Recommended Jewelry Stores in St. Martin

Grindem

Many years ago, while on a Celebrity ship, they did their usual Ports talk about various jewelers. One of the "specials" was a 2 carat tennis bracelet at Diamonds International for $699. Knowing what I spent in the US for my 3 carat bracelet, I was curious to see what they were selling. I asked to see the bracelet and then asked for a jewelers loupe (my grandfather showed me how to use one when I was about 10). The salesman replied "if you know how to use a loupe, you wouldn't want this bracelet". He was correct. I have never seen so many carbon spots on one little diamond let alone an entire bracelet.

There is only one store I have bought jewelry and it is Bobby's in St. Thomas. First piece was a solid gold choker 25 years ago. When I came home I saw the exact piece in a local jeweler for 3 times as much. Latest purchase was three weeks ago when my husband bought me a wide yellow gold and diamond (fantastic clarity) band for my birthday. There were three other couples from various ships also purchasing and all said this is the only jeweler they buy from. So confident that one purchased and $11,000 tennis bracelet.

I had a good experience at Majesty Jewelers last year. I wanted a new Raymond Weil Swiss watch (bought one years ago onboard a ship and loved it, very high quality.)

Found just what I was looking for there. I have a small wrist and it needed re-sizing. The man in the shop needed to find another tool outside the shop, worked patiently as long as needed to get the job done, and provided all the warranty registration cards, etc. I'd buy there again.

. Been using Grand Jewelers in st Thomas/st Martin over 20 years. Never had a problem with any jewelry purchased or appraised. The people at Grand have always given me A full price credit when upgrading any previously purchased jewelry. I've been going there so long , Nevin will even let me take home pieces (without payment) to check out. I either pay or return when I'm home. To date I have not returned anything.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You would be better off buying from a reputable jeweller where you live. Anything recommended by the cruise line gives them a kickback and inflated prices.

I could tell you so many stories of shopping for jewelry in the Carib. My wife has gotten some reasonably good pieces, but six years ago she wanted to upgrade her engagement ring and that meant 5 carats and it had to be GIA certified. We looked high and low in the Caribbean and found nothing. We knew we didn't want DI because of a terrible experience there years before. (I let my ego govern the purchase. My fault. Huge mistake). We couldn't find anything, so we returned to SW Florida where I found a jeweler with excellent pricing and a GIA certificate. Plus, he mailed the ring to our home, saving us another $4K in taxes A very happy ending to the story, proving what Casper has noted.

On a recent trip to St. Martin, my wife found an excellent price for a ring in Dazzling Gems on Front Street. I must confess, however, that I have become a fan of Gem Shopping Network on our cable. I like the fact that I can and have returned items easily in the mail, something that might pose a problem with a Caribbean shop. Live shows are available on the internet. Take a look.

Edited by BosoxI