Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Paekakariki

DSCN6501.jpg

Kapiti island previously seen but a clearer view now we are higher

DSCN6503.jpg

Maori chief Te Rauparaha established a base on Kapiti Island, and from this position, he was able to launch attacks on other tribes during the Musket Wars of the early 19th century. Around this time, Europeans began whaling in the area, and on 16 October 1839, William Wakefield of the New Zealand Company arrived in the Kapiti region to purchase land for permanent European settlement. Te Rauparaha sold him land in the Nelson and Golden Bay area. Muskets were the main currency at that time.

Much of this region featured in the the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and King Kong.

We pass lovely farmsteads in the forest and hills.

DSCN6506.jpg

A farmer using old cars to create art

DSCN6507.jpg

DSCN6511.jpg

Craig, my guide..... a super chap.

DSCN6522.jpg

I think this is Earth lounge. Tells you all about recycling, etc.

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes, Earth Zone, interactive screens, very informative.:D

Thanks guys :)

Just watching the news about tropical cyclone Winston..... friends made on CC and subsequently on board are on a B2B2B and due to visit Fiji..... also concerned about what I'm hearing about an incident in Kalamazoo, MI.... used to have family there but I think they moved away....

Just as well I paid attention to the channel the TV had been turned to as clocks go back an hour tonight and it's noted on the first channel. It's mentioned on the bottom left of the front page of tomorrow's 'Daily'. Really not prominent at all. Some of the supportive information I'm used to would be appreciated here..... there was no mention at dinner tonight... no little card on the bed at turn-down.... really impressed with myself that I actually noticed this. So my darling daughters : 12 hours difference between us from Monday.

My lipstick just rolled off the table....

Ship speed 17Kts

True wind 20Kts SE

Heading 310°

There's a mandatory Customs and Immigration inspection tomorrow prior to our arrival in Australia. Australian Border Force Officers have flown out and are currently on board according to a letter received this evening. My appointment clashes with our CC slot pull. Will have to sneak in earlier I guess..... not missing the chance to win some $$!!!

Back in #277 you wrote

[Maori chief Te Rauparaha established a base on Kapiti Island, and from this position, he was able to launch attacks on other tribes during the Musket Wars of the early 19th century. Around this time, Europeans began whaling in the area, and on 16 October 1839, William Wakefield of the New Zealand Company arrived in the Kapiti region to purchase land for permanent European settlement. Te Rauparaha sold him land in the Nelson and Golden Bay area. Muskets were the main currency at that time.

Many of the readers will be aware of the Haka performed by the All Blacks and other sporting teams from New Zealand. The most popular of theses Haka is "KAMATE"

Kamate was written by Te Rauparaha and his tribe still holds the copyright to it although they have difficulty in getting many royalties from it being performed as it is considered by many to be The National Haka and this belongs to everyone

Back in #277 you wrote

[Maori chief Te Rauparaha established a base on Kapiti Island, and from this position, he was able to launch attacks on other tribes during the Musket Wars of the early 19th century. Around this time, Europeans began whaling in the area, and on 16 October 1839, William Wakefield of the New Zealand Company arrived in the Kapiti region to purchase land for permanent European settlement. Te Rauparaha sold him land in the Nelson and Golden Bay area. Muskets were the main currency at that time.

Many of the readers will be aware of the Haka performed by the All Blacks and other sporting teams from New Zealand. The most popular of theses Haka is "KAMATE"

Kamate was written by Te Rauparaha and his tribe still holds the copyright to it although they have difficulty in getting many royalties from it being performed as it is considered by many to be The National Haka and this belongs to everyone

I so value your posts and your local knowledge really does inform and educate. Thank you so much for being 'out there'.

I so value your posts and your local knowledge really does inform and educate. Thank you so much for being 'out there'.

Thank you for bringing last years cruise back into the memory banks.

I understand that Solstice will be at a buoy whilst you are in Sydney. If this is the case you will most likely be tendered into a small jetty on the Eastern side of the Opera House. It makes a walk through the Botanical Gardens a lot easier but means a longer walk to the station and the Rocks.

The Sailaway at 10.00pm is one of the more spectacular as Sydney Harbour is magnificent at night

Thank you for bringing last years cruise back into the memory banks.

I understand that Solstice will be at a buoy whilst you are in Sydney. If this is the case you will most likely be tendered into a small jetty on the Eastern side of the Opera House. It makes a walk through the Botanical Gardens a lot easier but means a longer walk to the station and the Rocks.

The Sailaway at 10.00pm is one of the more spectacular as Sydney Harbour is magnificent at night

My plans for the day in Sydney are slowly gathering pace. Meeting some wonderful people after breakfast and we will tender ashore together. We're planning on checking out the Opera House for events on the 20th, the day we disembark and maybe booking something. Still not sure what we'll do next, if we stick together or not..... I know they want to check out their hotels for after the B2B so I may tag along and see the city.... or not.... I have transfers included and no plans for the 20th; 21st The Blue Mountains then dinner with a friend met on a cruise last year; 22nd the Opera House and then a tour with friends met on the same cruise last year; 23rd head to Uluru.....

Stop.

Wishing the time away. Back to now :)

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Feel free to share one here ;) I clearly wasn't looking in the right place.

I didn't get an invite to the helipad for the Sounds tomorrow..... I did, however, get a lovely glass of red wine courtesy of the Head Waiter this evening when I returned to finish dinner alone earlier as I'd left my smuggled glass on the table when I went upstairs earlier and it had been cleared away..... they did look after my bottle of water though lol

I'd requested a GF tiramisu for dessert this evening..... it was soooooo good..... Told them they can choose what I dessert on tomorrow.

Outside Oceanview still giving two for one specialty restaurants today.

I am up so late struggling to download the 'Daily' for tomorrow. Major fail.

Oh...your GF Tiramisu sounds Yummy! I am getting so excited for this cruise with all your postings. They are just wonderful!

Linda, tell your friends that there is a lunch/play at the Opera House on March 20. The play is Faulty Towers.

Too funny. We're all Brits!

Passed my Immigration and Border Control test. Told there are 1024, or was it 1047(?) on B2B. Real short term memory loss this morning combined with the time change and a sleep in....

Ann Klein watches on sale this morning on Deck 4.

My day so far today. We're well on our way over to Sydney this morning. Internet unpredictable and will try and post what pics I've been able to upload for Akaroa.

We've had a CC slot pull which was dire in result but great fun. 18 of us played. There was only $89 in winnings which the organisers so kindly suggested donating to the charity nominated by the widow of our member who passed away pre cruise. I am overwhelmed at this kindness.

We currently have calm waters.

Struggling posting this to be honest..... there's a dance class happening on the pool deck where I'm sat in a corner by the window..... playing Earth, Wind & Fire..... can't resist moving to the music.... happy happy happy.

--------

Breakfast in Tuscan Grill

DSCN6560.jpg

Blu

DSCN6556.jpg

DSCN6557.jpg

DSCN6562.jpg

DSCN6564.jpg

120 people for use as a tender; or 150 as a life raft.

DSCN6566.jpg

You have no idea how much I dislike 'Art Auctions'. At least they don't pervade the serenity on board with their PA announcements

I agree! At least most of the time they are confined to that setup area, but we were very annoyed to find them up in the sky lounge as well when we wanted to enjoy some quiet time one afternoon.

They must make plenty from the auction contractor, but that bar area next to there would be so nice if it could have been larger and had some comfortable seating. Anyhow, they also seemed to not have the auction announcements on our recent Explorer cruise, instead sending out lots of flyers and cards to invite you there. Seems like a waste of paper, but much better than announcements. :)

Edited by goodycruising