Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Melbourne. What a city! I've had a super day.

Getting tickets for local transport on the pier is easy. Bought Hoho ticket. The bus was waiting outside the port gates and left around 9am. We didn't need to change to the City route which was convenient. Two hours later I dismounted at the Queen Victoria Market

It's big. Very very big. They sell just about anything there, including chicks and hens....

I grab some fruit for lunch from the whole food / organic section.

There's a lot to see. Not quite convinced that all items for sale are genuine.

My friend from school appears.... I think its been 40 years. We walk and talk and talk and walk. I would never have seen much he showed me. Super time and of course many pics. Have a pic of 'Chloe'.

Currently sat on Hoho. Will take an hour to get back to pier so plenty of time. This city is heavy on traffic and pedestrians. This takes a different route back to Station Pier.

Hi Linda, Glad you enjoyed my home town. Thank you so much for your review and photos. It's great being along for the virtual ride with you! We are thinking about doing this cruise or one around Australia so your review is giving us an idea on what it would be like. We did the Med last May on Reflection (first time with Celebrity) and really loved it.

Sincere apologies if I have missed you already posting this but could you let us know a bit about some of the staff on board.

Particularly interested in Captain, Captain's Club host and Michael's Club conceirge.

We cruised on Solstice a couple of years ago and wondering if we will meet any old friends....We board towards the end of March.

I have a strange question. Speaking of hair dryers. If I live in the U.S., 110 current, do we need to get a dryer for the ship or can we use adapters?

No need to bring a hair dryer each cabin has one. However, the cabin has both types of sockets, North American 110 and British 220. The hair dryer on the ship uses the 220 plug.

I have a strange question. Speaking of hair dryers. If I live in the U.S., 110 current, do we need to get a dryer for the ship or can we use adapters?

No need to bring a hair dryer each cabin has one. However, the cabin has both types of sockets, North American 110 and British 220. The hair dryer on the ship uses the 220 plug.

We're rocking and rolling this morning..... true wind speed from 4Kts - 18Kts, ship speed hovering around 15Kts

Here's a pic of the sockets in my room

DSCN6034.jpg

The hair dryer is stored in a drawer of the dresser..... a decent sized rubber band would be useful to keep the button depressed so you don't have to keep pressure on it to stay on.

-------------------

My watch battery has given up the ghost. Hannah if you're following maybe we can get this sorted in Fremantle? Not sure what you have planned!

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Sincere apologies if I have missed you already posting this but could you let us know a bit about some of the staff on board.

Particularly interested in Captain, Captain's Club host and Michael's Club conceirge.

We cruised on Solstice a couple of years ago and wondering if we will meet any old friends....We board towards the end of March.

Captain Yannis Berdos is the Master. I've just been watching his talk on the TV that was recorded post-Sydney. Captain's Club host is Rose Dalisay and Michael's Club concierge is Jole Jacoby.

-------------------

My watch battery has given up the ghost. Hannah if you're following maybe we can get this sorted in Fremantle? Not sure what you have planned!

Met Hannah last year on Rhapsody.... and she's on a cruise herself right now back on the 29th. D'oh. Wonder if the ship has anyone can handle a watch battery change.... don't think I'll get the chance in Adelaide..... this half hour back change in the time has got me confused this morning. That's my excuse ok?

The watch shop may be able to do your battery. On the ship. I know they can do a lot of baic watch maintenance.

There are some god jewel lets in Rundke Mall, Adelaide tha will do it while you wait.

I just walked by a table set out with Citizen watches on Deck 4 and the girl there said no..... but then again that's not the watch shop.... thanks for the advice will try later.... am going out with CC friends tomorrow will post our itinerary later.

I pass the basket ball court to be greeted with this

DSCN7184.jpg

I have a few pics of that view..... this one shows how far it seems we are.... or how close.....

I can zoom in on this....

DSCN7185.jpg

I am still learning to not only look up.....

DSCN7187.jpg

DSCN7188.jpg

The buoy to which we are tethered

DSCN7193.jpg

DSCN7194.jpg

DSCN7195.jpg

Tenders are provided by the Port Authority

DSCN7196.jpg

I only just realised they are catamarans......

DSCN7197.jpg

DSCN7200.jpg

Explorer of the Seas is dis / embarking at the OPT

DSCN7202.jpg

Luna Park is across the bridge at Milsons Point, on the northern shore of Sydney Harbour

DSCN7203.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Walking around the quay

DSCN7214.jpg

The area is very well signed

DSCN7215_1.jpg

DSCN7216.jpg

I've walked past the OPT

DSCN7220.jpg

DSCN7221.jpg

There are many plaques to authors set in the ground. The Sydney Writers Walk is a series of plaques from around the International Passenger Terminal on West Circular Quay, down to the walkway between the ferry jetties and the train station, and all the way to the side of the Sydney Opera House forecourt on East Circular Quay. More about this here

DSCN7225.jpg

DSCN7241.jpg

I head downstairs below the Opera House. Ellie serves me a delicious GF snack, the name of which I have long forgotten.... I put her on the spot about which Museum to visit and she recommends the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) There are quite a few food outlets below stairs.

DSCN7244.jpg

DSCN7245.jpg

DSCN7246.jpg

DSCN7248.jpg

The view from the terrace

DSCN7250.jpg

Someone remind me ..... how much is a bag stuffed full of laundry on Royal? Almost choked when this was on bed last night. Sorry it's blurred. $45. Seriously.

DSCN7656.jpg

And you have to do it without tearing the paper bag provided! We laughed as well.

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk