Cannot book Carambola - what to do?

SunnyKitty

I tried to book a place on Carambola beach, but got a response they no longer accept reservations on that day, but we can try to come and may be they would still have loungers\umbrellas.

I am now uncertain - how big is the place and how many umbrellas they leave aside non-reserved?

I really don't want to be in a big crowd or be left without shade. I am fine sitting on a towel, but shade is a must.

Any thoughts?

I got the same response for our March 2 visit. Now I'm scrambling trying to find somewhere else to go. I don't want to take the chance of going there without a reservation. Anyone have any other suggestions for a nice beach day? I have not heard good things about Cockelshell Beach or Turtle Beach.

I got the same response for our March 2 visit. Now I'm scrambling trying to find somewhere else to go. I don't want to take the chance of going there without a reservation. Anyone have any other suggestions for a nice beach day? I have not heard good things about Cockelshell Beach or Turtle Beach.

Not too sure what you heard about Cockleshell Beach, but it is IMHO the best beach on the island. The beach is located on the southern tip and has the best views of Nevis which is 2 miles across the water. The beach itself is wide, nice sand and gentle entry points. I do prefer Spice Mill,good food, shaded area under a big tree, great staff. It is at the opposite end of Reggae Bar- which I don't recommend at all.

South Friars- which is where Carambola is located is ok..The beach area is protected so no waves, walking down the beach is coral reef which is good for snorkeling but sea urchin warnings are everywhere and the beach becomes almost non existent once you get closer to Shipwreck

Beach-wise, Cockleshell is better than S Friar's (Carambola).

Same response for us! Have decided to go to the marriot. You cannot book in advance, just check in at desk for a day pass when you arrive. Hopefully it is a good choice.

That's what we're going to do as well. I've heard good things about the Marriott.

We are here today after getting dropped off from a tour at 1:45 pm. The sign said no more umbrellas. Hope this helps. The sun is pretty intense today. We are having a late lunch and then will just walk the beach. I would definitely want some shade here.

To be honest, after having been to beaches on other islands, this really isn't the prettiest beach. This resort was very crowded on its beach and kind of dirty if you ask me. If you walked down the beach it got smaller in size and way less amenities. I would look for another beach if you could.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not too sure what you heard about Cockleshell Beach, but it is IMHO the best beach on the island. The beach is located on the southern tip and has the best views of Nevis which is 2 miles across the water. The beach itself is wide, nice sand and gentle entry points. I do prefer Spice Mill,good food, shaded area under a big tree, great staff. It is at the opposite end of Reggae Bar- which I don't recommend at all.

South Friars- which is where Carambola is located is ok..The beach area is protected so no waves, walking down the beach is coral reef which is good for snorkeling but sea urchin warnings are everywhere and the beach becomes almost non existent once you get closer to Shipwreck

Can you tell me why you don't recommend Reggae Bar? I was thinking about planning to go there when visiting? Thanks.

Can you tell me why you don't recommend Reggae Bar? I was thinking about planning to go there when visiting? Thanks.

Having stayed in St Kitts many times - my youngest goes to school here. Cockleshell is our goto beach. Reggae beach is IMHO tired looking, the loungers are the plastic strappings from the 70's era. Reggae is located on the far left of the beach, by the dock. The dock is used for the water taxis to and from Nevis, and has a few watercraft boats in the dock area. We do walk the beach everytime we go, and each time we go, we are glad that we are not spending the day there. The shallow area is a meeting point for socializing, with drinks, the water in that area is murky, the entry/exit in and out of the water is steeper and water shoes is a must as that part of the beach is very shelly. Just not what we are looking for when we spend a day at the beach.

We do prefer Spice Mill which is at the far right of the beach. The vibe is classier, the chairs are new and in good repair, and the food is good, staff are awesome. The beach is calm and entry/exit is easier and not as many shells

We went to Mundo's which was not far from reggae beach. We walked down to Reggae snorkle but relaxed in the water at Mundo's. Its all the same stretch of beach. So you can ask to go to cockleshell and pick where you want to be.

We went to Mundo's which was not far from reggae beach. We walked down to Reggae snorkle but relaxed in the water at Mundo's. Its all the same stretch of beach. So you can ask to go to cockleshell and pick where you want to be.

All depends in what you are looking for. Have tried Mundos as well, do not like the idea that the umbrellas are stationary and you have to pay for them whether you want one or not. Asking for a chair without an umbrella seemed difficult for them to comprehend. The 3 times we have been the wifi was not working, same story each time...woman looks at phone and says mine is working, must be your phone. The johnny on the spot for a washroom- we prefer flushing toilets. At least now they moved it away from the food serving area.

I had a response yesterday confirming our reservation for sunbeds and umbrella.

Umbrellas are scarce, last time we were there they only had 12 but were buying more. They do have 2 large tented areas, although not ideal will give shade to many.

I had no response to emails sent thru their website, I used their email address and had two replies, one saying all sunbed reserved then a day later another email from a different person saying my reservation was confirmed. Left hand, Right hand..............!

Marriott is a good choice, $35 pp is a fair price. DON'T useResort for a day they charge $58pp.

Edited by mickey89

Same response for us! Have decided to go to the marriot. You cannot book in advance, just check in at desk for a day pass when you arrive. Hopefully it is a good choice.

Last year Marriott Resort was plagued with SEAWEED. Although their staff did an admirable work of clearing it, but did smell somewhat. It is far more prolific being the Atlantic side of the Island, if the problem is there again I would definitely AVOID.

Last year Marriott Resort was plagued with SEAWEED. Although their staff did an admirable work of clearing it, but did smell somewhat. It is far more prolific being the Atlantic side of the Island, if the problem is there again I would definitely AVOID.

My parents stayed at the Marriott last month, the beach was covered with seaweed. The shoreline was like a carpet of seaweed

Yes went there last year, far right of the beach there is a man-made lagoon. The beach is called South Friars not Carambola, thats the name of the beach restaurant. We saw sting rays there and plenty of fish, hard to beat on St Kitts. If you look on Google Earth the lagoon is very visible.

Edited by mickey89

• 11 months later...