Karaoke, and Entertainment aboard Princess

SkyMaster

Greetings! The lovely, and talented Mrs. Jones and I used to sail Princess a lot, but have been doing Carnival for the last few years. In view of the prices, and lack of incentives offered lately, it appears that we'll be going back to Princess.

I LOVE karaoke, and the shows, and am interested in knowing how much, if any, karaoke is offered, and are the BIG shows as good as they used to be? No specific ship yet, but we'll be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale.

THANKS for any info offered! ;)

"SKY"

Emerald Princess (Western Caribbean Cruise) last week had a "Karoke" kind of contest where anyone could sign up (like America's Got Talent) and first round was auditions (we all had to vote) and then 2nd round, then 3rd round. Prize for the winner was a 6 figure contract from Assistant CD. Not sure if it's on all Emerald Cruises but it sure was a lot of fun watching people singing..

THANKS guys and gals. It sounds like I'll have a lot of fun on my future "Princess" cruises. I truly appreciate all the info!

XBGuy, I've played Tuba for about 60 years now. :eek: I played Tuba, and sang for the U.S. Marine Corps Band. Now I play, and sing for the Lakeland Concert Band. GREAT fun, and it keeps us young. ;)

Hope to meet one and all of you aboard our next "Princess" cruise.

"SKY"

Ken

SM, I just thought of something else that mght interest you. Every Princess cruise over 7 days that I have been on has organized a passenger pop singing group. Towards the end of the cruise they will perform a concert in one of the public areas. I watched one that was staged in the piazza area while my wife and I were having a couple glasses in the wine bar. I have to say that it looked like the performers were having a lot of fun. Check the Princess Patter on Emabarkation or the next day and there will be an announcement on how to sign up for it. Again, my brother did this on his last cruise, and he really enjoyed it.

My wife and I used to have an acquaintance who was a tuba player. A pretty neat guy. I have to say he was one of the few people I've ever met who did not grab his throat and start gagging when I told him that I enjoy Bruckner symphonies. :eek:

Emerald Princess (Western Caribbean Cruise) last week had a "Karoke" kind of contest where anyone could sign up (like America's Got Talent) and first round was auditions (we all had to vote) and then 2nd round, then 3rd round. Prize for the winner was a 6 figure contract from Assistant CD. Not sure if it's on all Emerald Cruises but it sure was a lot of fun watching people singing..

Most likely it was this

The Voice of the Ocean

theVoiceOTO-video.jpg

Everything you love about The Voice® –

at sea!

Rock to the songs. Thrill to the performances. Get ready to discover who among your fellow cruise passengers has what it takes to be a star! Princess Cruises brings you the excitement and spectacle of TV's wildly popular international singing competition to the high seas, live and on-stage, with The Voice of the Ocean. The show comes to life throughout the cruise with auditions, mentor rehearsal sessions, the iconic "I Want You" chairs, three charismatic team coaches and ultimately a live finale performance where guests choose the winner.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/the-voice-of-the-ocean/

THANKS hpeabody, and XBGuy. These activities REALLY sound like a lot of fun. I look forward to being aboard, and perhaps participating in these events. My voice isn't as "strong" as it once was, but I can usually "hold my own" when singing. :rolleyes:

XB, I LOVE almost all music. (Some of the "later" rap, hip-hop, and that type of "stuff" excepted. ;)) There's a joke about Tuba players. (Could be said about almost any instrument.) How do you improve the aerodynamics of a Tuba Players car? Remove the "Domino's Pizza" sign from the roof! :eek:

"SKY"

That "Voice of the Ocean" is fairly new. Before "Voice of the Ocean" they had a contest over the course of a few nights that was less formal. They had a couple heats, and on the last night the winners from the heats would have a Finale and you voted for the best. It really was just Karaoke with audience participation.

That "Voice of the Ocean" is fairly new. Before "Voice of the Ocean" they had a contest over the course of a few nights that was less formal. They had a couple heats, and on the last night the winners from the heats would have a Finale and you voted for the best. It really was just Karaoke with audience participation.

THANKS Maddle. Sounds like a lot of fun, both for the participants, as well as the audience. The only problem I have with that, is that some folks bring a BIG group along with them, and they over power the others, yelling and screaming, to win,,,,,regardless. Really not a big deal, but sometimes a bit unfair to the other singers. Do the singers pick the music they sing, or are there set songs to be performed? Interesting indeed.

"SKY"

I did TVoTO both weeks on my last cruise and had a BLAST!

There is a set list of songs you get to chose from for the big show (in the Princess Theatre), and you perform with the Princess Orchestra, not from a Karaoke tape. It's a good mix (IMO), of genres and styles you choose from and you get 2-3 rehearsals to modify/practice with the band before the main show.

On the 7 night cruise there were two nights of Karaoke "warm-ups" (in Princess Live) and then the audition in the Vista Lounge. At the Audition the Audience votes for the top Seven who then go onto the final (as described above).

Prizes? Chateau de Ship for the runners-up and slightly better sparkling wine for the winner. The winner's tape also gets sent to The Voice's production team.

Like I said, I had a blast doing it. Also totally didn't win, but made new friends =)

Deb

THANKS Maddle. Sounds like a lot of fun, both for the participants, as well as the audience. The only problem I have with that, is that some folks bring a BIG group along with them, and they over power the others, yelling and screaming, to win,,,,,regardless. Really not a big deal, but sometimes a bit unfair to the other singers. Do the singers pick the music they sing, or are there set songs to be performed? Interesting indeed.

"SKY"

For the less formal Karaoke contest, you could use whatever songs they had available, which is a HUGE catalog. I don't remember the lounge being overrun by "groupies" - I found people were supportive of all the singers. There's always some one or two singers that are far and away stronger than the others - but the whole audience is usually in agreement AND - they are very nice to the Also-Rans.

I think it takes nerves of steel to get up and sing Karaoke.

I think karaoke is a hoot but I really dislike that it's always a contest. I just want to have fun! And yes, have totally seen the winner get the prize because they had a big group. Anyway, it is what it is - just wish that sometimes they'd offer karaoke that is just for kicks with no one judging you!

I think karaoke is a hoot but I really dislike that it's always a contest. I just want to have fun! And yes, have totally seen the winner get the prize because they had a big group. Anyway, it is what it is - just wish that sometimes they'd offer karaoke that is just for kicks with no one judging you!

I agree - I think it is much more fun without the element of "contest." Sometimes they do have that later at night - I think it depends on the cruise director's staff.