What to do in Falmouth, Jamaica?

livinginyellow

Anyone know of anything fun to do in the actual town of Falmouth. As a way to save a little bit of money, and learn a little bit more about the Jamaicans, BF and I have decided to spend the day in Falmouth. We were hoping to explore, eat some food, walk around. Does anyone have suggestions? Also, is there maybe a good beach nearby we could go to? Possibly within walking distance?

Anyone know of anything fun to do in the actual town of Falmouth. As a way to save a little bit of money, and learn a little bit more about the Jamaicans, BF and I have decided to spend the day in Falmouth. We were hoping to explore, eat some food, walk around. Does anyone have suggestions? Also, is there maybe a good beach nearby we could go to? Possibly within walking distance?

Falmouth is a very small town. I did a quick walk-through after another trip.

To me the area to the east is a little scuzzier - small businesses and hustlers. The west had more of a normal feel, churches, govt buildings, etc.

There is a beach to the west as well. I was unable to find access in the short time I passed through. I'm sure the locals know.

You will get inundated on this board by people who tell you "don't get off the ship, Jamaica is terrifying", etc (so why are they going???), but if you are minimally streetwise (don't buy weed, don't fall for scams) you should be okay. Head for the west side of town and ask somebody who isn't lurking in a dark alley for advice.

There will probably be an info booth in the Disney area within the port. Whether they will give you objective advice or steer you someplace where they get kickbacks I can't say.

We went to Red Stripe beach 10 mins from port and a great vibe. The area around the port is very cosmopolitan rather than Jamaican but had a great time at one of the bars in the centre near the ship. Barman was great fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much, everyone!

We went to Falmouth this past Wednesday - I want to explain what we ended up doing, because I feel like most of what is available I haven't heard before on these boards!

I didn't realize that there was a "port" area owned by RCI outside of the dock (and completely safe!). We had thought it was similar to Nassau, a port we did last year, where you got off directly into the town/country. We were surprised when we figured that out - it was definitely not advertised like that.

We ended up staying there, bar hopping and looking around the shops. I really enjoyed the environment that the bars had, especially the Appleton rum bar. Fresh Red Stripe, great music and bartenders - loved it!

I will say we started to walk out of the area, as we were interested in the culture and the city, and we became very uncomfortable once we realized you had to 'check in' to get back. That felt weird. We started walking half a block away and were so harassed by the people who wanted to bring us a taxi, that we went right back in, both to stop the harassment and because we felt uncomfortable at that point - something to note.

We hopped back onto the ship really quick to put my camera back at one point, and we talked to someone in the elevator who said that they took a taxi from someone who offered it within the port area and they said it was the most "sketchy" thing that they had done. They said that it was very uncomfortable and they would never do it again. Something to note for anyone who is thinking about that.

Edited by livinginyellow

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the Falmouth posts. I'm actually looking for a nice bus tour for a few hours for me and hubby. Not interested in any of the more "adventurous" excursions. Anyone got a recommendation for a bus tour?

• 3 weeks later...

Admiral Bailey Consultant does wonderful safe tours. I have used his tour twice out of Falmouth and also in MOBay.The Admiral runs the best tours in Jamaica. We had the pleasure of touring with them again in January. Unfortunately the Admiral was out of the country but his sister Melrose took very good care of us. As a private group of 7 we were picked up at the cruise terminal at Montego Bay. We showed up an hour late (due to time zone change) but Melrose was waiting. The Admiral called while we were on tour to make sure all was well.. On the tour we went where we wanted to go and stayed as long as we desired at each stop. Our agenda included a trip to tour the White Witch House, a stay at Dr. Cave, walking tour of a piece of the hip strip and much more inbetween. In our group we had an 80 y/o lady and another woman with mobility problems so we could not do too much strenuous activities. The Admiral arranged all by email and telephone communications. This is a totally safe way to tour in Jamaica, we were never left unattended for a moment. Upon returning to the ship,the Admiral called again to make sure were were satisfied with the tour. It is hard to please a group of 7 but all had a great time. This was my third time booking with Admiral Bailey and I hope we can book the 4th trip soon,

We used Winston Gayle with TourJamicaToday for our tour. We wanted to go to Blue Hole and lunch and learn about Jamaica. What I loved about him was that he geared the tour to what WE wanted. I wanted a private tour for the 6 of us and he didn't push an "agenda". He asked if we wanted to shop, we told him no and he didn't mention it again. We wanted jerk for lunch so he took us to a good restaurant. He truly did what we wanted. Not to mention, he was a cautious driver and I felt very safe with my 4 kids in the van with him.