Equinox-Left Behind

renman22

We are just off the 10 day Equinox Caribbean and after about a million cruises someone actually got left behind. Long ago we were on a cruise and the pilot boat deposited a dad and little girl, but this was a first. Our cabin steward (Lloyd) who was outstanding, told us that they had packed the family's stuff and would be sending it along. I know how the system works but in all of our years of cruising this was the first time that someone really "missed the boat."

Parenthetically this was a good if a bit uneven cruise. We like Aqua and found the cabin service and the food and service in Blu to be as good as we have ever had. On the other side of the equation the ship felt really crowded and the general service varied from not great to non existent. We have been cruising with Celebrity since 1991 and still think that for a mass market line, it is still a pretty good value. Change is inevitable; some for the better and some for the worse. Based on an adjusted CPI it is less expensive to cruise now than it has been anytime prior. Cruising is a multi billion dollar industry and shareholder return is for better or worse the name of the game. We try to be as positive as possible, and let our feet do the talking if we don't like a line. Time only moves forward regardless how much we might mourn for the "good ol days."

Is dependent on which port you ares visiting and IF GOD FORSAKE you do not have pass ports with you. Example Missing a ship in Cozumel or Aruba if you have PP and CC not a great problem to make it to another Major port.

I guess chalk it up to another travel adventure and we, well most of us, know that travel is not rocket science and stuff happens.

We are just off the 10 day Equinox Caribbean and after about a million cruises someone actually got left behind. Long ago we were on a cruise and the pilot boat deposited a dad and little girl, but this was a first. Our cabin steward (Lloyd) who was outstanding, told us that they had packed the family's stuff and would be sending it along. I know how the system works but in all of our years of cruising this was the first time that someone really "missed the boat."

Parenthetically this was a good if a bit uneven cruise. We like Aqua and found the cabin service and the food and service in Blu to be as good as we have ever had. On the other side of the equation the ship felt really crowded and the general service varied from not great to non existent. We have been cruising with Celebrity since 1991 and still think that for a mass market line, it is still a pretty good value. Change is inevitable; some for the better and some for the worse. Based on an adjusted CPI it is less expensive to cruise now than it has been anytime prior. Cruising is a multi billion dollar industry and shareholder return is for better or worse the name of the game. We try to be as positive as possible, and let our feet do the talking if we don't like a line. Time only moves forward regardless how much we might mourn for the "good ol days."

It's not the first time and it will not be the last.

Renman22:

Getting ready to board Equinox in about 30 days. Wondered what your opinion of the new World Class Bar was and also impressions of the entertainment (specifically the party band). Thanks.

Debbie

We loved the World Class Bar in November and went every night for pre dinner cocktails! There was a band, Southern Blu I think, that played swing and jazz. Three women and a guy who were excellent! The party band not so great but they will probably not be onboard then. I'm back on board March 14th and I can't wait...

DH and I were left behind in Rhodes, Greece in October. We missed the ship. Well, to be fair, DH had a heart attack and was sent to the hospital by ambulance. As I was being driven to the hospital by the port agent, I could see the Silhouette sailing away without us. Such a sad sight. We spent 12 days on Rhodes, it's a wonderful place. And he is just fine, BTW.

DH and I were left behind in Rhodes, Greece in October. We missed the ship. Well, to be fair, DH had a heart attack and was sent to the hospital by ambulance. As I was being driven to the hospital by the port agent, I could see the Silhouette sailing away without us. Such a sad sight. We spent 12 days on Rhodes, it's a wonderful place. And he is just fine, BTW.

Glad he is fine.

how did you get your stuff back from ship?

Wow. That's an amazing story. Glad you and your husband are okay. When is your next cruise?

Just got off the Equinox. i did not specifically go to bars to listen to the music. However, we did hear the bands that were in the grand foyer when we were in the card room. We did not hear ANY good music coming from there. There was a band and also a single vocalist....or maybe it was two guys. i don't know specifically but none of it was good music. Very disappointing.

We just got off the Equinox.

1. Band - called a duo were terrible. I mean that the voice of the lead singer was way off pitch IMHO.

2. Jazz band with female singer was pretty good. Easy to listen to and Saxophone player was good

3. Celebrity Band - okay but music was not to my liking.

Basically, we could not find a place to go and dance to 60's 70's music except possibly late at night. Music and dancing by the pool in bathing suits was not our cup of tea.

I did not find the music too loud except in the Ocean View Cafe where it just added to the chaos.

Glad he is fine.

how did you get your stuff back from ship?

Wow. That's an amazing story. Glad you and your husband are okay. When is your next cruise?

It was quite an interesting adventure. I rode in the ambulance with him from the ship, but when we got to the first hospital they decided he needed to go to a second hospital which was better equipped. So they took him in the ambulance and I was picked up by the port agent who had retrieved our baggage from the ship (they had given me about 15 minutes to pack it up before the ambulance came).

The port agent had made a reservation for me at a local hotel where we dropped the luggage before going to the second hospital. I was concerned that it would be very expensive, but it turned out to be €35 a night for an oceanfront room! However, that hotel was closing for the winter in a few days so we ended up moving to the hotel next-door which was €65 a night for a lovely room, huge buffet breakfast every morning and oceanfront views. He ended up staying in the CCU for a week, although it as it turned out the heart attack was very minor. A few days later, we flew from Rhodes to Athens and then to Rome where we caught our previously scheduled transatlantic back to the states!

It was quite an interesting adventure. I rode in the ambulance with him from the ship, but when we got to the first hospital they decided he needed to go to a second hospital which was better equipped. So they took him in the ambulance and I was picked up by the port agent who had retrieved our baggage from the ship (they had given me about 15 minutes to pack it up before the ambulance came).

The port agent had made a reservation for me at a local hotel where we dropped the luggage before going to the second hospital. I was concerned that it would be very expensive, but it turned out to be €35 a night for an oceanfront room! However, that hotel was closing for the winter in a few days so we ended up moving to the hotel next-door which was €65 a night for a lovely room, huge buffet breakfast every morning and oceanfront views. He ended up staying in the CCU for a week, although it as it turned out the heart attack was very minor. A few days later, we flew from Rhodes to Athens and then to Rome where we caught our previously scheduled transatlantic back to the states!

That's a great story with a happy ending!

Been on 11 cruises since 1998- on at least 3 we have seen people left on the dock as the ship pulled away. Once in Bonaire, once in St Martin & once in St Kitts- - unfortunately 2 of the 3 were families with 2 kids- in both instances ship waited an extra 30 minutes or so and as we were a 100 yards or so away from the dock you could see them running down the dock waving- 2 cruises were Princess & one was Celebrity. All were from 2001 to 2009 though. Charlie

I guess the lesson here is to take shore excursions through the ship and you won't get left behind??

I think the lesson is to be a responsible adult and keep an eye on your time and get back to the ship with time to spare. We never take ship excursions, and we have never gotten close to missing the ship, with the above being the sole exception;)

Edited by CathyCruises

So glad that ... ultimately ... everything turned out fine and that your DH is well again! Now you can have some good memories of Rhodes! Maybe a repeat visit there sometime to celebrate his recovery.

My DH (from Germany) and I (from NYC) actually met on Rhodes 35 years ago, and so we also have some very happy memories of the island. 30 years later we chose a cruise on Equinox which stopped on Rhodes almost to the exact day in August that we first met there. :)

I think the lesson is to be a responsible adult and keep an eye on your time and get back to the ship with time to spare. We never take ship excursions, and we have never gotten close to missing the ship, with the above being the sole exception;)with the above being the sole exception

Last year DH and other family had gone to golf on the other side of St. Thomas. They were told NO PROBLEM to get a cab to come back to the ship, but, alas, at the end of the day, NO CAB available. After calling the ship to let them know that they were "stranded" they were able to get a ride with a local delivery truck or van of some kind and made it back with maybe 10 minutes to spare. We were all very relieved! The Celebrity folks on the ship (the Summit) were really nice and tried to be helpful about alternate transportation ideas.

We have taken MANY non-ship tours and other than also being stranded about 45 minutes from the ship for an extra hour once near Marmaris, (Turkey), have had no issue. Neither of these instances were enough to dissuade me from alternate tours. But, we DO carefully check CC for reliability of tour companies.

So glad that ... ultimately ... everything turned out fine and that your DH is well again! Now you can have some good memories of Rhodes! Maybe a repeat visit there sometime to celebrate his recovery.

My DH (from Germany) and I (from NYC) actually met on Rhodes 35 years ago, and so we also have some very happy memories of the island. 30 years later we chose a cruise on Equinox which stopped on Rhodes almost to the exact day in August that we first met there. :)

What a great story! We would love to go back sometime and have a little bit more time to explore the rest of the island. I was able to do some walking around the old town and parts of the new town in breaks between visiting hours but there was a lot more to see. Interestingly, visiting hours were 1 to 130 and 6 to 630, and the hospital was a 20 minute cab ride away from the hotel, so my days were a little disjointed! But the people there were lovely and the food of course is wonderful. It is by far my favorite of the Greek Islands, I loved all of the beautiful trees specially in the old town

Been cruising since 2003 and have been on NCL, RCI and recently on Celebrity. On several occasions, we seen people running like mad on the dock, taxi cabs speeding to the port. But glad to say never saw anyone left on the dock as the ship pulled away. I know the ship blows it's horn several minutes before it pulls out; and you can hear it for quite a distance. and on several occasions they did not pull out at the scheduled time. What were they waiting for? A late returning

Passenger? Possible!

We cruised on EQ 1/2/16 , in AQ....we thought it was excellent in all categories except the new funky shows. "A" for effort but not good overall.

Live music very much improved except fr one duo act..really terrible! . We.even enjoyed the DJs

Did not feel crowded to us anywhere...can't wait to sail on her again

13 were left behind in St Marten..not on ship's excrsions.. luckily .we were on one ..10 of us to Bucaneer Beach..and our driver kind of forgot us...ship's tour, port agent make a diff...they sent another van and gave us a 50% refund.very fair..we were worried. They explained they would not leave us or get us to next port if they had to leave good to know

For those left behind they go into the safe & get their passports and money and leave it with the port agent.. and they rec u do not take passports off in ports..not sure what is best?..

In St Kitts , we went to a great local resort on our own ...but could not get a taxi back to port and walked..not bad dowhill , but very hot...make sure your taxi will be back for you or that you can walk on your own...

Edited by hcat