Recent Costa Maya Visitors: How's The Sea Grass?

PyrHeaven

My family and I are going to be on NCL Star the first week in March. The original plan was to utilize Harvest Caye as our beach day. That has now since gone out the window since we will be going to Belize City instead. At this point, I'm struggling to decide where to fit in said beach day.

I'm contemplating Costa Maya due to the abundance of beach club options (Almaplena, BlueKay, YaYa, or Pez Quadro I'm thinking), but worried about the water quality/sea grass. I want crystal blue water with sandy bottom. If I won't get that in Costa Maya I'm going to go with Goff's Caye in Belize or West End Beach in Roatan (which will then change all my current plans for those ports.)

For those that have recently visited Costa Maya, how was the water?

We were there last week at Tropicante - the water was a little murky and not really all the blue but there was no sea grass that we saw anywhere. If you are just swimming the beaches were great. Snorkeling was not as great there but I've heard at Blue Kay it is decent.

No sea grass recently.

I talked with Steve Uhl at Tropicante when I was in Mahahual a coupelof weeks ago. He said that the Mexican Government spend up to $15 million to remove the seagrass infestation from the areas along the entire coast line. In Mahahual Steve said they dredged up piles of seagrass plants daily for over a week, as I recall. He thinks they're doing a similar process as was used in Brasil over the past couple of years. It's worked there.

No sea grass recently.

I talked with Steve Uhl at Tropicante when I was in Mahahual a coupelof weeks ago. He said that the Mexican Government spend up to $15 million to remove the seagrass infestation from the areas along the entire coast line. In Mahahual Steve said they dredged up piles of seagrass plants daily for over a week, as I recall. He thinks they're doing a similar process as was used in Brasil over the past couple of years. It's worked there.

Wow. That sounds like quite the project and great news. Thanks!