffee with great views and the ride back to the ship through all the tunnels.

Make sure you get off the train at the waterfall. Look for the girl or the Lorelei

in the falls singing. Don't miss it. What a job that is!!!!

One of my favorite tours in the world.

We are casual bird watchers and thoroughly enjoyed the above tour out of Honningsvag (North Cape), Norway. In addition to the more common Northern seabirds such as puffins, kittiwakes and gannets, a large number of giant sea eagle circled overhead. They would occasionally swoop down to grab a less than healthy victim.

Sailing out of the harbor for the tour, it was fascinating to observe the design of the working and pleasure boats. Many were of lapstrake construction reminiscent of viking longboats. There were even fiberglass hulls patterned to look like lapstrake.

It was interesting to look way up at the North Cape Cliffs and see the tourists peering out over the ocean.

George

We have this cruise planned for 2017. Suggestion: go to your cruise roll call. We have always found a group of our fellow cruisers who are willing to share an excursion separate from the ship. In fact, we have NEVER done a ship sponsered excursion. Better prices, and you know the folks you are traveling with beforehand.

Some years ago, when my ship visited Trondheim, I found a Farmers' Market, in the town square. It was a great experience, just seeing and shopping the Farmers' Market.

The same day, quite by chance, I stumbled upon an organ concert, at the Cathedral there. It was goosebumps good!

What a great day in Trondheim, and it all fell together, just by chance.

It is one of my best travel memories:)

We have this cruise planned for 2017. Suggestion: go to your cruise roll call. We have always found a group of our fellow cruisers who are willing to share an excursion separate from the ship. In fact, we have NEVER done a ship sponsered excursion. Better prices, and you know the folks you are traveling with beforehand.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a roll call veteran. As I mentioned in my OP, I have reasons for taking Princess excursions.

Some years ago' date=' when my ship visited Trondheim, I found a Farmers' Market, in the town square. It was a great experience, just seeing and shopping the Farmers' Market.

The same day, quite by chance, I stumbled upon an organ concert, at the Cathedral there. It was goosebumps good!

What a great day in Trondheim, and it all fell together, just by chance.

It is one of my best travel memories:)[/quote']

Sounds great. I'm not going to do excursions in every port. I like to just poke around myself sometimes. I'm purposely leaving Trondheim open because it looks like it might be a nice town to walk around a bit. As a matter of fact, I have a not written to see how far it is to the Cathedral! It looks beautiful.

We were on the cruise last year so hear goes:

Ports:

Stavanger - Lysefjord to see the Preacher's Pulpit Rock

Flaam - You must cruise the Naerfjord here...it is a UNESCO site

Olden - Go to the glacier, and cruise on Lovatnet Lake (eat some of the waffles too)

Trondheim - The Cathedral and Love Bridge

Honningsvag - North Cape Cliffs are a must

Gravdal (Lofoten Islands) - DO the all day tour here and see everything...probably the best of the scenery

Aalesund - Trollsteigens and Troll Wall. It will take all day

Bergen - Funicular to the top of the mountain

We can answer any questions you have about this. We will probably go back and do it again as it was the most scenic and amazing place we have ever been to. Also...especially in Honningsvag, make sure you have a good jacket, gloves, etc as it does get quite chilly there.

Thank you!!!!

Flaam railway Voss, Stalheim hotel for cake and coffee with great views and the ride back to the ship through all the tunnels.

Make sure you get off the train at the waterfall. Look for the girl or the Lorelei

in the falls singing. Don't miss it. What a job that is!!!!

One of my favorite tours in the world.

I just booked this excursion for my September T/A. It sounds absolutely wonderful.....:):):)

Bob

Mt. Fløien Funicular & City Drive

BGO-210 | Bergen, Norway

What are your thoughts on this tour?

Many years ago' date=' I did the funicular railroad on my own.

It was great, with a great view.

Is it the bus portion of the tour that you did not like?[/quote']

Thought that it was a very good Tour.

Enjoyed the bus portion as well as the funicular.

BTW --

There is a plaque, in Voss, for Knute Rockne

Knute Rockne was born March 4, 1888, Voss, Norway. He immigrated with his family to Chicago in 1893. He ran track and played end on the University of Notre Dame football team. In 1919 he was named head coach at Notre Dame. In his 13 seasons, his “Fighting Irish” posted an impressive record (105–12–5) that included 5 undefeated seasons and 3 national championships.

Edited by CruisenOne

Ports:

Olden - Go to the glacier, and cruise on Lovatnet Lake (eat some of the waffles too)

Gravdal (Lofoten Islands) - DO the all day tour here and see everything...probably the best of the scenery

We can answer any questions you have about this. We will probably go back and do it again as it was the most scenic and amazing place we have ever

been to. Also...especially in Honningsvag, make sure you have a good jacket, gloves, etc as it does get quite chilly there.

Thank you!!!!

Great! Great! Great!

Tusen takk !

I am cruising solo on a Norway cruise this year. A couple things: I know there is an extensive thread on the Europe board and I will continue to work my way through it. I am traveling solo and feel more comfortable doing Princess excursions than independent excursions. Finally, I am not physically able to do strenuous excursions and hiking. I can walk on my own, but I need to take my time. Second finally, I love scenery more than seeing museums and city sites. With that in mind, will you tell me what your favorite Norway excursions were? What's not to be missed? I don't plan on doing an excursion in every port. I do want to just stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere in some places. Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Ports:

Stavanger

Flaam

Olden

Trondheim

Honningsvag

Gravdal (Lofoten Islands)

Aalesund

Bergen

Thank you!!!!

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%20147_zpsz2ikbdbh.jpg

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%20271_zpsgsofjiyi.jpg

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%20458_zps5hraxgxj.jpg

Howard

Thought that it was a very good Tour.

Enjoyed the bus portion as well as the funicular.

BTW --

There is a plaque, in Voss, for Knute Rockne

Knute Rockne was born March 4, 1888, Voss, Norway. He immigrated with his family to Chicago in 1893. He ran track and played end on the University of Notre Dame football team. In 1919 he was named head coach at Notre Dame. In his 13 seasons, his “Fighting Irish” posted an impressive record (105–12–5) that included 5 undefeated seasons and 3 national championships.

Thanks so much:). This is so good to hear :)

We went to Norway last summer, although a little different itinerary.

I would highly recommend the Troll Road (Trollstigen) from Alesund. We did it independent, but the one through the ship excursion goes to the same place.

I also enjoyed the Pulpit Rock cruise in Stavenger.

Edited by reney313

Ports:

We can answer any questions you have about this. We will probably go back and do it again as it was the most scenic and amazing place we have ever been to. Also...especially in Honningsvag, make sure you have a good jacket, gloves, etc as it does get quite chilly there.

Thank you!!!!

Thank you. Did you post about your cruise earlier? I think I read about your cruise awhile back and had remembered how much you liked Naerfjord while in Flaam. I had jotted that down.

Flaam: I am torn between that and the Flaam railway. Have you or has anyone done both????? One of my top things I've wanted to do is ride the train. I would love to hear more thoughts on these two excursions. Actually, there's 3 excursions that interest me. There's the round trip train trip though the Flaam valley, the Flaam Railway and Voss and

Naerfjord/Unesco Heritage site. Any thoughts from anyone will be appreciated.

Stavanger/Bergen: Another question for those of you who have traveled Norway. In Stavanger, the Lysefjord cruise (pulpit rock) seems to be popular. In Bergen, there is an excursion (BGO-240 | Bergen, Norway Bergen & Scenic Cruise) that goes to Lysefjord too. Has anyone done the Bergen tour? It is less expensive, so I expect the cruise portion is not as long as the Stavanger excursion. Does anyone know if the Bergen one goes to Pulpit Rock? I am planning on the funicular in Bergen, but maybe the Bergen/Scenic cruise is a better choice if I can see Lysefjord there? Thoughts?

We went to Norway last summer, although a little different itinerary.

I would highly recommend the Troll Road (Trollstigen) from Alesund. We did it independent, but the one through the ship excursion goes to the same place.

I also enjoyed the Pulpit Rock cruise in Stavenger.

Thank you. Trollstigen is one that I know I'm doing for sure. Already booked. :)

Thank you. Did you post about your cruise earlier? Yes...I will find the link

Flaam: I am torn between that and the Flaam railway. Have you or has anyone done both????? We did the following and it was incredible:

1. Aurland Valley & Aurlandfjord Senic Drive

2. Naeroyfjord Cruise and Senic Drive

Stavanger/Bergen: Another question for those of you who have traveled Norway. In Stavanger, the Lysefjord cruise (pulpit rock) seems to be popular. In Bergen, there is an excursion (BGO-240 | Bergen, Norway Bergen & Scenic Cruise) that goes to Lysefjord too. Thoughts?

This one has me for a loop because if you go to Google Maps and get directions from Bergen to Stavanger (Stavanger is right noext to Lysefjord), it is 5 hours by car....so I am thinking there is some sort of mistake there.