renewing vows on shipboard

goat rancher

We are booked for the Jan. 18, 2007 Carnival Spirit cruise (8 day Mexican Riviera). On our last cruise, we toyed with the idea of renewing our vows, but never got as far as looking into what they had to offer.

Now I am thinking of surprising the husband on this upcoming cruise, but the little scrap of information on Carnival website wasn't very promising. I wasjust wondering if anyone had renewed their vows while sailing with Carnival and how that all went. What I read was that they only did it while in port BEFORE the cruise even began. Anyone know if it is possible AT SEA? (I had been thinking to surprise him after one of the 2 formal nights when we would already be dressed up, and then haul him off to the onboard chapel, but from what I read it looks like that isn't possible???:( :( :(

ALso, anyone know price range for this?

The small package is $385.00 has small cake captian does the renewal and it is at sea. the do the 1st timers at port only so it can be legal for them. It sounded like a nice package I call about doing it on our 12-02-05 glory cruise.

Thanks!

I'll go ahead and contact Carnival then....

I'm curious too whether they only have certain days during the cruise or certain set times available when they can do vow renewals...ie. how flexible they are. I assume it all has to be done in the chapel (Carnival Spirit).

Hey goat rancher! We just renewed our vows on the Pride last week. They contact you when you get on board and give you times that the captain is available to preform the ceremony. Ours changed twice because something came up and the captain couldn't do it. Ideally we would have liked to have done it on a formal night so we could just stay dressed up, but that didn't work and we had to do it at 3pm on Tuesday.

It was a sweet ceremony, but deep down I felt as if $385 was a lot of money for cake, champagne, 2 roses, glasses, and a photo holder. We almost fell over when the photographer showed us the pictures he took (which were beautiful) but told us the cost was $1,000.00 for all of them :eek: .

Let me know if you have any questions, I can't guarantee it'll be exact, as you're on a different Carnival ship but maybe it'll be helpful.

I am glad I have some time to debate....I know for SURE we don't want to buy a bunch of expensive pictures....there is enough opportunity to get pics onboard already....

I was thinking 385 was a little steep....I just wish there was a way to get around it....heck we are only taking 2 other people on the cruise (husband's sisters) and we don't need a cake or anything, just the ceremony and a toast....also wanted it to be a surprise and I guess that won't work since they'd be contacting us and then husband would not be "surprised" anymore....hmm....(My "original" plan, such as it was, was to get it arranged on a formal night when we'd be dressed up and then get husband to chapel area on a pretext and propose.....but I guess that would be hard to "guarantee" and 385 is a lot to spend unless I could get a guarantee of timing, more or less, BEFORE the cruise....).....

I agree, $385 was a lot since it was only us and our two small kids. We never finished our cake...it was a two tier and they brought it to our cabin one night but we were too full to even attempt to eat it! A couple of sips of champagne and that was it. They wanted to bring us up on deck to take photos outside and around the ship, now I know why...the picture package would have been $2,000 instead of $1,000. Good thing we politely declined as the kids were getting tired (we have a 7 and a 3 year old).

Bringing him to the chapel is not a bad idea...ours was open, they didn't lock the doors or anything. And they won't tell you a time since I believe actual wedding ceremonies take precedence before the vow renewals.

But if you need the ship vows the captain reads to you I'm pretty sure I still have a copy that Carnival sent me!

Hi,

For Dory.....would love to see vow script.....though still not sure if will use that route

for Kelz....DH was actually the one that brought the subject up on the LAST cruise...we just never took it any further than that.....SOME things I wouldn't surprise him with , but this I could and I know he'd be fine:)

Just a guy opinion...is your DH one who likes surprises? Especially on vacation?

It is a sweet idea, but I know some guys can be particular about vacation surprises...LOL:eek:

Good Point!:eek: There is a shotgun wedding on the AFT(see bar for 6 shots) and a re-elopement special too(maintenance shows up with a ladder)!

Call 1(800) 933-4968 and they will fax the info below to you.

“Fun Ship” Weddings

Renewal of Marriage Vows

Standard Package - $385

Services offered include:

• Special ceremony location

• Ceremony performed by the Ship’s Captain

• Keepsake “Renewal of Marriage Vows” certificate

• Recorded ceremony music

• Photography Service

• One Long Stemmed Rose for the Bride and matching Rose Boutonniere for the Groom

• 2-Tier Wedding Cake

• Sparkling Wine and 2 Etched (“Romance”, “Honeymoon”, or “Anniversary”) Champagne flutes

• One 8x10 Wedding Photograph (Additional photos available at a reasonable price)

This package accommodates up to a maximum of 8 guests, including the bride and groom. Additional guests can be included at a rate of $12.00 per person.

Deluxe Package - $735

Services offered include:

• Special ceremony location

• Ceremony performed by the Ship’s Captain

• Keepsake “Renewal of Marriage Vows” certificate

• Recorded ceremony music

• Photography Service

• One Long Stemmed Rose for the Bride and matching Rose Boutonniere for the Groom

• 2-Tier Wedding Cake

• Sparkling Wine and 2 Etched (“Romance”, “Honeymoon”, or “Anniversary”) Champagne flutes

• One 8x10 Wedding Photograph (Additional photos available at a reasonable price)

• One Hour Open Bar with Hot/Cold Canapes

This package accommodates up to a maximum of 20 guests, including the bride and groom. Additional guests can be included at a rate of $22.00 per person.

Hi,

For Dory.....would love to see vow script.....though still not sure if will use that route

for Kelz....DH was actually the one that brought the subject up on the LAST cruise...we just never took it any further than that.....SOME things I wouldn't surprise him with , but this I could and I know he'd be fine:)

Thats perfect.....I hope everything works out!!!!!!!:D

You don't need an offical celebrant to renew vows as you are already married. So you could do it all by yourselves. Get dressud up for formal night early. (First formal night) Take your honey to the chapel and read to each other the vows you used at your wedding, or new vows, if you prefer. Then go to the captain's cocktail party for free champagne, and get pictures taken in the usual photo locations.

Or have a travelling companion, or even someone from your dinner table read the captain's script....

Anyway, have fun and let us know what happens!

doryv I too would like to see the script from the renewal of vows.

My email is iluvdoxies@cfl.rr.com.

Just put cruise critic as the subject so I wont delete.

Take your time!

Many thanks.

I also have the vow renewal script that they sent me for our upcoming cruise. I'll send it to you in .pdf format. If anyone else wants it, just let me know your email address.

We almost fell over when the photographer showed us the pictures he took (which were beautiful) but told us the cost was $1,000.00 for all of them :eek: .

Doryv, did you have to buy the whole package to get some pictures or could you buy a few individually? I was hoping you could order them the same way you can the photos in the gallery that they take of you.

You don't need an offical celebrant to renew vows as you are already married. So you could do it all by yourselves. Get dressud up for formal night early. (First formal night) Take your honey to the chapel and read to each other the vows you used at your wedding, or new vows, if you prefer. . . . .

OMG, this made me tear up. (Maybe I am just PMS'n). But, what a totally sweet idea. Our cruise leaves on our Anniversary day - and I do believe I will drag my DH to the chapel for our own little ceremony. Thanks for the thought!!

The "unofficial" way of renewing vows sounds like a lot of fun too. Do they leave the chapel open when not in "official" use, or would you have to ask??

Am also curious about the pics too if we do go for the official ceremony.....I'd probably only want ONE, not $1000 to $2000 worth.

For Dory and Momto 5......

Thanks so much for offering copies of the captain's "speach"/vows. You can email them to me at Geolizg@aol.com.

I think, either way, am going to arrange "something" on board....it'll mark our 10th (actually 10 1/2) and husband is such a fine, romantic and loving guy...does things for me ALL the time...and this time it is MY turn to get down on my knees and "propose"

:)

Another thought...

With a little pre-planning you could make it very special and unique.

Take a nice sundress, and tell him to pack a nice island shirt and walk out on the beach - a nice private spot (not the typical beach resort places).

Hand in hand, toes in the sand ... Nothing could be better.

Wishing you the best

Bob out...

p.s. If you wanted to take a pastor to do your renewal, my wife and I are cheap dates and are always looking for an excuse to cruise.

You might check out the Wedding thread as there are also vow renewal threads within.

You also might check renewing your vows at one of the ports. Most likely it won't be any cheaper but you will have a say in the time and day!:cool: This was a big deal to me as I like to have things organized.

Though we aren't sailing your ITN or cruise ship line this time, we are renewing our vows in March for our 25th anniversary.

We thought about doing our own thing but that is work and pressure on us to come up with vows and then memmorize them!! We decided to go with a wedding planner on St. John's who is setting everything up for us and we will renew vows on the beach. (My dream, since our original wedding was very formal.) It is not that much cheaper than the cruise lines price but we get to pick our day, time, and island plus we will have a "real" minister who has been to seminary! The wedding planner agreed to take pictures with our camera.

Good luck with your plans and I hope it is everything you dreamed of. It is really all in what you want from the day.:D

Judi

Archived