June Heli/Dog Sled tour: Temsco, ERA, or Coastal?

KathiB

We are looking at these three companies for a Helicopter/Dog Sled excursion from our cruise ship on June 24. They are similar but there are differences. We will booking directly with the company. They all run around 2 1/2 - 3 hours for the whole trip.They go to different Glaciers. Here are the specifics:

Temsco: Mendenhall Glacier, no price listed as it says you must book through cruise ship. Will be calling them to confirm this.

ERA: Norris Glacier, $555 per person.

Coastal: Herbert Glacier. $510 per person.

Through Holland America (goes to Norris glacier so may be using ERA), $584.95 per person.

Right now they all have availability for our date and time. There will be four of us (parents and grown daughters) so the price on Coastal is a plus. If you have personal experience with one or all companies we would love to hear your advice. Any big difference in the glaciers since that is another factor that is variable? Thanks.

I have flown with all these companies, equally well run long time vendors. Glaciers are in a constant state of change. It doesn't matter which one they set up in, location is based on conditions, and can change during the season. TEMSCO is the only one with Mendenhall permits. It is more known.

After 7 Alaska cruises we are finally planning a Juneau glacier/sledding helicopter excursion in late May this year, but DHs' big question is whether puppies are guaranteed, as they would be a nice part of he experience for us.

We went with ERA last June and we didn't get to see puppies on the glacier. Mom had just given birth and the puppies were too young. We had to wait until the land portion of our trip where we saw puppies at the Iditarod Headquarters. I also know of some excursions in Skagway that offer opportunities to see puppies.

After 7 Alaska cruises we are finally planning a Juneau glacier/sledding helicopter excursion in late May this year, but DHs' big question is whether puppies are guaranteed, as they would be a nice part of he experience for us.

FWIW puppies were a highlight for my kids, but IMHO the ride and views are more then worth it even if you don't get the pups.

Thanks for the great information. I don't care too much about puppies...don't get me wrong, I love puppies, just the thrill of dog sledding, the Heli ride and the scenery is what we are after.

Have researched ERA and Coastal. Coastal is less expensive. From what I understand, all the helicopters have seating for 6. Two seats in the front row-one on each side with a window and four seats in the back which means that 2 people will be in the middle of the 2nd row. My question for those who have been in these helicopters is, if you are seated in the middle seats of the back row do you still have good views? Thanks for any info.

My question for those who have been in these helicopters is, if you are seated in the middle seats of the back row do you still have good views? Thanks for any info.

"good", maybe. It is not the same as having a window seat, frankly.

We went with ERA. On the flight to the glacier, my daughter and I sat in the front to the left of the pilot. My husband was in the back. On the return flight, we switched. My daughter and I were in the back along with my husband...he's 6-9, so he would have blocked everyone's view!

We went with ERA. On the flight to the glacier, my daughter and I sat in the front to the left of the pilot. My husband was in the back. On the return flight, we switched. My daughter and I were in the back along with my husband...he's 6-9, so he would have blocked everyone's view!

Interesting they would let a switch occur. I've done several helicopters tours and weight balance was always a focus and couldn't imagine at least the operators we went would permit any switching, which one were you on again, I'll be sure to avoid them next time :p

Thanks for the info about switching seats. Seems like ERA allowed it. That may be a deciding factor.

Selecting ERA or avoiding it. Reminds me of my research on flights in Hawaii and hearing about complaints from people from one vendor that refused to fly because of storms. BTW that was the carrier I selected as they had a great reputation for safety, helicopters don't got wings... bad things happen when bad things happen... :D

For the return flight, the pilot told us we were switching and told us where to sit. I'm sure weight balances were considered. My husband is a deputy and occasionally flies on helicopters for work. He was comfortable with the switch.

Not sure how being a deputy and flying makes one more qualified to judge how a full heli flying at altitudes far higher than in a city makes.. but glad it all worked out!

Edited by chipmaster

For the return flight, the pilot told us we were switching and told us where to sit. I'm sure weight balances were considered. My husband is a deputy and occasionally flies on helicopters for work. He was comfortable with the switch.

He is a licensed helicopter pilot? If not, I wouldn't think him qualified to "second guess" any decision, or know the details, made by a - single pilot.

General, this was ONE experience, based on a particular pilot. It is NOT going to indicate ANY future pilot decision. The pilot isn't identified, you aren't even likely to get the SAME one. Basing any decision to book with a particular company based on this idea???