Areas to avoid in FLL? Staying at the Hampton Inn

bobbie0253

We will be in the area for three nights in April/may. We will have a good size group with cars and kids. Are there any areas we should specifically avoid? We are Staying at the Hampton Inn cruise port north. Was considering driving to Walmart for diapers , snacks, drinks but I am not sure that part of FLL is safe? How is Dania Beach? Looks like there might be a playground there? Our other plans involve driving to the Miami Zoo and anything else that would be of interest to a mixed ages group ( all easy going, easy to please). Any local places with a splash pad, water slides?

I gather searching for the nearest Walmart from the hotel indicated the one on State Rd 7 in Lauderhill. Definitely much better neighborhoods than that for shopping. Just go west from your hotel on SR 84, merge with I-595 and exit at University Drive. Go left 2 miles to Walmart, or turn right for a huge variety of shops in the Fountain Shoppes and Westfield Broward Mall. In either direction you will find an endless number of casual franchise restaurants. GOOGLE MAP of the route from your hotel.

If headed to the beach John U Lloyd State Park at the northern tip of Dania Beach is family friendly. Admission of $6/car; plenty of picnic tables and grills, decent facilities and a small restaurant. If there is a ship in Pier 29 at Port Everglades it will be hovering over the park, but you won't be able to stay to watch the ships sail away as the park aggressively enforces the sundown closing time.

I don't know of any water parks in Miami or Ft Lauderdale areas anymore. Rapids Water Park in Riviera Beach (near PBI airport) is nice for what it is but not worth the hour drive each way.

As for a summary of where to safely head from your motel: S/SE and W/SW are good directions, due North definitely not.

Take an airboat ride. Everyone will enjoy it. Just head straight out 595 until you hit US 27. Head north or south and you will hit an airboat place. There are no water parks in the FLL area. Some of the local parks have water slides, but I'm not sure they are open until summer. We also like to take mixed groups on the Jungle Queen. It takes you up the New River on a narrated tour. It is hokey, but fun for all ages. The Miami Zoo is pretty far south. Plan on at least an hour or so due to traffic which is intense for some people. Hollywood Beach is very family friendly. The Museum of Discovery and Science has an IMAX and some good exhibits. My kids loved it when they were younger.

The Museum of Discovery and Science has an IMAX and some good exhibits. My kids loved it when they were younger.

My DH and I went there in December and had a blast. Great Museum and they were playing Star Wars in the IMAX screen.

I would recommend it for big kids too! :) :)

The Walmarts in Davie and Hallandale are in good enough neighborhoods. They are building one in Ft Lauderdale but I wouldn't go there.

Zoo Miami is really nice. There is also Lion Country Safari in West Palm Beach.

There is cute water playground in Tamarac.

http://www.tamarac.org/index.aspx?nid=539

Edited by royalcruz

The Walmarts in Davie and Hallandale are in good enough neighborhoods. They are building one in Ft Lauderdale but I wouldn't go there.

/url]

WHY on earth are they building that Walmart there? They couldn't have put it in a worse part of Broward.

To the OP, I wouldn't make a special trip to Walmart. Our Publix are pretty spectacular. See if they don't have it first.

Also make sure you don't have a Target closer.

Thank you all so much for the responses I really appreciate it! I totally forgot about Publix! I know there is a Winn-Dixie near the hotel but that was a little pricey compared to typical Walmart prices which is why we were thinking of going there. Also thanks for the beach information that sounds exactly like something we would be interested in :) we plan to take a whole day to do the Miami zoo so distance driving shouldn't be an issue we actually drove it once in the past and really enjoyed our day there.

Thanks again!

Bobbie

WHY on earth are they building that Walmart there? They couldn't have put it in a worse part of Broward.

I know! Walmart should have taken over the Oakland Park Kmart spot! I won't get out of my car on Broward Blvd near I-95! A woman died when she was pushed down during a mugging on that parking lot about 20 yrs ago, and I haven't gone there since.

I know! Walmart should have taken over the Oakland Park Kmart spot! I won't get out of my car on Broward Blvd near I-95! A woman died when she was pushed down during a mugging on that parking lot about 20 yrs ago, and I haven't gone there since.

At least we'll know where to buy flakka.

At least we'll know where to buy flakka.

LOL! Yes, we will! The good news is that law enforcement has done a great job of cleaning up flakka. My hospital friends tell me that flakka ER admissions are way down in the last few months. :)