WiFi on Escape: Experiences, Speeds, Stability, etc.

solo_cruiser_85

Hard rain in the Bahamas early am

It may seem slow to you but it's three times faster than the Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas . And totally blows princess away

(I just mean slow compared to your earlier tests, although once it starts dipping below 1Mbps (if it does) it's really no better than the service used to be.)

Agree sea day will be a good test.

To be fair here are seven or eight tests during a busy time.

bea8d8adbf30ebaf6a2f17ce74ad4ce6.jpg.

For me this is satisfactory as I utilize VRBO and HomeAway to make a living 24 hours a day yeah I want to push the button. It's really not work lol.

I also use Wi-Fi calling and texting with AT&T and it seems to work with out much issue

I would recommend the premium on this ship at least for those of you who are similar to myself in the way you generate income.

That is all I hope this has helped.

I've been spoiled...

Nothing beats the overall quality and speed of the internet on the Allure (May '16) which we experienced:

i-83nGkZ6-M.png

------------------------

The internet on the Solstice a couple months later was a big slap in the reality face:

i-s2VXVFC-M.jpg

With that, you could just barely stream Pandora... most of the time.

---------------------

Last month, the service on both the Epic and Carnival Liberty was SO BAD that my speedtest app would not even fully load. On both ships it was basically useless... VERY frustrating - and that's after I paid $20/day for the cruise on the Liberty for their highest (streaming) tier. Yeah... right. My 250 "Free" minutes on the Epic, well... I got what I paid for!

Tom

I'll take 8 megabyte down solid stream no bottlenecking no buffering over 100 that's intermittent.

Royal Caribbean marketed that on all their ships - but it's day and night from one ship to the other check my post on Liberty of the Seas

I continue to have spotty success with text messaging, and am not 100% certain (apparently) just how things should be set up properly:

I'll turn off my cellular data and log in. I get conflicting messages when trying to go into airplane mode, and am not sure how it impacts texting.

Shouldn't texting be utilizing my onboard internet package/data?

I've got a (Verizon) Galaxy S7 edge, and have had so-so results with WiFi calling. On my last three sailings (Carnival Liberty 2x and Epic) it was all but useless owing to the nature of the internet.

Tom

I continue to have spotty success with text messaging, and am not 100% certain (apparently) just how things should be set up properly:

I'll turn off my cellular data and log in. I get conflicting messages when trying to go into airplane mode, and am not sure how it impacts texting.

Shouldn't texting be utilizing my onboard internet package/data?

I've got a (Verizon) Galaxy S7 edge, and have had so-so results with WiFi calling. On my last three sailings (Carnival Liberty 2x and Epic) it was all but useless owing to the nature of the internet.

Tom

Sorry, but what ship and plan are you on?

Depending on your device how up-to-date it is and your carrier they should offer Wi-Fi texting and calling it simply uses the Wi-Fi on the ship that's all you have to know.

By the way internet was down from 4 o'clock till 9:30 .....

Depending on your device how up-to-date it is and your carrier they should offer Wi-Fi texting and calling it simply uses the Wi-Fi on the ship that's all you have to know.

By the way internet was down from 4 o'clock till 9:30 .....

Oof. Well, that would annoy me for $250.

(Last time I forked over the $200 on GA, the whole service was down so much I got a partial refund. Not sure why they keep trying to sell a product they don't seem to have ...)

I got off the Escape yesterday and am happy to report I was able to video FaceTime and stream Hulu pretty much all the time, everywhere. I used my iPhone 6S and Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and saw no difference in speed or connection.

Yes, you can only connect one device at a time and must logout of one before connecting the other, but it takes seconds.

I was on the Breakaway last month and had the best internet experience on any ship (versus the Getaway in December - the worst!).

They are now offering different levels of access now, but for the OP, the unlimited will be your best bet.

I own my own business and have to be connected at all times and hate when people tell you to just unplug for seven days. I'm sure it's nice, but being connected allows me to cruise 6-8 times per year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You got off the Escape yesterday we were at Sea did you swim far??

Isn't the Escape running Saturday-Saturday cruises right now? Today is Sunday so the poster could have disembarked yesterday, before you (I assume) embarked.

Norwegian Cruise Line is testing a new internet pricing model that could be rolled out fleetwide by this summer. Dubbed "Freestyle Choice Plans," the options include Social Chat ($35 for seven days), Basic ($189 for seven days) and Premium ($245 for seven days).
Are all of these plans for one device at a time? If there are two people in my room and one of us buys the $189 basic plan, am I understanding it correctly that only one of us can use it at a time? Just want to make sure I understand the rules, thanks!

Are all of these plans for one device at a time? If there are two people in my room and one of us buys the $189 basic plan, am I understanding it correctly that only one of us can use it at a time? Just want to make sure I understand the rules, thanks!

One device per.

dd8d43e4861603a448063df2f4068f02.jpg

HGTV streaming seamlessly

Tomorrow afternoon everyone will be on I'll test it again sea day..

Interesting. They must have made some improvements. When I was on Escape last July, they blocked anything with streaming. I was trying to use my Sirius/XM online service and FIOS mobile apps to no avail.

Interesting. They must have made some improvements. When I was on Escape last July, they blocked anything with streaming. I was trying to use my Sirius/XM online service and FIOS mobile apps to no avail.

Read back in the thread--they JUST rolled out some new test systems on GA and Escape (I believe). One package alleges that you can do streaming and VPN. I'll be on GA in a few weeks and will probably test it out, although the poster on Escape right now (upthread) seems to be experiencing long outages.

I don't actually believe they have any more overall bandwidth than they did before, I think they're just counting on most people using the cheaper/lower BW packages, freeing up more pipe for the expensive packages. Not sure I believe it's going to work that well.

I don't actually believe they have any more overall bandwidth than they did before, I think they're just counting on most people using the cheaper/lower BW packages, freeing up more pipe for the expensive packages. Not sure I believe it's going to work that well.

Other than "new plans", have they claimed any hardware upgrades??

Tom

Other than "new plans", have they claimed any hardware upgrades??

Tom

I have no idea what they've claimed, but I haven't noticed cruise lines to be particularly transparent with their technical claims, so I also haven't gone looking. (Meaning I doubt their press release would say that they've leased more access on the satellites, even if they had.) I only know they are selling a new product.

I have no idea what they've claimed, but I haven't noticed cruise lines to be particularly transparent with their technical claims, so I also haven't gone looking. (Meaning I doubt their press release would say that they've leased more access on the satellites, even if they had.) I only know they are selling a new product.

Hope it's not just lipstick on a pig! :D

Tom