Sapphire Princess vs. Summit vs. Radiance?

HobsonDD464

We're looking at these three ships for Alaska in August 2006. I'd welcome comparisons from people on these ships, particularly for Princess mini-suites vs. Summit sky suites vs. Radiance of the Seas junior suites. We have been on Princess before and are familiar with the mini-suite layout, but haven't had any experience on the other two ships. There's three of us (husband, wife, 11-year old).

Thanks in advance to those of you willing to share your comparisons of these ships on Alaska itineraries.

I was making the same comparison as you and have decided on Radiance for the following reasons:

Although we are 51/52 we feel that RCCL Radiance class has a younger feel that we like.

I have decided that I like the layout and the impressive atrium of RCCL ships (versus the lower ceilings and more subdued Princess decor)

I think the solarium on Radiance looks amazing and I can't imagine we will be using the outside pools.

So although I actually think that the Princess itinerary is better, I booked a pre-cruise landtour and cruise from Seward on Radiance.

Although we are 51/52 we feel that RCCL Radiance class has a younger feel that we like.

I think the solarium on Radiance looks amazing and I can't imagine we will be using the outside pools.

Having sailed both Princess and RCCL to Alaska - there really isn't a difference in ages on Alaskan cruises between the two lines.

All 3 ships that the OP is looking for has large inside pools.

----------------

I have done the Grand class many times (though not the Diamond/Sapphire which I hear is the best of the Grand class), I have sailed the Radiance and Millennium (similiar to Summit). All 3 ships are beautiful. The Radiance and Summit are very simliar in size compared to the Sapphire which is larger. The Coral and Island Princess are very similiar in size to the Radiance and Summit (and if I was to pick a ship for 2006, I would go with the Coral/Island Princess).

Sorry I can't compare cabins - we had a JS on the Radiance but I don't recall it that well enough to compare it to the minisuite on the Grand class.

I can say that Personal Choice dining is fantastic in Alaska. We often found ourselves rushing for first dining on the Radiance and when we were in port late, we ended up doing the premium restaurant. In port intensive itineraries - I give the edge to personal choice dining.

I found the Radiance crowded in Alaska compared to Princess ships I have been on - I am not sure if it is the design of the ship or the fact that more people are inside in Alaska (as opposed to laying outside on lawn chairs) but the ship did seem very crowded to me.

I would definitely look at the times in port for these ships and the ports visited. The combo of Glacier Bay and College Fiords on Princess is excellent.

Good luck in your planning.

I don't usually take cabin size etc. into account that much but of the ships you are considering def. Sapphire Princess for Glacier Bay as part of the itinerary! You simply should not miss cruising in this area. Anytime Dining on Princess is a plus in Alaska too IMHO as port times run into dining hours. Princess has exc. onboard naturalists. Hubbard Glacier is definitely awesome and quite a site but don't miss Glacier Bay if you think this may be your only Alaska cruise.

What ever you decide it might be good to book SOON. Our June 4, 2006 cruise on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas is almost full. There are already no balcony cabins available. Hard to believe since we aren't cruising for 8 months yet!

We had a hard time deciding between Serenade o/t Seas and Coral Princess but the airfare prices were the deciding factor and cost was a concern for some in our group - very expensive for open jaw flights. We are flying r/t to Seattle instead and taking Amtrak to Vancouver.

Archived