Tell me about RC's 12-14 year old program (and convince me not to panic)!

iujen94

We're getting ready to take our two boys (ages 10 and 12) on their 3rd Royal Caribbean cruise (Allure, Independence and now Oasis). On past cruises, they've both LOVED the Adventure Ocean program (as have we parents)! I'm a little nervous now about my 12-year-old moving up to the 12-14 year old group. Is it correct that that group can come and go from the Adventure Ocean area as they please? Please please convince me that I don't need to freak out if that is in fact the case :) I'm generally not a nervous mama, but the thought of my 12-year-old running loose on the Oasis does have me feeling a bit uneasy. I'm also wondering how on earth I find him when we are ready to pick him up. Any words of reassurance/advice from those who have been through this?? Thanks!

My brothers were 13 and 11 when they were first allowed out of sight of parents on a cruise - actually it was a 20-hour crossing of the North Sea, and parents weren't on board. They survived. Someone met them at the other end.

If he's never been trusted out of direct adult supervision before, maybe now would be a good time to start?

Anyone over 9 years old can sign themselves in and out. Look....set ground rules. Tell you kid where you'll be, and if they leave the club, they are to come and find you and get approval for any other activities. It's not hard...teaches them to be responsible, and gives them the freedom that growing kids NEED to turn into responsible adults...that's the aim of the game...right? To have independent and responsible kids?\

I have to say, if you have to "pick up" your 12 year old...something is wrong.....let them grow up! Give them guidelines...and expect them to follow your rules....but don't hover! How embarrassing that would be!!!

Edited by cb at sea

We did run into this problem when our oldest was 12. I think if your child is a physically and mentally mature kid, it will be fine. Ours was not and he was basically ostracized by the older kids. This was probably worse because they collapsed the two groups, so the group was 12-17 and very few 12 year olds would fit in to that situation. They would have let him go into the younger age group, but he felt funny about it once he tried the teen group. I think he was afraid the teens would make fun of him if he went to the younger kids group.

He did just fine following our "meet us here at this time" instructions the two times he went. He was in sixth grade and used to riding the bus to and from home, you know best whether that is true for your child. If you don't feel he's ready, I'd stick with your gut.

Edited by Lialovestotravel
Addition

We're getting ready to take our two boys (ages 10 and 12) on their 3rd Royal Caribbean cruise (Allure, Independence and now Oasis). On past cruises, they've both LOVED the Adventure Ocean program (as have we parents)! I'm a little nervous now about my 12-year-old moving up to the 12-14 year old group. Is it correct that that group can come and go from the Adventure Ocean area as they please? Please please convince me that I don't need to freak out if that is in fact the case :) I'm generally not a nervous mama, but the thought of my 12-year-old running loose on the Oasis does have me feeling a bit uneasy. I'm also wondering how on earth I find him when we are ready to pick him up. Any words of reassurance/advice from those who have been through this?? Thanks!

Your kids will be in two different programs.

Your 10 year old will be with the 9-11 age group in Adventure Ocean: the Voyagers. At this age group, parents have the option to allow their kids to sign themselves out of Ocean Adventure. The catch is that some of the activities (e.g. scavenger hunts) require that the kids be allowed to sign themselves out...if they don't have their parents' permission, they aren't allowed to participate (and have to stay back at Adventure Ocean, perhaps with the younger kids?)

For teens - and yes, your 12 year old is considered part of the 'younger teen' group on RCCL - ages 12-14, my understanding is it's completely different. They don't go to Adventure Ocean, they go to the 'Teen Club', or join up with the teen group activities as they take place at different venues around the ship. Yes, the activities are supervised by staff, but my understanding is that there's no signing in or out of the program.

As far as keeping in touch, well, that's an ongoing question/issue across age groups and families. Common meeting spots in public places are good. Leaving voicemail messages on the cabin voicemail also works. Certainly some type of tech system works best, but that can get pricey...you and your teen would each need a device, and either purchase the internet for both, or use text messaging (if your provider allows roaming on cruise ships) and pay per text message.