Balance of Shade and Sun?

violetsmile

We'll be in Grand Turk at the end of March from noon - 6:00pm. We're mostly planning on a beach day. I know there are places to rent chairs and umbrellas, which is certainly our plan. Is an umbrella enough to effectively block sun for one person?

I can bake in the sun all day, but my partner is very fair and susceptible to not just getting burned, but other physical ailments if she can't cool down periodically and drink enough water. She rarely realizes when it's happening because she'll feel fine in the moment, but then she'll spend the whole evening throwing up because she got overheated. It took us a while to learn this, but it's definitely a thing. I've looked, but can't find anything like a cabana for rent. Other suggestions? We love being outside, and beach days are my favorite, but I want to do everything I can to make sure she's not miserable that night.

Check the Margaritaville website for cabanas. There are palm trees at various places along the beach. The south side of the beach area( to your right off the pier) before the Whale statue has shaded loungers. They fill up fast but worth a shot.

Check the Margaritaville website for cabanas. There are palm trees at various places along the beach. The south side of the beach area( to your right off the pier) before the Whale statue has shaded loungers. They fill up fast but worth a shot.

Looks like they only rent the Margaritaville cabanas through the cruise line, and it's sold out the day we'll be there. I'll just keep checking back, but otherwise, I think we'll hope we find a shady spot, and if we don't, head back to the ship. Since it's a "free" excursion, we won't feel too bad if we have to bring it in early. Thanks for the feedback!

We have been lucky when we have called on Grand Turk as we were either the only ship or the first ship in port. If you are in this situation (you can check on the Grand Turk Cruise Center website) just plan to have at least one of your party get off the ship as soon as permitted and go stake out some loungers under the palm trees to the left of the quay ( as you are walking from the ship.) Our experience is that most people first look around the shops they make you walk through and then go to Margaritaville or through the other shop areas.

When we walk through on our way to Jack's there are always plenty of loungers under the palm trees available.

If you are the 2nd ship in, you are likely out of luck. If that is the case, kep walking down the beach and go to Jack's Shack, you will be able to rent chairs and an umbrella there. The umbrellas are big enough to stay shaded all day if you move your chair around. I am in the same boat as your partner as far as sun exposure. I am pretty much stark white and can burn even with SPF 50, so I need to be shaded and I have no issue with staying shaded at Jack's. Bonus is that Topher will come and chill with you until something more exciting comes along!

IMG_6430_zpsdy9oivzg.jpg

Edited by K&RCurt

When we walk through on our way to Jack's there are always plenty of loungers under the palm trees available.

This is great information! I was kind of wanting to do Jack's anyway, but was concerned the umbrellas wouldn't be large enough. I'm glad to know they are nice and not rickety little things. There is one other ship in port with the exact same times we have, so I'm guessing it'll be tough to find shade right off the ship. However, from everything I've read, I think the lower-key atmosphere at Jack's suits us better!

Have you looked into portable umbrellas? They're are some out there that are very easy to carry and the ships allow them on board with you. I'm gonna guess you can't use it on board, but you can bring them onto the beach with you and not worry about leaving early to find one. It sounds like you would use it often as well so one may be worth the money. Her is an example of what I am talking about, but there are many out there. http://www.sport-brella.com/sport-brella

hero_sport-brella_blue.jpg.55490231de852b84f82c4469e5ed8517.jpg

sport-brella_bags2.jpg.3e602435421f417add728dd7ad72b06c.jpg

Edited by nina_930

You can rent a clamshell on the beach right in front of Margaritaville. That way you can be in the shade as much or as little as you want. Think it was $20 for the day.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that in any of the pictures I've seen. Does Margaritaville do drinks/food service on the beach, too, or no? I know they are expensive, but it's not a real beach day without a couple cocktails. ;)