St Maarten - Beaches

The_0neuk

There are on going pollution. Issues at Great Bay beach which these resorts are on.

Little Bay is a short $5 pp each way taxi ride that takes about 10 minutes and it has a water sports booth that rents jet skis and paddle boards ect. Just ask to be taken to Divi resort. Chair rentals and food and washrooms are available. It's on the Dutch side and at a resort so even toplessness would be rare.

Is it adviseable to prepurchase for Divi Resort or can we just show up?

You are looking for exactly what I want - please come back on here after your cruise and let me know if you tried KaKao and what you thought. Have fun :)

We loved Kakao Beach Club last year. Beautiful view, great service, very relaxing. Enjoyed lunch back in town before heading to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy Orient Beach. We have gone to the beach on cruises and vacationed there. The only drawback with the beach may be the people trying to sell their wares, but most are soft sell. It is a great beach for enjoying the sand and surf. On most days, you may see some topless, but it isn't offensive and there is a family atmosphere. It isn't like taking your family to a hedonistic environment. Prices can vary from one section to the next, and some offer free wifi, so shop around if you care to get the best deal.

Items I have bought on the beach are a towel that folds into a backpack, and things made from coconuts. The venders can be a distraction, but most are OK with a "no".

Maho Beach is fun, but more for watching the planes than for a beach. When cruising, we usually go to Orient for the beach, take a quick trip to Maho, watch a few planes and a quick meal at the Sunset Bar, and then race to do some quick shopping before boarding our ship. Watch your time, traffic can be bad getting back to the ship from Maho.

I enjoy Orient Beach. We have gone to the beach on cruises and vacationed there. The only drawback with the beach may be the people trying to sell their wares, but most are soft sell. It is a great beach for enjoying the sand and surf. On most days, you may see some topless, but it isn't offensive and there is a family atmosphere. It isn't like taking your family to a hedonistic environment. Prices can vary from one section to the next, and some offer free wifi, so shop around if you care to get the best deal.

Items I have bought on the beach are a towel that folds into a backpack, and things made from coconuts. The venders can be a distraction, but most are OK with a "no".

Maho Beach is fun, but more for watching the planes than for a beach. When cruising, we usually go to Orient for the beach, take a quick trip to Maho, watch a few planes and a quick meal at the Sunset Bar, and then race to do some quick shopping before boarding our ship. Watch your time, traffic can be bad getting back to the ship from Maho.

I would like to do both maho and orient beach. Would we be ok with doing maho first to watch planes, then go to orient for the beach, shopping and for lunch? Want to make sure we would be ok with timing based off of the distance of the two beaches.

I would like to do both maho and orient beach. Would we be ok with doing maho first to watch planes, then go to orient for the beach, shopping and for lunch? Want to make sure we would be ok with timing based off of the distance of the two beaches.

Easy enough to do. Our last time on St. Maarten we got a private tour with Bernard's, went to Maho before lunch for about 45 minutes to an hour, then lunch in Marigot, then spent some beach time at Orient. Definitely the itinerary we'd go for in the future.

I would suggest you book a tour with Bernards Tours. You will get all you are asking for above and will not have to worry about getting back to the ship on time. Plus all the water, soft drinks, beer and rum punch you want....not bad huh??

Bernard runs a very reliable business and gets great reviews on these boards. We have used him four times now and will do so again.

Edited by GTO-Girl

We were there in January - we go there every year. When you get off of the ship, just follow the crowds. You will find an area with all the vans - nice ones, clean and new. Tell the dispatcher where you want to go and he/she will direct you to the appropriate van. It cost use $7pp each way. If you're a group, you might get it for a buck or two cheaper. Orient Beach has a number of places where you can rent a chaise and an umbrella and eat. Beware that there are a lot of annoying vendors on the beach. We ask to be dropped of at Club Orient. If they just drop you at Orient Beach, Club Orient is all the way to your right when facing the water. Club Orient is a private club - no vendors. $20 for 2 chaises and an umbrella. Topless is allowed on Orient Beach. Club Orient permits complete nudity if you want - totally up to you - we are naturists. There are a couple of restaurants on the property.

The Holland House Beach Resort take the water taxi over $20.00 for two people a bucket of 5 drinks 2 chairs and umbrella

12688052_205207743166166_2244551081083961613_n.jpg?oh=d9fbd313129a2f094848e4cb7a42f72c&oe=575C586E

It's now 25 for four drinks. I went this past Saturday as a solo and they only charged me 12.50 for the package with 2 drinks, which was nice. Just be aware, the drinks are water, soda and beer only. I had visions of a few Margaritas on the beach. :)

Maho is a bad recommendation if what someone really wants is a NICE BEACH........:rolleyes: Not to mention the long taxi rides each way. Great to look at airplanes, but a terrible recommendation to someone who wants a nice beach.

I agree Maho Beach is no good for sunbathing, more like a little strip of sand on the side of the road ;)

Any seaweed issues Orient Beach? We are going in about 2 weeks

I LOVE Kontiki Beach Club. Comfy chairs, clean bathrooms, amazing food! Hot French guys wait on you too. Not too shabby :)