Just booked! Now what... What do you do?

jeffdal

Yup, I sailed a couple cruises but it's been awhile since on Carnival. I am curious to know what are things you do after right after booking to prepare for your cruise. Would love any ideas and tips.

I'll be on the 5 day April 23rd sailing on the Liberty out of Galveston. Most likely driving down from Dallas, staying night before in or around Houston and then driving to one of the parking places nearby the port in Galveston.

Fantastic ideas. I was a little surprised that I did not get an email confirmation after I paid the deposit. Is that common?

I usually get a confirmation every time I make a payment but there was one occasion where I didn't. Also my last payment I made for my Oct. cruise I did not get the confirmation email until the next day.

Check your passport/card expiration date, confirming that it will not expire while on your cruise. Also, I am a "list person". I started a list on my phone of what I will need to pack and other random cruise info. Anytime I think of something I add it to the list.

Edited by sjbrown01
add info

I usually check to see if there a roll call going. I also look for pictures/vides of the room, areas I might be interested in hanging out(usually Aft pool/bar) and research/book excursions. I usually buy Faster to the Fun as well.

Have fun :)

The Liberty is still my favorite ship. We've cruised on her twice. If there was a way to add the Waterworks, like Carnival has on the Dream class ships, I think I could sail on the Liberty over and over again. :) If you haven't gotten your e-mail confirmation by now, call Carnival and let them know. Hope you have perfect weather and a great cruise!

Check your passport/card expiration date, confirming that it will not expire while on your cruise. Also, I am a "list person". I started a list on my phone of what I will need to pack and other random cruise info. Anytime I think of something I add it to the list.

I love the list idea on the phone! I must do this!

Fantastic ideas. I was a little surprised that I did not get an email confirmation after I paid the deposit. Is that common?

It's common for me. I never got one and always had to call to get them to send me one.

They always repeated back my email address to me and checked my spam mail but never got them til I called.

Bill

Check the "Roll Calls" section here for your cruise and meet some of the people you are cruising with. They will be discussing shore excursions and maybe you can join a get together once on board.

We do this with every cruise. Have a great time !!!

The Liberty is still my favorite ship. We've cruised on her twice. If there was a way to add the Waterworks, like Carnival has on the Dream class ships, I think I could sail on the Liberty over and over again. :) If you haven't gotten your e-mail confirmation by now, call Carnival and let them know. Hope you have perfect weather and a great cruise!

Liberty does look quite cool. I was impressed when I checked out pictures online.

I love the excitement of the anticipation of my cruise!! 23 days till my next one!!! Booked several months ago. While on this cruise, I will book one for 10/2016 and 9/2017.

When waiting for my cruise ... as others have said ...

1. I look on this site DAILY, both on the cruise line page as well as the port pages for every port I'm going to.

2. Research the ports and typically book my excursions NOT thru the cruise line, as they are much more expensive, I will find my own online. I have had great experiences booking my own excursions. Most of these tour operators know what time your ship leaves and they will deliver you back on time, don't worry.

3. I have an 8' "trip table" in my basement and I start gathering stuff for my cruise WAAAYYYY in advance. For example, I bring energy drinks, so I get them early, plus all my cords/adapters for my electronics, toiletries, I also plan out my clothes and shoes in advance (organized by day) and arrange them on the table too. The suitcases are kept under the table. Anything I "KNOW" I need to bring but can't store on that table (because I'm using it) gets written on a post-it and stuck to the outside of the suitcase, one item per post-it. Then as I'm packing, when I pack each post it item, I put the post it on the item as it goes in the suitcase so I know I packed it. (Yes, I remove the post-its right before I close the suitcase, lol).

4. Check for price drops daily on Carnival.com as I typically book early saver.

5. get involved in "Roll calls" for my specific sailing both on this site as well as on facebook.

6. find "park and ride" options and research the port if I'm staying overnight and find a cool place for dinner the night before.

Of course ... once the cruise gets close like the one I have in a few weeks, all that's left to do is BE EXCITED and look at Cruise Critic every day since I've planned so well already.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Cheers,

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

First thing I do is buy 3rd party travel insurance.

After that, I would see what excursions were being offered for each port by Carnival vs. other sources. I would start my cruise packing list, check the roll calls, and become a cruise critic junkie.

I would also keep my eye on the Carnival Fare Viewer to make sure there aren't any price drops.

I love the trip table idea and certainly will look for price drops.

Do you look for price drops on a regular interval? Or everything other day?

I was surprised to see just two posts in the roll call for my 4/23 sailing. Where are the Facebook rollcalls?

I love the excitement of the anticipation of my cruise!! 23 days till my next one!!! Booked several months ago. While on this cruise, I will book one for 10/2016 and 9/2017.

When waiting for my cruise ... as others have said ...

1. I look on this site DAILY, both on the cruise line page as well as the port pages for every port I'm going to.

2. Research the ports and typically book my excursions NOT thru the cruise line, as they are much more expensive, I will find my own online. I have had great experiences booking my own excursions. Most of these tour operators know what time your ship leaves and they will deliver you back on time, don't worry.

3. I have an 8' "trip table" in my basement and I start gathering stuff for my cruise WAAAYYYY in advance. For example, I bring energy drinks, so I get them early, plus all my cords/adapters for my electronics, toiletries, I also plan out my clothes and shoes in advance (organized by day) and arrange them on the table too. The suitcases are kept under the table. Anything I "KNOW" I need to bring but can't store on that table (because I'm using it) gets written on a post-it and stuck to the outside of the suitcase, one item per post-it. Then as I'm packing, when I pack each post it item, I put the post it on the item as it goes in the suitcase so I know I packed it. (Yes, I remove the post-its right before I close the suitcase, lol).

4. Check for price drops daily on Carnival.com as I typically book early saver.

5. get involved in "Roll calls" for my specific sailing both on this site as well as on facebook.

6. find "park and ride" options and research the port if I'm staying overnight and find a cool place for dinner the night before.

Of course ... once the cruise gets close like the one I have in a few weeks, all that's left to do is BE EXCITED and look at Cruise Critic every day since I've planned so well already.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Cheers,

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

1. Research ports/currency/food and transport stuff

2. Research /book excursions

3. CC reading (this is ongoing)

4. Join roll call/facebook roll call

5. Buy new oufits before summer prices hit

6. Plan diet to fit into above outfits

7. Excitedly talk about cruising (this is ongoing)

8. Check passports and fill in online stuff

9. Save money and pay off when possible

10. post cruise things on fb

11. Research ships that will be in port with me

12. Look at deck plans/menus/youtube videos

13. Save spending money

14. Buy products especially for cruise

15. Book hotels and transport

16. Check other deals before final payment

17. DANCE

18.DRINK

19.WORK

20. Convince others joy of cruising

21. Get any pills/injections needed

22. Pack

23. Get hair done

24. Give up on diet

25. Buy more cruise things and clothes I do not need

26. Book another cruise if deal comes up

27. Geek out on cruise shows and news

28. Convince in laws to take care of dog

29. Tidy house

Liberty is my favorite ship of all, enjoy!

Know that the rules for bringing on liquids has changed. You can only bring non-alcoholic beverages in cans (bottles no longer allowed), 12-12 oz pp and one 750 ml bottle of wine pp. Bottles of water are available for pre-purchase online & delivered to your room or on the ship for $2.99/12 pack.