HELP: I am considering to cancel a Viking Ocean cruise

morsecode

HELP! We are considering to cancel with Viking Ocean. First, there was the Viking redeployment to a different ship because a new ship will not be ready. We were re-booked but lost some choices. We waited a month and never heard from Viking Ocean about being redeployed so I sent a letter that was not answered. Finally, they called. Next, We have lived in Arizona 15 years, yet Viking Ocean had us flying from Philadelphia. So, I took a half day off work to call them. The city of departure was changed to Arizona. Next, the cruise ends in Bergen, Norway, AND we are taking the post cruise rail to Oslo. BUT, Viking had us leaving for the states from Bergen, NOT Oslo. Our air arrangements are correct, but my statement still shows us leaving from Bergen. At a cruise cost over $20,000, I find these mistakes not tolerable. Are there cruise lines that do not make these mistakes? We don't want to cancel because everything may work out. But, maybe we should get a full refund and begin over with a different cruise line. Sorry for being so long. Thanks.

When are you leaving? Are you early enough to not pay a big penalty?

It sounds like most of your issues have been with Viking Air - if you read other comments on CruiseCritic, this is not uncommon. Your other option would be to cancel all the Viking Air arrangements and make your own. That way you'll get exactly what you want. You'd probably pay more though.

I second id4elizabeth.

I know for some folks booking air with the cruise line adds a degree of comfort and convenience - and possibly a few dollars savings - but I have never seen the value.

Cruise lines sell 'consolidator' airfares which airlines treat basically as 'unsold inventory' so you risk ending up with crazy itineraries and times (sometimes on 2nd tier carriers) and have little or no control over connections, seat selections and the like.

If you're not comfortable navigating the airlines, I'd suggest trying an independent travel agent.

Dear morsecode,

We are very sorry to learn of your mounting frustration. The series of errors you’ve articulated in your post are understandably upsetting but, fortunately, amendable. Before you take action to cancel your cruise, we hope you will allow us an opportunity to regain your trust and reignite your excitement in Viking Oceans.

Please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so we can connect you with a Viking representative to thoroughly review your experience and assuage your disappointment. Although your previous interactions may have suggested otherwise, we value your time and are happy to coordinate a conversation around your busy schedule.

morsecode, thank you for allowing us an opportunity to respond. We look forward to your email message!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

HELP! We are considering to cancel with Viking Ocean. First, there was the Viking redeployment to a different ship because a new ship will not be ready. We were re-booked but lost some choices. We waited a month and never heard from Viking Ocean about being redeployed so I sent a letter that was not answered. Finally, they called. Next, We have lived in Arizona 15 years, yet Viking Ocean had us flying from Philadelphia. So, I took a half day off work to call them. The city of departure was changed to Arizona. Next, the cruise ends in Bergen, Norway, AND we are taking the post cruise rail to Oslo. BUT, Viking had us leaving for the states from Bergen, NOT Oslo. Our air arrangements are correct, but my statement still shows us leaving from Bergen. At a cruise cost over $20,000, I find these mistakes not tolerable. Are there cruise lines that do not make these mistakes? We don't want to cancel because everything may work out. But, maybe we should get a full refund and begin over with a different cruise line. Sorry for being so long. Thanks.

We used Viking Air, but paid the deviation to arrive four days early and then paid the Air Plus to select our own flights. They may have given us the same flights I selected, since there weren't a ton of options from ABQ. But I made sure we had plenty of layover time to do customs etc, not sure Viking always considers that. Maybe see if you can add Air Plus at this date, gives you a lot more input. Kind of silly that they charge for that, but why not?

I have noticed that Norwegian Air, Iceland Air, and Wow Airlines have some smoking deals. No idea how flying on these airlines would be, but you might check them out.

Viking waits a long time to book, then waits until a month out to issue tickets. We requested that they issue them two months out and they did. We were able to select seats and even do an upgrade for the long haul flight coming home.

Last summer we were cancelled on the Elbe due to low water level. We had hone to Europe a week early so did not learn of this until we were there. Viking was able to get us on a diffent cruise and we were glad of that. Problems revolved aroud the flights. So on our upcoming ocean cruise we have bookedour ouw flights. The ship's staff was wonderful in every way , but the business departments are another story. We decided to take our chances with another cruise because the ship and itenerary look great

Would like to ask fellow cruisers to join us on an excursion to The Alhambra. We will have a full day tour from Malaga for $79.00 plus $13.00 for guided inside tour. This is a small group of 10, much more appealing than the ship's big bus tours. Check it out at http://www.SpainDayTours.com. I have been emailing Fran, who is very helpful. Would love to have you join us.

Is anyone doing Viking's Barcelona Flamenco show and dinner? We are considering it and also just doing it on own. Any thoughts on that?

Hope to hear from you.

Bruce and Lynda from CA

Would like to ask fellow cruisers to join us on an excursion to The Alhambra. We will have a full day tour from Malaga for $79.00 plus $13.00 for guided inside tour. This is a small group of 10, much more appealing than the ship's big bus tours. Check it out at http://www.SpainDayTours.com. I have been emailing Fran, who is very helpful. Would love to have you join us.

Is anyone doing Viking's Barcelona Flamenco show and dinner? We are considering it and also just doing it on own. Any thoughts on that?

Hope to hear from you.

Bruce and Lynda from CA

May I suggest that you put your request on the Roll Call for your particular vessel and sailing date. I suspect you'll get a much better response. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

• 2 weeks later...

I would concur with Elizabeth and others.

We never rely on cruise lines to book our air - we like the ability to use miles when possible, and to control our own schedules (we almost always fly in prior to and stay over after), our own preferred airlines, and choosing our seats.

If that is not comfortable for you, I would recommend paying the extra to be able to have flexibility with the air arrangement regardless of the cruise line you are traveling on.

The experience of the ship, crew, food, etc is wonderful on Viking. We have sailed them both oceans and rivers, and plan to do so again.

• 2 weeks later...
All I can say is that we did the Viking Homelands last July and it was one of the best trips we have ever been on in our life. The ship, the staff, the food, and oh my, the gelato were fabulous and we really enjoyed our fellow passengers.

Hello Huntersyaya,

I am not sure exactly how CC works, but I am hoping this message gets to you. We are going on the Viking Homelands Cruise June 12 - 25. We took the Mediterranean Odyssey cruise last autumn and could not have been more pleased. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the Homelands cruise. I have booked a private tour for St Petersburg, but we are trying to decide where else we should do the same. My xperience with private tours has been fabulous in the past, but in those cases we knew just what we wanted to see. We are not so sure as the Baltic is new to us. Any suggestions? If you prefer to answer directly to my email, feel free. Efvail317@gmail.com. Thank you!