What does "upsell" mean?

freckle378

I was reading some interesting postings on cruisecritic and people were talking about "upsell" for a different room. We are booked on a cruise in February on the Norwegian Dawn. Reluctantly we purchased a balcony cabin in a category BD guaranty. We have always cruised with RCCL and with a Platinum Membership I would trust being assigned a nice upgraded cabin. However, never having cruised NCL, I don't know how they assign cabins. Does anyone know what upsell means? I'm thinking I might want to change my category.

It's mentioned a lot on the Norwegian boards. Basically, you can upgrade at an additional cost. Some say they called NCL and others say that NCL has to call you. There is an upsell phone # posted somewhere on the NCL boards. When you register online, it will have your cabin #. The Dawn is a beautiful ship. You will enjoy your cruise.

Upgrade=When the cruiseline assigns you to a higher category cabin at NO cost.

Upsell=When YOU pay to go to a higher category cabin.

This can be at the rate difference of what you paid vs the rate of the higher category. You usually dont want to do this.

The other is when the cruiseline offers a rate that is usually half the difference or lower to move to a higher category cabin. This is the one you want.

Dave

In general terms, "upsell" means convincing the customer to spend more money than he'd planned. Businesses push this because there's more profit in it for them -- it happens in small things and large things.

So, when you go into McDonald's and ask for a Big Mac, the cashier is trained to say, "Would you like fries with that?" If you buy the fries, you've agreed to an upsell.

If you walk into a car dealership intending to buy a basic, stripped down Ford Explorer, but you walk out with an LX model with sunroof, DVD, and leather seats, the salesman "upsold" you to a higher model.

When you get a new credit card, often the company begs you to add their "credit protection plan", which adds only 9.99 per month to your bill.

Electronics stores are the worst for "upsells". You can't buy a Walkman-type radio without being hounded to add on their "insurance plan", which will "protect you" in case a tragedy should strike your radio. These insurance plans are "upsells".

In the world of cruising, an "upsell" could happen when you start out with the idea of booking a balcony room, but instead you're talked into a more expensive suite.

Archived