Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

We were in Kotor last year on X.

It is stunning and as good as if not better than Turkey.

It remains my favourite sail in/out of any port (Fjord like Vistas with a Med sun) and is one of my top ports of all time.

Get up early for sail in!

Edited by Velvetwater

The problem is this: In order to avoid the VAT tax, the ship has to find a port in a non-EU country. And the only possible non-EU countries (other than Turkey) are in the Adriatic Sea. The May 1 inaugural voyage is the only trip that includes the Adriatic Sea. All of the other Vista sailings do not go north of Malta or Crete. In other words: The non-EU Ports in Montenegro and Albania are too far north to be included on any of the other 17 Mediterranean itineraries. The best that could be done for the other Vista sailings is to substitute a stop at another Greek Island (Mykonos, Santorini, Crete or Malta).

The June 11 sailing does go to Crete and Rhodes.

Actually, if you map it out, we could leave Athens, go to Rhodes, have a day at sea, go to Montenegro, then Sicily. That would work logistically. I'm hoping that they do this. I'm on the May 24th and keeping fingers crossed!

Yes, this would work. BUT your solution omits the stop in Malta. (The ship could not go from Kotor to Malta overnight.) Thus, you would be eliminating Malta and replacing it with a day at sea. Valletta is one of the most interesting ports on the itinerary, and I doubt that many people would want to trade Malta for a second day at sea.

Yes, this would work. BUT your solution omits the stop in Malta. (The ship could not go from Kotor to Malta overnight.) Thus, you would be eliminating Malta and replacing it with a day at sea. Valletta is one of the most interesting ports on the itinerary, and I doubt that many people would want to trade Malta for a second day at sea.

It's much more likely if they add a port. It will be an EU port, Greek Isle, possibly Malta for some of the others. Logistically, it looks very hard and impossible in some cases to do it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The June 11 sailing does go to Crete and Rhodes.

Right. The 10-day cruises originating in Barcelona (May 14, June 11, July 9, Sept 3 and Oct 1) already stop in Crete and Rhodes and would not have the option of stopping in Malta. The only EASY option for replacing Izmir on these cruises would be to substitute a Greek port such as Mykonos or Santorini.

It is only the 10-day cruises originating in Athens (May 24, June 21, July 19, Sept 13 and Oct 11) that would have the additional option of adding Crete. [Day 2 in Rhodes, Day 3 in Crete then the day at sea en route to Malta]

Right. The 10-day cruises originating in Barcelona (May 14, June 11, July 9, Sept 3 and Oct 1) already stop in Crete and Rhodes and would not have the option of stopping in Malta. The only EASY option for replacing Izmir on these cruises would be to substitute a Greek port such as Mykonos or Santorini.

It is only the 10-day cruises originating in Athens (May 24, June 21, July 19, Sept 13 and Oct 11) that would have the additional option of adding Crete. [Day 2 in Rhodes, Day 3 in Crete then the day at sea en route to Malta]

Why not Malta on the Barcelona originating cruises? Could slide Crete and Rhodes back a day, and add Malta after Naples..no?

Why not Malta on the Barcelona originating cruises? Could slide Crete and Rhodes back a day, and add Malta after Naples..no?

When I explored that option, it turned out that the estimated sailing time between Naples and Malta was about 16 hours. A cursory examination of schedules suggested that ships stop at Messina or Catania when traveling between Naples and Malta (as is the case for the Vista on the Athens sailings) Also I suspect that Carnival might be reluctant to change the dates for BOTH Rhodes and Crete, considering the hundreds of shore excursions that would have to be changed. [i'd be surprised if Carnival would even be willing to change the date for Rhodes alone on the five cruises originating in Athens.]

Edited by zeenut

Porting in Malta would not eliminate VAT.

Yes, VAT aside which I personally am not the least bit worried about. I'm talking strictly on the terms of potential (if any) port replacement options. If we end up with a sea day, I am also more than content with that as well.

Is Izmir out for July also?

I believe that they have only announced the removal of Izmir for the first 4 sailings. They will continue to monitor the situation and take appropriate action. So for right now, yes it is still on the itinerary.

I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I just noticed Izmir is gone from the Ship Mate app for the Oct 11 sailing. It was still on the itinerary when I downloaded the app last week. I would be more surprised if they didn't cancel Izmir. Hopefully they'll let us know sooner rather than later.

Following as we are a military family. Turkey had been banned for military personnel therefore my hubbys leave has been denied [emoji17]. We are already $3K in...though the removal of Izmir would be disappointing to some of my fellow passengers, the port change would be very welcomed for my family.

I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I just noticed Izmir is gone from the Ship Mate app for the Oct 11 sailing. It was still on the itinerary when I downloaded the app last week. I would be more surprised if they didn't cancel Izmir. Hopefully they'll let us know sooner rather than later.

It has always said that. From the day the itineraries were announced last year. So nothing newsworthy there.

Spoke with a Carnival rep today regarding a price drop and then I brought up Turkey. She said clearly no decisions have yet been made about any but the first few sailings.

The first few? Well, only one, the first, is for sure thus far it seems....

No. They announced the first FOUR sailings would no longer call at Izmir.

That's old news. They have since changed the first itinerary by adding a new port and said there will be more changes to upcoming itineraries. They said that announcement would come last week and it did not.

i was just checking out excursions for october 1st cruise out of barcelona. There are no excursions listed for izmir and they where there because i already booked one so im wondering if they might be getting ready to completely drop izmir

Edited by housecruiser86

i was just checking out excursions for october 1st cruise out of barcelona. There are no excursions listed for izmir and they where there because i already booked one so im wondering if they might be getting ready to completely drop izmir

If you received a refund, that would be a final answer but I suspect they dont want people booking something they are not sure about yet.