Day Tour to Isle of Wight from Southampton

Kingston73

Dorset Tours offer full day tours from Southampton to the Isle of Wight, but the regularly scheduled tour does not fit my schedule. They also have 16 seater mini buses which are available on other days. Would anyone be interested in a tour on May 23, 2016?

Dorset Tours offer full day tours from Southampton to the Isle of Wight, but the regularly scheduled tour does not fit my schedule. They also have 16 seater mini buses which are available on other days. Would anyone be interested in a tour on May 23, 2016?

Hi - I live on the IOW & you can also do this yourself. From Southampton you can get to the island by fast catermeran (20 mins) or the car ferry (1 hour) which runs frequently - you can book/view the time tables at IOW Ferries. There is a decent bus service which also has an open top bus around the island in the summer which is fun Island Breezer

Really...NO ONE thought my silly comment was evocative/funny/a blast from the past??

I had that song queued up to play when my husband woke up on his 64th birthday, and he LOVED the thoughtfulness!

Took me a minute to catch on :confused: - but that's a sign of approaching 64 ... The Isle of Wight, where Birmingham and Black Country folk go to retire and die! Time for the tin hat :D

There used to be a postcard sold on the Isle of Wight (over 50 years ago!) that had photos of 6 attractions that 'You can't' ...

Needles you can't thread

Cowes you can't milk

Freshwater you can't drink

Ryde where you walk

Newtown - which is very old

Lake - which you walk through without getting wet

That is at least a start for places to see! Alum Bay beach was also good to see the multiple colours of sand washed from the cliffs - you used to be able to fill a small test tube with a small amount if each colour but I suspect that that is no longer allowed :rolleyes:

Took me a minute to catch on :confused: - but that's a sign of approaching 64 ... The Isle of Wight, where Birmingham and Black Country folk go to retire and die! Time for the tin hat :D

They used to - now it is France & Spain where they retire & die although if they could sell there houses I am sure they would love to live here :):) (This comes from someone who has lived abroad for most of the last 30 years)

There used to be a postcard sold on the Isle of Wight (over 50 years ago!) that had photos of 6 attractions that 'You can't' ...

Needles you can't thread

Cowes you can't milk

Freshwater you can't drink

Ryde where you walk

Newtown - which is very old

Lake - which you walk through without getting wet

That is at least a start for places to see! Alum Bay beach was also good to see the multiple colours of sand washed from the cliffs - you used to be able to fill a small test tube with a small amount if each colour but I suspect that that is no longer allowed :rolleyes:

I remember that from my childhood, and yes, I'm a Brummie :D. Still have the island shaped keyring full of multicoloured sand somewhere in the loft.

Edited by villauk

They used to - now it is France & Spain where they retire & die although if they could sell there houses I am sure they would love to live here :):) (This comes from someone who has lived abroad for most of the last 30 years)

I'm replying to your post from our French hovel ...:D.

I think the quality of life in France is a wee bit better - just got back from the trip to the baker with fresh-baked bread - and, once we get the bathroom fully functioning (4 weeks+ sans internal toilet :eek:), life will become a LOT better!

Mrs Marchie and I hope to emigrate to France once I hit the 65th birthday - assuming that I finish the renovations by then :rolleyes: Suffice to say that I told her when we bought the house '6 months and €10,000 and we'll have this sorted out ...'. That was in September 2010 :D.

Hi - I live on the IOW & you can also do this yourself. From Southampton you can get to the island by fast catermeran (20 mins) or the car ferry (1 hour) which runs frequently - you can book/view the time tables at IOW Ferries. There is a decent bus service which also has an open top bus around the island in the summer which is fun Island Breezer

I am not planning to be in Southampton in the foreseeable future, but I surely do appreciate your information. Thanks, I look forward to putting it to use some day.