Crowne Plaza St Peters - Rome

Lane1344

Hi,

We are booked into this hotel for a 3 night pre cruise hol in August. I was wondering if anyone who had stayed here had any tips etc about the hotel including the local area.

I know its out of the main city so also any advice on buses to and from the city and where they drop you off.

All advice greatly received

Thanks

Unless you have a specific reason for staying here, I'd book a different hotel. It is not convenient to anything...

Having said that, here's a thread that gives a little information about the nearby area and info on buses & getting into Rome:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952421&highlight=crowne+plaza

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am booked through Royal Caribbean as part of the package.

I had seen and read that thread and thankyou for the link but was hoping for more recent information about the hotel etc.

I was looking for more specific info as I'm a bit of a planner and like to know a lot in advance.

So info and tips regarding the hotel and buses and local shops would be great.

Thankyou

My sister and I stayed at the Crown Plaza for a week in 2011. It was a great experience. The hotel was very clean and was more American with the traditional beds size instead of twin beds. We actually used public transportation and we got our tickets from the concierge desk at the hotel. The bus stop was a short walk from the hotel. The hotel also provided a free shuttle service near the city center and near the Vatican if I remember correctly, which we used each day. While others make detour you from staying far away from the tourist attractions, I actually disagree. Staying in the community was a far greater experience then staying amongst other tourist. We ate dinner at a restaurant that was walking distance from the hotel and we also ate several meals at the hotel itself. We were able to book a day trip to Florence that picked us up right at the hotel and brought us back. The crown plaza worked well for our needs.

Edited by newcruiser1573

We have stayed there several times. Don't know if they still have it or not, but

used to have a shuttle to STPeter's area, and downtown area during the day.

You can email and check if they still do. Also they sold bus tickets. Bus stop right outside the gate. There is a market up the ill on they main street, had a lot of interesting items, also some good cafes around this area, near a metro station.

• 6 months later...

We also are staying at the Crowne Plaza before our Celebrity cruise in September 2016. We already paid for the Hotel, transfers to the hotel from the airport, transfers to the ship from the hotel and transfers after the cruise to the airport. We want to take a tour of Rome before we leave but Celebrity only offers a tour leaving the morning of the cruise from the airport. Anybody have a suggestion on what to do if we are at the hotel with some free time.

The hotel is really lovely. They have a bus that you can get in the mornings that drops you off right next to the Vatican and in the evenings takes you to and from the Trastevere part of Rome which has amazing places to eat. It was very easy to use.

We also used Darkrome tours for the Vatican and colleseum and they were very good.

To get into the city we used a mixture of the hotel shuttle and the local public buses and trains. It was great using the public transport and was very easy to use.

The Italian people are great and are happy to help