Yay or Nay to onboard art?

shaun07

How do you feel about the onboard art?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the onboard art?

• YAY! the art is great
    • NAY! the art is poor
    • I wish they would offer more art
    • I wish they would do away with that art

I voted for the art that is part of the ship decor. That art is great and adds to the overall vibe on board.

The art available for sale/auction is crap IMHO. I want them to do away with that!

Rereading the OP, I see they meant the art for sale. Oh well, I guess I answered the poll wrong but the title is a bit misleading. On board art can be either.

EXACTLY this. I thought the poll was about the art on board, which I find fascinating.

Hate the art sales.

I still don't know why the still refer to them as "auctions" when they have quite a supply of almost piece of artwork.

I guess the same way the ship has a huge "clearance sale" every week.

We go once in a while for the amusement if the weather is overcast or rainy, but never buy anything..

Edited by matj2000

a lot of attitude over this question. Basically btoneill had the best answer. if you like it and dont think of it as an investment, get it; sometimes they're fun to go to if the auctioneer is good or has a good lecture. hit or miss. we dont go to buy it but there can be fun stuff to see.

The Pawn Stars episode with art purchased on a cruise ship should tell you everything about whether it's a worthwhile investment (not at all).

It's fairly obvious that the people who participate in or watch the belly flop contests, are far more discerning and aware than the people buying the art. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

I would never, ever buy the art on board as the "investment" they like to hype it as. If it was so collectible, we wouldn't be seeing exactly the same art on every ship, every line, for as long as I've been cruising.

That said, if you like it, and feel the price is right for you, go for it.

I mean, I was an art major in college, yet I have a print of a watercolor in my bedroom that I bought at Penney's outlet for about 20 bucks, complete with frame. It's not an original, I couldn't even tell you the original artist. So what? I happen to love it.

Edited by srlafleur

It's fairly obvious that the people who participate in or watch the belly flop contests, are far more discerning and aware than the people buying the art. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Hey!!!! On my honeymoon cruise I did the belly flop contest and bought like $1,000 in art!

My wife laughed at prices to get the artwork framed. She took a community ed class on framing, spent a few hundred on supplies, and framed a bunch of our stuff. :)

After spending many dollars on matt work and framing. I decided to buy a matt cutter, since my ladies hobby has grown out of proportion and it is now my occupation LOL. I still take some stuff to the frame stores for colors of matt board for double matting that I do not keep.

I should say Park West's prices for framing are not bad when you compare them to local stores. It is just the art work may or may not have much REAL value.

I really enjoyed the auction and ended up with a walk off piece for about $100. The frame itself is probably worth at least that, so I feel like I got a "deal" after doing some research at home.

With that said, I really loved it and it looks great in my dining room. I will likely attend other auctions, but more to see the beautiful art than anything else.

I bought a few pieces a few years ago. Some people told me the price might not be too bad on the art, but where they get you is the framing. I felt it all was a little too high. I am by far a knowledgeable person in regards to "art " as we like Thomas Kincade stuff, but a few other pieces I liked were high too. A piece is only worth what someone will spend for it.... they didnt seem to budge on the min prices... so the stuff Sat. Whatever !!

As someone with an art history and museological education, who has worked in the art world and now teaches art history, I vote a BIG nay to the art auctions. Much of the material is misrepresented and the valuations are not to be trusted at all. I discourage people from buying from the ships even if it is just because they like the piece because the whole business is so questionable.

On the other hand, the onboard art is often quite impressive. Sometimes they offer art tours (we had a guide on the Serenade; Celebrity often has self-guided ones) of their excellent and varied collections.

If you are really interested in art, skip the auction and use that time to look at the works in the stairwells and hallways instead!

Cheers,

I agree with most of the other posters here.

I have purchased a few pieces of art - or won some - just have to pay shipping. I like what I got, framed it once at home and enjoy looking at it on my walls. Investment - no - but I like it, and it reminds me of the fun times I've had as the art is from different cruises.

They sometimes have Looney Tunes prints, and to be honest where I live it is very hard to find anything like that, or at a "reasonable" price. My DH and DD love Looney Tunes so I have purchased a few pictures/prints for them and they love them.

My DH likes beer posters too, so when we visit breweries and if they have posters he buys one. No investment there. He frames them and they go up in the basement or garage.

I've also purchased "art/drawings" from the locals on the island if I like it enough - same as above, reminds of that island and the fun we had.

Moral of the story - buy what you like and what you want to see everyday. And do not get sucked into the auctions "upsale" crap.

~Anna

As someone with an art history and museological education, who has worked in the art world and now teaches art history, I vote a BIG nay to the art auctions. Much of the material is misrepresented and the valuations are not to be trusted at all. I discourage people from buying from the ships even if it is just because they like the piece because the whole business is so questionable.

On the other hand, the onboard art is often quite impressive. Sometimes they offer art tours (we had a guide on the Serenade; Celebrity often has self-guided ones) of their excellent and varied collections.

If you are really interested in art, skip the auction and use that time to look at the works in the stairwells and hallways instead!

Cheers,

good advice