Arriving in Venice on our own

dancermom09

We're the April 12 Venice to Barcelona cruise on the Sea. Decided to arrive several days early and spend the time in Florence. I think I've figured that part out. We fly into Venice, bus from airport. Check our larger bag(s) at Left Luggage near the People Mover, take the train to Florence and back.

Here's where I'm not sure. We pick our bags up at Left Luggage on embarkation day. If we take the People Mover from there, can we take our bags into the Cruise Terminal to check onto the Sea? We've been told it would be best to take a taxi (car) from the bus station directly to the ship. I understand that Viking does not have a shuttle from the station or terminal? And of course we will not know how far down the ship will be docked until we get there.

Should add I'm looking for the easiest way to get our bags to the ship. I'm not great about hauling or rolling them for long distances, and DH cannot carry them all.

Once we get to the ship and have lunch, what is the easiest way to get to San Marco on our own? We have a 24 hour Vaporetto pass, but should we walk to the Tranchetto (parking lot station); or take the People Mover to the Piazzale Roma (bus station), or Ferrovia (train station)?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by dancermom09

We're the April 12 Venice to Barcelona cruise on the Sea. Decided to arrive several days early and spend the time in Florence. I think I've figured that part out. We fly into Venice, bus from airport. Check our larger bag(s) at Left Luggage near the People Mover, take the train to Florence and back.

Here's where I'm not sure. We pick our bags up at Left Luggage on embarkation day. If we take the People Mover from there, can we take our bags into the Cruise Terminal to check onto the Sea? We've been told it would be best to take a taxi (car) from the bus station directly to the ship. I understand that Viking does not have a shuttle from the station or terminal? And of course we will not know how far down the ship will be docked until we get there.

Should add I'm looking for the easiest way to get our bags to the ship. I'm not great about hauling or rolling them for long distances, and DH cannot carry them all.

Once we get to the ship and have lunch, what is the easiest way to get to San Marco on our own? We have a 24 hour Vaporetto pass, but should we walk to the Tranchetto (parking lot station); or take the People Mover to the Piazzale Roma (bus station), or Ferrovia (train station)?

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest that you take a taxi. The PeopleMover does not travel very far and because of the large size of the Venice Cruise Port, could leave you far from your ship.

A taxi ride would not be expensive. Enjoy your trip!

Also...more searching. Looks like sometimes the ship docks at San Basilio so taxi might be best for that. And others have mentioned dropping luggage off at the Terminal rather than taking it to the ship.

And it seems that the port can change after documents are received, whenever that is.

Thanks, Grant2000. We'll do that.

Any experience taking the vaporetto back and forth from the port area? I assume a bit of a walk from the ship to the people mover, but at least we won't have big bags.

The closest Vaporetti dock is near the Venice bus depot and the adjacent PeopleMover terminal. This website provides lots of useful info regarding transportation services in Venice:

http://veniceitaly.ca/transportation/index.html

Thanks in advance!

1: If you haven't been to Venice before, and if the ship leaves straight away on embarkation, I highly recommend that you cut the Florence visit short and spend at least 2 days in Venice! It is a living museum. You can see Florence adequately in 2 days, but be sure to pre-book entry into the Uffizi and for sure the Academia to see the David statue.

2: Don't know what day of the week you'll be in Venice, but you can also pre-arrange instant entry (cut the line) into St. Marks. When there be sure to pay the extra Euro to see the altar backdrop off to the left, marvelous jewels.

3: The ceiling mosaics there are usually fully lit during mass, the best time to view them.

4: Highly recommend the tour of the Doge's Palace.

5: You can take the Vaporetto along the Grand Canal to St. Mark's square from across the bridge at the train station.

Shoalwater, thanks! We embark on the 12th and the ship stays overnight. So we have almost two days in Venice.

Yes, we have reservations for all of the museums you mentioned, including a tour of the Uffizi and Vasari corridor. One of the days will be spent in Tuscany, so only two days actually in Florence. As we tend to be more interested in Food and Wine than art, Florence seemed the better fit for us.

In Venice, I think the new vaporetto dock by the bus station might be open now, so maybe a little closer to the People Mover? Not so funny story, I am not used to military time, so spaced on booking appointments for entry to St. Mark's. We now have three different times for the first afternoon. Luckily, they were only 2 Euros each, but guess we will see if anyone at lunch wants the ones we can't use. Ha.

Did not know about the jewelry display at St. Marks. Yes, I would enjoy that, thanks for the tip!

• 4 weeks later...
Also...more searching. Looks like sometimes the ship docks at San Basilio so taxi might be best for that. And others have mentioned dropping luggage off at the Terminal rather than taking it to the ship.

And it seems that the port can change after documents are received, whenever that is.

Yes, that's true. We ended up embarking at San Basilio, as you may have read. Before you go to the port, if you can, I would call the ship to make sure you know where the ship is. I called them the night before we boarded using the number Viking provided in their documents, and was glad I did, as everyone on Cruise Critic told me that surely an ocean liner wouldn't dock there. For us, with smartphones and T Mobile service, there was only a very small charge, but might be different for others. I was talking to someone on the Star, probably at the Explorers Desk, so it was a short but re-assuring converstation!

If you dock at San Basilio, things are pretty easy on a vaporetto, although dealing with your luggage on one isn't all that fun, as you do have to walk a bit to the terminal building to drop your luggage and check in. Then there was a shuttle to the ship, or we could walk (not far). I can give you more info if you need it.

Hi Roothy,

Finally our Cruise is only a week away! Our documents state we are at the main Terminal but would like to be prepared in case the ship docks at St Balsilio instead so would like to know what the arrangements are there (i.e. terminal distance etc).

Yes, that's true. We ended up embarking at San Basilio, as you may have read. Before you go to the port, if you can, I would call the ship to make sure you know where the ship is. I called them the night before we boarded using the number Viking provided in their documents, and was glad I did, as everyone on Cruise Critic told me that surely an ocean liner wouldn't dock there. For us, with smartphones and T Mobile service, there was only a very small charge, but might be different for others. I was talking to someone on the Star, probably at the Explorers Desk, so it was a short but re-assuring converstation!

If you dock at San Basilio, things are pretty easy on a vaporetto, although dealing with your luggage on one isn't all that fun, as you do have to walk a bit to the terminal building to drop your luggage and check in. Then there was a shuttle to the ship, or we could walk (not far). I can give you more info if you need it.

Make sure you do NOT have any kind of backpack for the San Marco visit. I had a small, one-shouldered camera backpack and they wouldn't let me in. I saw people in line with very large tote bag sized purses that were as large as my little backpack, so I guess they made it in, but I was stopped. I suppose I MIGHT have been able to get in if I had just carried it like a purse. You CAN check a backpack, but the place you have to go is at least a good 5 minute walk and back from the basilica, so that doesn't work well. Be prepared!

Hi pukekolive! I'll get back to you later today. I need to refresh my memory on San Basilio, vaporettos, etc. and I'm about to turn the computer off for now. San Basilio is a great place to be if you want to go back out after checking in, and when we were there, Viking offered a (boat) shuttle to San Marco. Bad news is that I don't think you can take a taxi there to embark, but I could be wrong. Also, I tried to walk from Piazalle Roma to the ship after going back out and it was a bit of a nightmare. It wasn't all that far, and basically mostly just south, but of course, everything in Venice is hard because you can go one or two blocks and find a dead end that you didn't expect. You can ask for help, but people there know how to wiggle and get where they want, but telling someone how to do it is almost impossible. I did love Venice, though - challenges and all!

I meant to add that if you need to check Star's dock location and you have internet, you could check Marine Traffic or Vessel Finder to see where the ship is on disembarkation day. We were there on a particularly busy day in September, but it looks like most ships end up docking at the regular port location. It was exciting to take a vaporetto past the port and past San Basilio to see all the cruise ships - everything from a huge Cunard ship to one even smaller than Star.

San Basilio Cruise Terminal is served by San Basilio stop of the ACTV vaporetto. Perhaps taxis can go there, as it looks like there’s a road that runs there from the main port area (see attached picture from Google Earth). Someone in the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic could tell you for sure. Alilaguna water bus from the airport, etc. does NOT stop at San Basilio (SB) but ACTV vaporettos do. You can take the 2 or 6, and perhaps one more line, from various parts of the city. The 2 goes to/from many places, including Piazalle Roma (train station, more vaporettos, People Mover “train” etc.) as well as San Zaccaria, which is within two blocks of St. Mark’s Square (San Marco). The site menioned above is quite helpful, as is Venice for Visitors. Also, I used the vaporetto site, actv.it, to see exact routings, times, etc. (see attached.) You need to switch from Italian to English (top right), choose "Itineraries" and then go down to bottom left to select “route of waterbourne routes” and/or “timetables.” If you’re traveling in summer, the schedule may be different than if you’re traveling in other seasons.

Once you get off at San Basilio, turn left and walk maybe 2 minutes, including across one of Venice’s famous stepped bridges, to the port terminal. It’s well marked; can’t miss it. (See attached. Once you cross bridge, terminal is right in front of you). My husband doesn’t do walking with luggage easily, but he found it an easy walk. Viking staff members were outside the terminal to take our bags, and I paused to get out a couple things I wanted in case it took them more than an hour to deliver the bags. We went inside the terminal to check in (fast and easy) and then walked out the back door to a shuttle bus to take us to the ship. It was maybe a minute at most on the bus to the ship. I don’t remember if the shuttle buses were there when I returned around 5 PM after going out, but it’s not a bad walk without luggage. Take an ID if you go back out. Port authorities DID ask for one in addition to my cruise key card when I came back at 5.

To get from San Basilio to St. Mark’s is easy. When we were there, Viking arranged for a shuttle boat from the port terminal to the St. Mark’s area. It didn’t run past maybe 5 pm, and didn’t run really often (maybe every 30-45 minutes? I forget) but it was certainly a nice surprise to read about it when we got to the port terminal. We were only there until 11 the day of embarkation; not sure if they’ll provide it for you, and if so, if it will be provided both days. I didn’t take it, so I’m not sure exactly at SM Square it went, but I’m guessing it was a boat stopped named San Zaccaria VME just a little bit past the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop – perhaps the same stop that the Alilaguna uses. This means you need to turn left and walk over (I think) 2 or possibly 3 bridges to St. Mark’s Square (SMS). (Don’t worry; you’ll see the tall spire there from afar. The bridges can’t be avoided unless you take a vaporetto (or possibly an Alilaguna; not sure) to stops called San Marco Vallaresso or San Marco Giardinetti.) On your way from the San Marco/Zaccaria vaporetto stops, don’t forget to stop at the last bridge before the Doge's Palace to see the Bridge of Sighs. I was told to look out for pickpockets, as it’s very crowded/touristy. You’ll also have to look out for the selfie sticks – ugh!

If you take vaporetto #2 to SMS you’ll end up a little tiny bit closer to the square than if you take the Viking-provided shuttle (assuming there is one, and goes to same place ours did). The stop is called “San Zaccaria” and like with the shuttle, you would turn left to walk to SMS. Keep in mind that there are multiple stops for SMS, and while I finally figured out which one was which, it really didn't matter that much except in choosing a hotel, as each stop has electronic sign boards that tell you where the vaporettos go and when. When going TO SMS via vaporetto, you’ll see the square lit up and a tall spire, so it’s easy to find your way, no matter where you end up. The closest stop is San Marco Giardinetti, right in front of SMS, but any stop named San Marco or Zaccaria will get you close. Piazzale Roma area is a little confusing, but I think I posted some info or a map or screenshot of that in the Ports of Call section which might help.

As to the question of how to get back out into the city from the (regular) port area, I think you have two main choices, but obviously I can’t help much as I ended up not having to pick one! Blu line of Alilaguna (alilaguna.it) goes from the port to a number of stops, including SMS, with about blocks of walking to get there from the water stop location they use. My impression, however, is that you have to be careful of timing, as the boats don’t run nearly as often or as late as the ACTV boats. However, I think we were there on Sunday, when things were a bit curtailed compared to the rest of the week, so perhaps you'll have better luck. I’ve heard most people can walk from cruise ship to where Alilaguna picks up inside the port in just a few minutes, but can’t say if that’s true or not. I think I ran across a map of the port area (perhaps on the Venice port website) that showed where the Ali boats come. Perhaps the link someone provided above has it, or you could just ask the port personnel when you check in how far away it is to where Sea ends up docking.

The other main option is walking to the People Mover, taking it to Piazalle Roma, and taking a vaporetto to San Marco. Be sure to look at when the People Mover stops running, as I think it was 7 or 8 PM when we were there on a Sunday. I’ve also read that it can be a bit of a walk from the end of the PMover to the ship, but of course this depends upon where the ship is assigned to dock.

It looked to me like Alilaguna would be easiest and quickest all things considered, but that ACTV would provide more flexibility, especially if I wanted to stay out past late afternoon.

Just some info that might be helpful: Keep in mind that for the vaps, you need to know the direction in which you need to travel. San Marco is west of the port (Stazione Marittima) including San Basilio. Many vaps end up at Piazzale Roma, so if you see that destination, the boat is most likely going toward the west part of Venice, away from St. Marks, but of course, this is where a very basic vaporetto (or any) map comes in handy. If you see a dotted line on the schedule or the word “stagionale” be careful – it means seasonal! Check the boards to make sure you board the right boat in the right direction. We almost goofed up once. ACTV CAN charge extra for a lot of luggage, but we were fine with our 1 big suitcase and one carryon per person. If you want the least crowded experience or to get somewhere fast, stay away from the # 1 and #2, although they do provide a very scenic ride around Venice!

The 24 hour ACTV vaporetto ticket doesn’t work on Alilaguna, which some people take from the airport, or take around to various places. To see if your 24 hour ticket is still valid (good to do as there ARE vap police!) place it against the little fare box at your boarding stop to see if you’re still good to go. Keep the receipt you get when buying one in case you’re stopped by the vaporetto police. My ticket was checked near Piazzale Roma.

If you have time for more reading, I found "Venice for Visitors" to be a helpful site, plus tomsportguides.com.

OK, I'm attaching 2 pictures of the San Basilio area. Have a wonderful time on Sea. I loved Star and can't wait to cruise on Viking again. You'll have to look down the page a bit to find them as we just did another cruise, but my Star & Venice to Istanbul pictures are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

511134938_sanbasiliofromabovewterminalhilton.jpg.a37ec9d774e1f98627ae30c858a70530.jpg

747869255_sanbasiliowaterfront.jpg.de697218c42daa0453fe9827b6d2ac5f.jpg

So Alilaguna and ACTV are different boats? This is going to be confusing. I bought 24 hour ACTV tickets online, so I guess if we want to travel from the port we have to get separate tickets. Checking the Alilaguna schedule, looks like they only depart from the cruise port once per hour, as the circuit takes it around Venice island to the airport and back for the Blue line.

When does Viking send out documents? We are almost five weeks from boarding the ship, but about four weeks from leaving the US!

Edited by dancermom09

Thanks in advance!

Depending on where the ship ends up we always walk from train/bus terminal area and bypass the people mover. Its about a 15 minute walk to the main docks. If you can handle your luggage it a nice walk.

Have done it many times. ;)

So Alilaguna and ACTV are different boats? This is going to be confusing. I bought 24 hour ACTV tickets online, so I guess if we want to travel from the port we have to get separate tickets. Checking the Alilaguna schedule, looks like they only depart from the cruise port once per hour, as the circuit takes it around Venice island to the airport and back for the Blue line.

When does Viking send out documents? We are almost five weeks from boarding the ship, but about four weeks from leaving the US!

Yes, Alilaguna and the other (ACTV) boats don't accept each other's tickets. It's easy to spot and avoid the Alilaguna boats, though, as they're bright yellow and have "Alilaguna" in large print on the side. They also (usually) use slightly different stops, plus use colors (Blu, Arancia/orange, etc.) rather than numbers to designate routes. Although the trip from the port to San Marco may be a little bit more complicated, I think you made a wise choice in getting an ACTV 24 hour ticket. It goes more places, and unless you're set on going to the airport, Hilton Molino Stuckey (which may have it's own shuttle for people staying there), island of Burano, or port, the ACTV boats should get you anywhere you want to go. I loved taking them all around the island, even if I only got off a couple places to sightsee. The architecture on the various buildings on the canals were very interesting to me. The Rialto Bridge, however, was disappointing, as it was marred with advertising and scaffolding.

I felt Murano was interesting but overrated, but I loved the riot of color on Burano. Visiting those islands does take a fair amount of time, though, especially Burano, as it is quite a ways out in the lagoon.

Don't remember when we got our booklet, but I think it was 3 1/2 to 4 weeks prior to leaving. It's a nice booklet, as it has more than just the itinerary, descriptions of excursions, etc. I wonder if they have spares on the ship if you don't get yours in time??? Then again, I didn't really rely on anything much in there, as I had done a lot of research pre-cruise. I would guess that at least some of the info could be obtained from the Explorers Desk once you board. For the larger ports, Viking published a separate little double fold pamphlet which described some shopping and food options in the port, plus port location. The pamphlets were available in racks at the Explorers Desk.

Just coming on here again to clarify something in case future readers see this and are interested in going to Burano. Alilaguna does go to Burano as part of a little packaged trip to Murano, Burano and Torcello and back. If you want to come back on your own schedule, though, you'll need to check to see which boats go back and whether they are ACTV or Alilaguna. Several people coming back from Burano on the same ACTV boat we used were fined because they only had an Alilaguna ticket.

I used a travel agent too. You won't necessarily need a ticket, but each port does things a little differently, so it's hard to say. The cruise lines we've used have never required one, as everything's in the computer. However, once in a while there will be a port employee stationed at the door checking to see if people who enter are really on a cruise that day. We've only encountered that a few times (Miami & Copenhagen come to mind), but I'd take a copy of an invoice, printout from "My Viking Journey," or something similar if your goodies don't arrive before you leave. You won't have Viking luggage tags pre-printed with your room/suite number, but Viking should have spare blank ones at the port terminal you can use. You might want to ask Viking for a good emergency number and take that in case you run into major problems or aren't sure where the ship will be docked.

Even if you leave without having Viking's goodies, you'll probably be OK. In Copenhagen my paperwork was buried at the bottom of my packed bag, and when I mentioned that to the port employee at the door, she simply contacted one of the cruise line reps to see if I was on their manifest. I was allowed in after a couple minutes' delay, so it was no big deal.