A la Carte Specialty Dining?

VideoTech

Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before.

We're on the Escape this coming June, and it's been a while since our last NCL cruise. During that time, they've introduced A La carte dining in the specialty restaurants, and I'd appreciate some information about how this works.

Specifically, I assume there is no longer a per head service charge for dining in the specialty restaurants? Is there now a price beside every menu item? Are all the specialty restaurants now "a la carte?" How does this work if you have a "Dining Package?"

Thanks!

Edited by VideoTech

Here's the terms & conditions from the NCL website:

Specialty Dining Packages are available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. Specialty Dining Packages are not available on 1- and 2-day sailings. The minimum package that can be purchased is a 3 meal package; the maximum is a 45 meal package. The number of meals purchased cannot exceed the length of the cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No kids pricing available. Specialty Dining Packages are non transferable. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. Food Republic, Carlo's Bake Shop items, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Seafood Plateau in Raw Bar, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages. You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($15), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00. There is no minimum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package purchased.

If you plan on having a few dinners in Le Bistro or Cagney's, I strongly advice you to purchase a dining package (I believe that the minimum is for 3 days). As paying a-la-carte would be a very expensive experience. We had dinner at Le Bistro on the Escape without a dining package deal, and for two starters (mushroom soup) and two main courses (steak) plus two glasses of wine we paid a little over $80 (including the 18% gratuity). We had no desserts.

"You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($15), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7)."

For the statement above, does that mean you just have to pay that upcharge and you can eat as much as you want? And when you do that, does it count towards the number of meals you have for the dinning package?

Other than Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants (one main only), I can order as much as i want?

For the statement above, does that mean you just have to pay that upcharge and you can eat as much as you want? And when you do that, does it count towards the number of meals you have for the dinning package?

No. I had the UDP a while back and tried Ocean Blue one night. You couldn't have more than one appetizer, main course, or dessert.

Other than Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants (one main only), I can order as much as i want?

You should be able to have as many appetizers and desserts, but just one main course. Only possible exception (to your favor) might be the "steak for 2" at Le Bistro. The steak, which usually has an upcharge, is included in the SDP. However, my wife ordered a main course and I had the steak all to myself. They didn't hit me with a double entree or charge me the $10 upcharge.

No. I had the UDP a while back and tried Ocean Blue one night. You couldn't have more than one appetizer, main course, or dessert.

You should be able to have as many appetizers and desserts, but just one main course. Only possible exception (to your favor) might be the "steak for 2" at Le Bistro. The steak, which usually has an upcharge, is included in the SDP. However, my wife ordered a main course and I had the steak all to myself. They didn't hit me with a double entree or charge me the $10 upcharge.

:confused: Now i am confused, i just spoke with the agent, he seems so certain that as long as i pay the upcharge for all the restaurants except Bayamo, Cagney's and Le Bistro, i can order as much as i want. I am mainly interested in the sushi from Food Republic.