Tropicante or Blue Kay???

wildtky101

My husband and I are looking for a beach day with good food, good drinks, maybe a massage, a beautiful beach and most importantly relaxation! I have it narrowed down to Tropicante and Blue Kay. We will be there in March. Any input would be extremely welcomed! Thanks in advance.

6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other. Both have good service, both essentially the same stretch of beach (more on the differences later), both accessible via taxi. Neither charge for entry or are A.I., just purchase food and drink.That said, the distinction lies in locale.

Tropicante is smack dab in the middle of the malecon and depending on the number of ships and their size can appear crowded as there's not a clear demarcation between beach clubs. Blue Kay on the other hand is at the very northern end of the malecon and just outside the primary break water. It has a separate entrance off the road from the port, and it is a bit further away from the main malecon. Nearest club is Tequila Beach. So Blue Kay can be quieter, less crowded, and get a bit of difference in the ocean as the beach isn't as influenced by the breakwater like other beach clubs along the main malecon.The choice is really up to you. You don't need a reservation at either , although it helps.

I'll say this, we were there 2 weeks ago. We were at NoHoch Kay, near the southern end of the main malecon. We go there because we've known the owner since way before he moved down to Mahahual and DW is "friends on FB with a couple of the waitresses. But if Nohoch Kay wasn't there, I'd go to Tropicante, because I like that set up and Steve is just an all around nice guy and his staff is very good. DW would go to Blue Kay because that fits her "ideal" of a quieter beach day.

Edited by crewsweeper

I've heard good things about both. We went to Tropicante two weeks ago and in my opinion the owner Steve is worth going there. He is a great guy and spends most of his day talking to people on his stretch of the beach. We did the $20 massages for my family and it was heaven. I might try Blue Kay if snorkeling was important. There wasn't much to see off the beach at Tropicante with all the boat traffic but I read that Blue Kay is better.

Thanks for the reviews. Do you know how the sea grass is at Tropicante? I read some reviews that said Tropicante has a lot but I haven't seen any in the pictures I've seen others post online. I guess that would be the only reason why I would go to Blue Kay (I haven't heard any complaints about sea grasss there).

Thanks for the reviews. Do you know how the sea grass is at Tropicante? I read some reviews that said Tropicante has a lot but I haven't seen any in the pictures I've seen others post online. I guess that would be the only reason why I would go to Blue Kay (I haven't heard any complaints about sea grasss there).

Sea grass along the malecon beaches are gone for now, at least. Mexican Government pitched in about $15 million and cleaned out the rooted stuff. Supposedly dredged up tons of sea grass.

Hubby and I were in Costa Maya on the 21st and spent a few hours at Blue Kay. This was our first time in CM and thoroughly enjoyed Blue Kay. We had a quiet and relaxing time there. Enjoyed the beach view, drinks, food, and snorkeling. I've blogged about our cruise. Check out our Costa Maya posts: 2BCruising.blogspot.com

Hubby and I were in Costa Maya on the 21st and spent a few hours at Blue Kay. This was our first time in CM and thoroughly enjoyed Blue Kay. We had a quiet and relaxing time there. Enjoyed the beach view, drinks, food, and snorkeling. I've blogged about our cruise. Check out our Costa Maya posts: 2BCruising.blogspot.com

I enjoyed reading your blog! We will be in CM in March and plan to spend the day at Blue Kay. Thanks!

Edited by JustUs275

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been to Tropicante (but have been to Nohoch down the road from it). I have been to Blue Kay. If you are interested in photo's of it, I have a lot of them in my review, listed in my signature line. You'll have to click the link and scroll down to find the beginning. It's very long. :)

I have never been to Tropicante (but have been to Nohoch down the road from it). I have been to Blue Kay. If you are interested in photo's of it, I have a lot of them in my review, listed in my signature line. You'll have to click the link and scroll down to find the beginning. It's very long. :)

I will definitely check them out, thank you!