Charge slips for Tamarind but not Pinnacle

JennysUncle

Last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam we ate in both the Pinnacle and the Tamarind. At the Tamarind we were asked for a room card and got a charge slip, but at the Pinnacle we did not - but of course in both cases the supplemental charge showed up on our statement. Any idea why the difference ?

Last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam we ate in both the Pinnacle and the Tamarind. At the Tamarind we were asked for a room card and got a charge slip' date=' but at the Pinnacle we did not - but of course in both cases the supplemental charge showed up on our statement. Any idea why the difference ?[/quote']We always pre-book/pre-pay the Tamarind and as best as I can recall we've never been asked for a key card or gotten a charge slip, on either the NA or E'dam, except for alcoholic beverages ordered.

We only eat in the PG when we get a freebie, but IIRC the same has been true there for us.

Edited by jtl513

We ate three times at Tamarind on the NA, each one a reservation made on board. Ate once at the Pinnacle, also a reservation made on board. Also ate once at the Pinnacle on the Oosterdam the two weeks before, reservation on board. None of it prepaid or bundled. I suppose it could be some sort of tracking for the different kitchens - Pinnacle's is shared with the MDR but Tamarind's is obviously stand-alone. Could Tamarind be a concession ?

I'm reminded that a few years ago on several ships, when we ate dinner in the Lido a manager would ask for and check off everyone's cabin number - but that seems to have stopped. I thought of that as a way to catch double-dippers, which wouldn't seem worth the effort.

Could Tamarind be a concession ?
No.
I thought of that as a way to catch double-dippers' date=' which wouldn't seem worth the effort.[/quote']You can eat in both the MDR and Lido every night or ask for 2nd or 3rd servings in either venue if you like ... no need to catch anything, except maybe Fixed diners showing up at Open or vice versa.

I agree with jtl above.

HAL is fine if you want to have dinner in Lido early, come late to MDR and order Room Service after that. Eat however much you want. No issue about 'double dippers'.

Edited by sail7seas

I agree too. I was just trying to come up with an explanation. I can think of some others: 1) double-dipping is allowed, but they wanted to know how much went on; 2) they wanted to know who ate in the Lido (profiling); 3) they wanted to know who didn't eat dinner (like that happens!); or 4) some bean counter decided that if it could be tracked, it ought to be tracked.

I agree too. I was just trying to come up with an explanation. I can think of some others: 1) double-dipping is allowed' date=' but they wanted to know how much went on; 2) they wanted to know who ate in the Lido (profiling); 3) they wanted to know who didn't eat dinner (like that happens!); or 4) some bean counter decided that if it could be tracked, it ought to be tracked.[/quote']

I vote for #4.

There were times when we made a reservation for the Tamarind once we got on the ship.

Although they didn't ask for an ID, we did get a bill.

And it happened in the Pinnacle Grill as well. The last night of the cruise was to have been one of our 2 free dinners because we are 5 star Mariners. Our waiter showed up with the bill. We asked for the manager to come over and were told he was busy with some else. Sure enough the dinner showed up on our bill which we got just as we were leaving the ship.

Never did get any of our 5 star dinners.

Yes -- HAL knows and never responded to us.