Visa-free transit in Shanghai extended

TravelMore&More

Here is an update. I just read on another forum that Princess Cruises is informing passengers that they do not need a visa if they are to transit from ship to plane in Shanghai for no more than 144 hours.

It seems that the message is getting across.

Hi DrFun,

Just wondering how your trip to Japan went last year? We ended up getting a last minute deal on diamond princess around Japan in July last year for 8 days followed by 10 days doing our own thing. Hubby's first time in Japan and he fell in love with the place and the people withing 24 hours. We are planning to go back for longer in Spring over the next year or so. Nice to see you posting here again.

So good to see your screen name, dear friend!

If you don't still have the long report I emailed to you on May 23 of last year (2015, on our return from Japan)--and to which you responded, just send me an email and I will re-send it (and our follow-ups to each other).

It will be good to be back in touch--and I can tell you about our return trip to Japan next Spring! :)

You so graciously provided so much helpful info that made our happy time in Japan all the more wonderful--and we're forever in your debt.

Fondly,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all this helpful info.

What about a 12-night cruise that STARTS in Hong Kong (to which we fly from our home in the USA) and includes a port call for Shanghai (and for Taiwan)--ending in Tokyo? All the other ports along the way are in Japan.

I realize HK and Taiwan are separate from China--but just wonder if those stops make a difference.

Fortunately, it's a year away (2017), so time is on our side--for now. ;)

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Hi Mary Lou. Hadn't seen you posting lately. We are going on Oceania April 14, 2017 for 18 day Singapore to Abu Dhabi but doing precruise in Shanghai for a few days maybe. Been to both Shanghai and Singapore but both were rushed shore excursions. This summer going 12 days in Loire Valley of France and then Rotterdam to Boston by way of Greenland and Iceland. Many new ports. Keep having fun Barbara. (I think we planned Japan trips together/guides maybe though on different trips)

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Thanks for all this helpful info.

What about a 12-night cruise that STARTS in Hong Kong (to which we fly from our home in the USA) and includes a port call for Shanghai (and for Taiwan)--ending in Tokyo? All the other ports along the way are in Japan.

I realize HK and Taiwan are separate from China--but just wonder if those stops make a difference.

Fortunately, it's a year away (2017), so time is on our side--for now. ;)

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

The new 144-hour rule only applies to cruises that begin or end in Shanghai. If you arrive in Shanghai on a ship and leave on the same ship (transit call), you still need a visa for China.

I "think" that it might apply for stops in Shanghai - IF - the countries of your prior port stop and the following port stop after departing Shanghai are different, and also not another port in China. I'm copying below from the announcement.

After the 144-hour visa-exemption policy takes effect, citizens from 51 countries can transfer in China via any of the following ports of entry including Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Railway Station, Nanjing Lukou International Airport, or Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport without Chinese visas by producing their own valid international travel documents and onward air / vessel / train tickets to a third country (region) with confirmed date and seat within 144 hours upon arrival, and can stay within the administrative precincts of Shanghai municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province for 144 hours.

Hopefully, Celebrity will get their act together, and be able to advise as to which itineraries do not require visas.

Hi Mary Lou. Hadn't seen you posting lately. We are going on Oceania April 14, 2017 for 18 day Singapore to Abu Dhabi but doing precruise in Shanghai for a few days maybe. Been to both Shanghai and Singapore but both were rushed shore excursions. This summer going 12 days in Loire Valley of France and then Rotterdam to Boston by way of Greenland and Iceland. Many new ports. Keep having fun Barbara. (I think we planned Japan trips together/guides maybe though on different trips)

Hi, Barb!

Still here and still busy on multiple CC roll-calls for upcoming cruises. I'm emailing you an update. :-)

Hugs,

Mary-Lou

• 2 weeks later...

Just off my QM2 cruise that had only one stop in China being Shanghai. The cruise ended in Hong Kong which Aussies dont need a visa for anyway.

We certainly did require the visa, our stop in Shanghai was 26 March. On check in in Brisbane the staff looked for the visa in the passport. On boarding our passports were taken from us. The day prior to Shanghai we had to go collect a photocopy of our passport which had been stamped and a sticker was attached. We had to hand it to be scanned when we left the ship to the immigration people and again when we returned to the ship.

When we received our actual passport back the day prior to hong kong I looked for the visa which had a mark on it by pen. The chinese immigration people were on board for a few days prior to our arrival in Shanghai. I can only assume they boarded in KK.

Hope this up to date info is useful for other Aussies.

Edited by Tara Jane

Not worth the risk in my opinion of not being allowed to board.

Expensive for one day especially if not required but until this is clarified and confirmed by the cruise company one is sailing I don't see much of an option other than to arrange one. I don't fancy an argument on trying to check in.

Sorry but the new rules only say: travelling TO a third country (Japan) No mention where from.

This is from the official Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection:

144-Hour Visa-Exemption Transit Policy Takes Effect on January 30 at Ports of Entry in Shanghai

02-06-2016

To accelerate the strategy of “Development Driven by Innovation”, sanctioned by the State Council, as of January 30, various ports of entry in Shanghai, airports in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province and Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province are to implement a 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy, which is aimed at the integration of various visa-exemption transit policies adopted by different ports of entry in the Yangtze River Delta area.

After the 144-hour visa-exemption policy takes effect, citizens from 51 countries can transfer in China via any of the following ports of entry including Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Railway Station, Nanjing Lukou International Airport, or Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport without Chinese visas by producing their own valid international travel documents and onward air / vessel / train tickets to a third country (region) with confirmed date and seat within 144 hours upon arrival, and can stay within the administrative precincts of Shanghai municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province for 144 hours. In a comparison with its previous incarnation, the 72-hour visa-exemption transit policy which came into effect on January 1, 2013, this latest 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy represents breakthroughs in many areas and boasts many eye-catching aspects. First and foremost, the length of time for visa-exemption stay is extended considerably. With the previous 72 hours doubled, foreign passengers would have ample time to conduct short-term activities such as businesses, sightseeing, visits and exhibitions while in Shanghai. It would also give leeway to domestic travel agencies in the development of in-depth tour products, invigorate the tourism market and spur the development of the hotel and catering industries. The second difference lies in that the new policy covers all types of ports of entry for visa-exemption transit. Originally, foreign passengers who qualify for 72-hour visa-exemption transit in Shanghai can only transfer to a third country (region) from Shanghai Pudong International Airport and Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, but not from sea ports or rail ports in Shanghai.With the new policy in place, the available ports for transit will not only include airports, sea ports and rail ports in Shanghai, but cover Nanjing Lukou International Airport, and Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport as well. Foreign passengers are entitled to 144-hour visa-exemption transit while transiting though any of these ports of entry to a third country (region).

See here for full official announcement:

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4421

Also a very interesting report on Oceania Nautica call at Shangai from the same official source with mention of the 144 hrs visa free visit ! http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=37&id=4475:

Hope Celebrity will read this!

• 2 weeks later...
Where did you get this from?

We are planning for Grand Asia Princess cruise in October 2016. After phone call to Princess and emails to VISA CENTRAL they say that we DO need a visa because … and here comes Princess’s reason – passenger coming on Diamond to Shanghai, then leaving on same Diamond, is NOT transit and consequently does not qualify for visa exemption. If we would leave Shanghai on another ship, we would qualify.

Reading the new 144-hour Shanghai rule (in English translation) – transit citizens of 51 countries (US, Canada, most of Europe, etc.) staying in Shanghai for less than 144 hours would not need a visa, if … and our cruise itinerary qualifies.

So now the issue seems to be open for interpretation of a term “transit.”

General (google) definitions of “transit” say only about staying for a short time between ships or flights. 144-hour Shanghai rule does not seem to specifically qualify the term “transit” or does it?

In my opinion we are not "transit" to Diamond Princess by we are "transit" to the port of Shanghai. Yet, my opinion does not count. What counts is the opinion of China. I do not read Chinese but could not find anything in English confirming Princess's opinion.

Somebody from Australia (which is on exemption list along with US) recently posted that they did require visa for 1 day stop in Shanghai on QM2 in March 2016. What was their itinerary? Coming from one country / region to Shanghai and leaving to another?

We are planning for Grand Asia Princess cruise in October 2016. After phone call to Princess and emails to VISA CENTRAL they say that we DO need a visa because … and here comes Princess’s reason – passenger coming on Diamond to Shanghai, then leaving on same Diamond, is NOT transit and consequently does not qualify for visa exemption. If we would leave Shanghai on another ship, we would qualify.

Reading the new 144-hour Shanghai rule (in English translation) – transit citizens of 51 countries (US, Canada, most of Europe, etc.) staying in Shanghai for less than 144 hours would not need a visa, if … and our cruise itinerary qualifies.

General (google) definitions of “transit” say only about staying for a short time between ships or flights. 144-hour Shanghai rule does not seem to specifically qualify the term “transit” or does it?

In my opinion we are not "transit" to Diamond Princess by we are "transit" to the port of Shanghai. Yet, my opinion does not count. What counts is the opinion of China. I do not read Chinese but could not find anything in English confirming Princess's opinion.

Somebody from Australia (which is on exemption list along with US) recently posted that they did require visa for 1 day stop in Shanghai on QM2 in March 2016. What was their itinerary? Coming from one country / region to Shanghai and leaving to another?

Shanghai Immigration has published an Interpretation of the Policy. The only requirement seems to be that the prior port Country before Shanghai is different than the next port Country. You have to be heading next to a 3rd country.

http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414

Nevertheless, the question remains whether or not you will be able to board the ship without a Chinese Visa.

I have been working with a rep at Celebrity about the Chinese Visa requirement for well over a month, with no success yet. I even received an email from the Documentation Officer for our ship stating that for our cruise, we do not need a Chinese Visa. I have passed all of this information on to Celebrity (and CIBT) with no resolution yet.

You need to show them this post that lists cruise companies that have already taken advantage of the new exemption: http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=37&id=4475

This is very clear. The Chinese immigration have had transit rules for years. It happens 1000s of times per day and there is no doubt that what you describe is a transit. Actually on other travel forums people sometimes worry that their 2 flights are with different airlines or different tickets. Clearly with one airline or two does not matter. Even flights that stop for a few hours and where people leave China on the same plane, that is also a transit.

I think that your cruise company just doesn't want to bother. You are temporarely in China on your way to another place. This is what a transit is.This is why they created this exemption.

The proof is that other cruise companies are saying it is ok.

Edited by TravelMore&More

I was on QM2 in March. On embarkation in Brisbane our passport was checked for the visa. Passports were taken from us on boarding.

Our port stops were Yorkey's Knob, Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia), Shanghai, and Hong Kong. We were given a photocopy of the important page of our passport the day before we arrived in Shanghai which is what we had to present to the authorities on leaving and reboarding the ship. Chinese Govt officials were on board prior to arrival so I assume they must have boarded in KK.

Hope this helps.

I just received a return phone call from Jenna at Celebrity's Captain's Club, stating that I do not need a visa for our cruise which ends in Shanghai, since we are flying home from Shanghai within the 144 Hour Visa-Free Transit period. She said that Celebrity is working on revising their visa requirements for China. She wasn't sure when this would be accomplished, though.

http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414

Nevertheless, the question remains whether or not you will be able to board the ship without a Chinese Visa. I have been working with a rep at Celebrity about the Chinese Visa requirement for well over a month, with no success yet. I even received an email from the Documentation Officer for our ship stating that for our cruise, we do not need a Chinese Visa. I have passed all of this information on to Celebrity (and CIBT) with no resolution yet.[/size][/font]

Exactly. That is the question. Just as you, I have tried to make unsuccessful head waves. How did you find the Documentation officer for your ship? I was thinking that the deciding source should be a Shanghai's port agent for Princess and how do I get to them?

This is very clear. The Chinese immigration have had transit rules for years... I think that your cruise company just doesn't want to bother. You are temporarely in China on your way to another place. This is what a transit is.This is why they created this exemption. The proof is that other cruise companies are saying it is ok.

Per my running in circle between the two, Princess sent an email to their visa processing agency saying that coming and leaving on the same ship to Shanghai is NOT transit. Obviously what is clear to you and me is not clear to them. Princess sent an email to passengers of their cruise itineraries ending and starting in Shanghai that they do not need a visa. But that is not the same as stopping on the same ship for one day. I do agree with you that they are probably reluctant to bother but sending that email showed that they did look at the issue. I also agree that other companies saying ok, would be a good proof, but other companies do not say that. Or at least I have not found one yet. According to "Sandyss," exactly the same thing is happening with Celebrity.

I was on QM2 in March. On embarkation in Brisbane our passport was checked for the visa.

It appears that you have exactly the same case stopping at Shanghai for few hours. Otherwise your itinerary would have definitely qualified. Since they checked for visa on embarkation, I assume they would have denied boarding to those not having it. Thanks. Your sharing is helpful. It tells me that Cunard did not consider your Shanghai stop as a transit, so I am back to interpretation of this word.

I just received a return phone call from Jenna at Celebrity's Captain's Club, stating that I do not need a visa for our cruise which ends in Shanghai, since we are flying home from Shanghai within the 144 Hour Visa-Free Transit period. She said that Celebrity is working on revising their visa requirements for China. She wasn't sure when this would be accomplished, though.

Your case is different then. Princess did recently contact passengers ending in Shanghai that they do not need visa. No one disputes the meaning of "transit" in this case. At question is the stopping on the same ship for few hours.

I was thinking that the deciding source should be a Shanghai's port agent for Princess and how do I get to them?

Someone on the general Celebrity website provided the url to me. Why don't you ask on the Princess website?

Hello sandyss and its,

The main issue of the exemption here is only based on the fact that you are visiting one place in China - Shanghai. Although yes the term "transit" and the time allotment of 144 hours (mainly the time) is causing much confusion - although these things are mostly difficult at the government level!!

If one is visiting more than one port in China, then a visa is most certainly required. On my trip, I had to have one, I was doing a land tour in other villages and towns - wonderful! Since Shanghai is the only port, although time lapses in between arrival/departure (hence the investigation/delay...they are looking into the 144 hour issue) still, it's only Shanghai and so it does fall within the general language of the visa waiver - there is no transit *within* China...city to city, city to village, city to town.

There *are* still technicalities for the cruise people to work out with the Chinese port agent (as you both know) but the cruise line can't/won't have you arrive to China without the right documents to enter or exit the country, everything will be worked out on this detail. But again, if the *only* place you will be in China is Shanghai, then what has to be worked out is the timing issue on the visa, the location detail has already been satisfied as it was stipulated by the government. Everything will be OK.