How Many Bottles of Wine for Solo Cruiser?

robin13

How many bottles of wine are allowed if you are sailing solo? On Royal Caribbean it is two per cabin so that is what I always brought with me. I believe I saw that it is 1 per person on Carnival but I wanted to make sure. Also on Royal Caribbean you get double points if you are sailing solo because you paid double the price. Does Carnival do that as well? This is the first time for me to sail solo on Carnival as I usually sail on Royal but they have gotten so expensive that I decided to come back to Carnival.

How many bottles of wine are allowed if you are sailing solo? On Royal Caribbean it is two per cabin so that is what I always brought with me. I believe I saw that it is 1 per person on Carnival but I wanted to make sure. Also on Royal Caribbean you get double points if you are sailing solo because you paid double the price. Does Carnival do that as well? This is the first time for me to sail solo on Carnival as I usually sail on Royal but they have gotten so expensive that I decided to come back to Carnival.

One, Ein, Uno.... :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you eat at the steakhouse the first night ,$35 fee, then you can buy as many bottles as you want for 50% off to enjoy on board for the rest of the cruise. You get a free bottle of wine or 50% off wine purchase if you eat the first night in the steakhouse.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you eat at the steakhouse the first night ,$35 fee, then you can buy as many bottles as you want for 50% off to enjoy on board for the rest of the cruise. You get a free bottle of wine or 50% off wine purchase if you eat the first night in the steakhouse.

I've read that here but have never tried it.

It's likely one, but I think it should be 2. Solos pay for both beds.

I think that would be nice if they did let you do that. I'm just glad that at least they let you bring through one bottle / cruise when you do a back to back.

• 3 weeks later...
I think that would be nice if they did let you do that. I'm just glad that at least they let you bring through one bottle / cruise when you do a back to back.

Just to let you know this is changed!! When I boarded for my back to back to back on February 13th they treated me like I was a criminal at the port for bringing my one bottle per cruise! This is despite the fact that I had checked with John Heald and carnival prior to the cruise and I had three boarding passes in my hand!!! I'm trying NCL next month. I don't feel like Carnival even cares what I as a customer want any more.

This might not be consistent on all ships. When I was on Conquest in November, they did offer the 50% off wine discount on the first night in the steakhouse. I was able to buy at 50% off for wine I would consume during this first night steakhouse dinner. I was also able to order additional wine at 50% off for my next steakhouse reservation for later in the week. They would hold on to the wine and deliver it to the table for my next reservation. I was told I could only order wine at 50% off for wine to be consumed only in the steakhouse. They seemed to be strict on this policy. I did have some wine left over and I did take it with me without a problem.

Just be prepared that not all of the steakhouses will let you buy at 50% off for wine to be consumed outside of the steakhouse. It is still a good deal for me because I normally go the the steakhouse twice during a cruise.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Just to let you know this is changed!! When I boarded for my back to back to back on February 13th they treated me like I was a criminal at the port for bringing my one bottle per cruise! This is despite the fact that I had checked with John Heald and carnival prior to the cruise and I had three boarding passes in my hand!!! I'm trying NCL next month. I don't feel like Carnival even cares what I as a customer want any more.

Isn't that TSA? To be fair, I don't think how they treated you was Carnival's fault.

Isn't that TSA? To be fair, I don't think how they treated you was Carnival's fault.

Bull crap! Do you really think TSA cares whether I bring a bottle of wine aboard a Carnival ship! It just Carnival pinching those pennies afraid somebody might drink a glass of wine that they didn't get to sell them! They wouldn't get away with that crap if Carnival didn't allow it and indeed encourage it!

Edited by Jana60

They yanked my personal property out of my arms and confined me to the Security area until Carnival told them it was ok. Because the girl in security was pissed off at me for asking that she check with Carnival she confined me to the security area while she took care of a long line of other passengers before dialing Carnival on her walkie talkie and asking them! So YES! I define that as being treated like a prisoner! Worse than what you describe since I wasn't informed of any rights!

If I had been treated so poorly, I wouldn't give them my business in the future.

I hope you opt to do so.

If I had been treated so poorly, I wouldn't give them my business in the future.

I hope you opt to do so.

It is a dilemma. In the space of less than a year I've gone from being what most would call a carnival fan to feeling very disillusioned by them. Because I've had so many wonderful cruises with them I have persisted in giving them the benefit of the doubt but with each cruise they seem to get worse. I complained on board concerning their check in process as well as the decline in food quality and the extremely long delays in room service and in obtaining a drink on board. It now takes typically 15 to 20 minutes to obtain a diet coke unless you're paying cash (as opposed to soda card) and then they seem to respond very quickly with the order. Unless you put the card on the door for morning continental breakfast delivery any order from room service took an average 1 hour or greater or didn't arrive at all! I was advised by the people on board to write or call carnival corporate but at this point I just don't know that it's worth my time. I will be sailing on Norwegian Jade for spring break and will use that as a comparison. If it still ends up that my Carnival Cruises are overall better then with other cruise lines then I might consider calling them to see if we can correct the problems that are developing but if I have a much better time on another cruise line it's probably not worth my time to bother!

It is a dilemma. In the space of less than a year I've gone from being what most would call a carnival fan to feeling very disillusioned by them. Because I've had so many wonderful cruises with them I have persisted in giving them the benefit of the doubt but with each cruise they seem to get worse. I complained on board concerning their check in process as well as the decline in food quality and the extremely long delays in room service and in obtaining a drink on board. It now takes typically 15 to 20 minutes to obtain a diet coke unless you're paying cash (as opposed to soda card) and then they seem to respond very quickly with the order. Unless you put the card on the door for morning continental breakfast delivery any order from room service took an average 1 hour or greater or didn't arrive attach event all! I was advised by the people on board to write or call carnival corporate but at this point I just don't know that it's worth my time. I will be sailing on Norwegian Jade for spring break and will use that as a comparison. If it still ends up that my Carnival Cruises are overall better then with other cruise lines then I might consider calling them to see if we can correct the problems that are developing but if I have a much better time on another cruise line it's probably not worth my time to bother!

There really seems to be little dilemma. A company you previously enjoyed has not been meeting your expectations even after expressing your disappointments. To me, if a company failed to appreciate my concerns and demonstrate to me efforts to improve I would understand it's time to move on.

I hope when you turn your attention to NCL you have the fresh, attentive, promptly served vacation you expect. If not, we know where you'll be.

No, it's port security, not TSA personnel (they are only at the airports). They enforce Carnival's regulations.

Edited by TaDaaa!

Seems to be hit or miss. At Port Canaveral we've done 3 B2Bs and brought 4 bottles of wine for the 2 of us. First time Security called for a Supervisor and we were OKed.

Second time, we explained to the gentleman loading bags on the conveyor belt that we had 4 bottles of wine for our B2B. He alerted the screener and we went through with no problems.

Third time we alerted the screener and the person on the other side of the metal detector that we had 4 bottles of wine and showed them our boarding passes for both cruises. They didn't seem to understand and we asked for a Carnival Supervisor. They kind of ignored us and slowed everyone behind us.

They never called a Supervisor, but finally said "Go ahead - we are here temporarily from Miami and we don't know the rules." :eek:

Edited by tandemcruzr

Back to the original question of how many bottles of wine for a solo cruiser... if it were me, I would saunter through security with two bottles. The assumption would be that I was carrying them through for my 2 person stateroom (which I always do for me and dh). Nobody has ever asked me to identify the other passenger in my cabin. I doubt anyone would say "woah... you are a SINGLE CRUISER, give us one of those bottles!" They don't know you are a cabin-for-one. Is this breaking the rules? Yah. But since you've already paid 2x fare, I think it's one of those rules made to be broken.

~Denise

Back to the original question of how many bottles of wine for a solo cruiser... if it were me, I would saunter through security with two bottles. The assumption would be that I was carrying them through for my 2 person stateroom (which I always do for me and dh). Nobody has ever asked me to identify the other passenger in my cabin. I doubt anyone would say "woah... you are a SINGLE CRUISER, give us one of those bottles!" They don't know you are a cabin-for-one. Is this breaking the rules? Yah. But since you've already paid 2x fare, I think it's one of those rules made to be broken.

~Denise

I always lug around too much of everything and getting harder and harder and more important not to so slightly better each time..just don't go often enoung in same way.....in a sad good way tummy can not enjoy as much as used to with wine..my favorite Oregon Pinots..sigh...

At ANY Rate with girded calm for what happens temperament this is one thing I think is a small ok "rule break"..as well as TWO OR THREE AIRLINE BOTTLES..for first and last drink and coffee flavor...But now with the TSA and air and sea and hotel for pre etc...don't want work for them or me and mostly a rule follower..lol.

Last time waiting for room I plopped with a tall purchased vodka tonic double in Atrium bar and people watched ..bag of peanuts or something have with you until you get your room..after all the stress finally being there is good..wine for room all the better.

Edited by sjn911

~Denise

That is a good idea. I will try that and if they do say something I will say it is for the other passenger in my cabin. I know that they just want to get people through security ASAP so I don't think they will say anything. Even if they do I will plead ignorance and they can keep the $10 bottle of wine. Thanks for the reply to my post.