Using OBCs

clo6216

I have not cruised on NCL in a couple of years. I have several hundred dollars in OBC for an upcoming trip. Can this be used toward paying the daily gratuities which, I assume, will be posted to my account? Also, I want to buy a dining package but have been waiting until I'm aboard the ship so I can use some OBCs. I believe I read on one of the boards that these sometimes sell out and that is why people buy them pre-cruise. Is this true? Thanks for any help with these questions.

You can use OBC for anything that is on your on board account.

However you might find it cheaper if you pay your compulsory gratuities before you board. They have been raised twice in the last year and you can pay at the old rate if you booked before the rate changed.

You should be all right with any dining packages so long as you get o to it as soon as you board.

Mike

I earned OBC with my NCL credit card. When I called to redeem it for a cruise I took in January on the Jewel I asked if I could apply it to the service/gratuity charge and was told no. So it may depend on how you got the OBC.

I have not cruised on NCL in a couple of years. I have several hundred dollars in OBC for an upcoming trip. Can this be used toward paying the daily gratuities which, I assume, will be posted to my account? Also, I want to buy a dining package but have been waiting until I'm aboard the ship so I can use some OBCs. I believe I read on one of the boards that these sometimes sell out and that is why people buy them pre-cruise. Is this true? Thanks for any help with these questions.

If NCL gave you the OBC, then no, you most likely can't use it for the DSC / daily gratuities. Further, it is probably not refundable so you have to use it for something else while on board or it expires. If you purchased the OBC or your travel agent gave you refundable OBC you can use it for the DSC.

You can buy a dining package the first day on the ship with the OBC. I believe they limit the sales of the dining packages to that first day. You can also simply use the OBC to go to specialty restaurants when you like without a "dining package" and pay the cover charge. For us, the dining plans are pretty much a wash, and cost about as much as eating and paying.

• 2 weeks later...
If NCL gave you the OBC, then no, you most likely can't use it for the DSC / daily gratuities. Further, it is probably not refundable so you have to use it for something else while on board or it expires. If you purchased the OBC or your travel agent gave you refundable OBC you can use it for the DSC.

I have a question based on this information: If the OBC you have is the result of cashing in points on the Norwegian WorldRewards MasterCard, is that considered purchased OBC or promo OBC? In other words, can you use the OBC from the MasterCard points to pay the DSC?

Trying to figure out if I should pre-pay the DSC to get the double points or use the OBC from the points to pay the DSC :)

I have also purchased OBC for an upcoming cruise. Is it available immediately upon boarding? I don't want to have to use my credit/debit cards if I don't have to. I have only cruised with Carnival previously and my OBC was available once we boarded. In fact, we didn't use it all and were cut a check upon returning to the home port. :)

I have a question based on this information: If the OBC you have is the result of cashing in points on the Norwegian WorldRewards MasterCard, is that considered purchased OBC or promo OBC? In other words, can you use the OBC from the MasterCard points to pay the DSC?

Trying to figure out if I should pre-pay the DSC to get the double points or use the OBC from the points to pay the DSC :)

I was told by the NCL rewards redemption representative that the OBC I got by redeeming my rewards points could not be used for the DSC service charges.

I have also purchased OBC for an upcoming cruise. Is it available immediately upon boarding? I don't want to have to use my credit/debit cards if I don't have to. I have only cruised with Carnival previously and my OBC was available once we boarded. In fact, we didn't use it all and were cut a check upon returning to the home port. :)

You don't settle your bill until the end of the cruise. So you don't need to use your card to buy anything. HOWEVER, you do need to establish your on board account no matter how much OBC you have (DC, CC, or cash). OBC is in your account within the first day normally but as I said it is really irrelevant as the only thing that matters is the final balance when you close your account.