Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

I'm SO glad you divulged the bridge visit in a post prior to Red-footed Booby...I would have been in a full-blown swoon, with all of that excitement in one fell swoop. Can't tell where Booby posed for you. Is it on a bridge-wing rail?

Also, wanted to apologize about my GF comment. If it came across as glib, I certainly didn't mean it in that way. I am curious, though, as more and more folks have become aware of their gluten intolerance...I tend to eschew (no pun intended) GF marked items, either on a menu or buffet, assuming they're for gluten intolerant folks only. I don't want to take portions of the already limited choices away from you and others. What's your take on this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've a reservation at Silk Harvest on Monday and will report back. $20. Made a deal. I seriously doubt they will trump (small t ;)) Murano. If you're only doing one this is the one. I paid $22.50 for Tuscan Grill and $25 for Murano. You can negotiate a price pretty much daily outside Oceanview and there are usually deals to be had on day of boarding too as you get off the ramp!!

I agree, if you are only going to do 1 the Murano wins hands down....unless you prefer a little more casual steakhouse environment then Tuscan would work, Silk Harvest isn't anything special IMO

It sounds like you have become a bit of a VIP on the ship. I am sure that getting to know some of the officers, and especially having a trip to the bridge, will have added to the enjoyment of your cruise.

I agree that Celebrity would really benefit for having you as an employee doing this blog on the various cruises that the Solstice makes! ;)

Your writings on this blog make very interesting and easy reading. You should write a travel book!

Edited by Martin and Lindsey

I agree, if you are only going to do 1 the Murano wins hands down....unless you prefer a little more casual steakhouse environment then Tuscan would work, Silk Harvest isn't anything special IMO

Thank you Linda and Joe for your advice about dining in a speciality restaurant. We are celebrating our Ruby (40 years) Anniversary, so it does sound like Murano will be the place to go. :)

Wow Linda, I went to bed last night around 1 AM and started reading your travels and couldn't stop! Finally went to sleep at 5 in the morning after reading.

It is a wonderful live review, I did the Solstice back in 2014 in Alaska and it brought back some memories. Hope you enjoy those days you have left.

Just a quick question, did you disclose your celiac condition to Celebrity previous to the cruise?

Thanks

Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500 heading to the reef..... 4 reef catamarans will pick them at 2 platforms on the starboard side and take them straight there..... no stop off in Cairns.

Thank you again for your blog! It just won't be the same starting my day without your adventures when your trip is over!

The excursion to the reef sounds like madness! It's good to know they leave straight from the ship. If you come across people who were part of the pontoon trip, please ask for some feedback on whether they thought it was worthwhile. Also, it would be nice to know who the vendor is and what pontoon they went to. Thank you in advance!

Edited by cricketts

+1 on that. Of all the Japanese style restaurants I have eaten on the various ships Silk Harvest was the least impressive. We infact cancelled our package reservation there after experiencing on the first night discount. The sushi was no different than the buffet and the cooked fish is not fresh. The copay was not justified to this place.

The other two restaurants are much better.

The Izumi Japanese restaurant on RCCL Allure of the Seas was much better.

Was trying to catch up on all your posts when they announced that guests with tender tickets 1, 2, 3 and 4 to proceed ashore. This wasn't due to happen until around 0900...... currently 0735...... my CC friends on their independent shore excursions will be delighted. Going to head up to get pics.

Oh, and another question.

Where do you get the 'Dailies' as a PDF. Would love to have them that way in my next cruise.

Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Linda was able to have these emailed to her from Guest Services. Not sure if she had to do further to them but know she has had s hard time with the slow internet speeds in trying to upload them to CC [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Linda, I am a big Solstice fan & looking forward to another voyage in Feb 2017. It's seems such a long time for us to wait but you have given me great enjoyment with your blog in the meantime. Certainly among the best I have read on CC. Love your passion. Congratulations. Kind Regards, Martin from Melbourne.

Hi Linda....

we have been following your blog, what a journey!, ...a wonderful insight into the Solstice and so much information about everything.... you have done a fabulous job with this, and I'm sure so many people will have found it invaluable to help with their cruise planning...

we are just about to board for our 3rd cruise on her, and taking my brother with us on his first cruise, I'm sure he will be instantly addicted...lol...

thank you so much for such a well thought out and comprehensive report, we have enjoyed it very much...

cheers

S&D :):)

Thank you but I honestly think the ship and itinerary (planned and unplanned)are doing most of the work.

Mark :D

When's your next broadcast?

My next will be "LIVE" from MSC Divina on May 28. . .

Keep up the fantastic work ! ;)

Radio

;);)

Cairns / Yorkeys knob tomorrow

From reading CC I'd booked a Cruise Ship excursion and so glad I did. So Australian authorities have to clear the ship once arrived.

1500 heading to the reef..... 4 reef catamarans will pick them at 2 platforms on the starboard side and take them straight there..... no stop off in Cairns.

Then the ship tenders will lower to take cruise ship tour guests ashore around 9am. Then anyone else.

I'm on an excursion to Kuranda via jungle train and skyrail. I booked this back in the UK ages ago...... have learnt from bitter experience that popular excursions sell out fast..... I bought Premier seating and that is sold out. Now here's the interesting thing. Read this :

Cairns%20overview.jpg

I reached out to Celebrity pre cruise to advise them that I would be requiring GF food and they denied that food would be served..... will get back to you in due course ;)

You did the right thing going up to Kuranda it's beautiful up there. I hope Barron Falls were pumping for you. I also enjoyed the Butterfly House, but you can see butterflies in lots of places.

The trip to the reef from Airlie Beach operates the same way with the cats coming to the ship. It's a longer trip out to the reef from there and can be bumpy. So please warn anyone you know going who may suffer from sea sickness to take their meds. Just because you are inside the reef does not equal calm seas!

So having done Kuranda in Cairns and the Reef from Airlie - you will get the best of both worlds in beautiful FNQ.

Will be interested to hear if you are kitted out with stinger suits as it's still within stinger season in March.

A long and sorry tale of how a day can start out so well and end so sadly.

This is the 2nd time of writing this out…… the first time I wrote straight into CC then closed the window, accidentally. Now writing in word so I can save along the way.

I got to the theatre promptly to pick up the excursion ticket….. we left immediately on the reef tender. Half an hour later we were ashore and met by many different buses. We head off to the Freshwater Station where we are to board the train up to Kuranda. We passed sugar cane planted fields on the way. There are cold iced glasses of fruit punch waiting for the ‘Premier’ Class passengers. Unfortunately I think our bus is the only one to get this as I sit on the train with people from another bus who didn’t.

The carriage I was in was very comfortable with padded chairs. A menu was passed around….. (Food? Really?) I explain my predicament. The menu is a courtesy. Everyone gets everything. They have feta and spinach pastry rolls, savoury muffins and freshly baked ANZAC biscuits. I get nuts. I do get mango sorbet.

The views from the train are wonderful as we climb higher and higher. We make a 10 minute stop at Barron Falls having passed through numerous tunnels. More about the railway here.

Kuranda station is delightful. The town itself is also lovely with numerous attractions including koala bear cuddling. I need to walk and head into the jungle on a detailed path. Was wonderful. Under the trees amongst the critters. Running water. Just lovely. I stop at a café on the way back into town and get a GF toasted sandwich and a slice of GF Orange & Almond Cake. Equally yum. I hold tight onto my purse passing the shops. They have some lovely and unique fashion items up there.

Here’s where things start to go wrong. Very, very wrong.

I arrived back at the bus stop at 1330, right on time. No bus. They have taken those who have arrived early to the Skyrail. 1340 those of us, who were not late, arrive at the Skyrail terminal. Then we queued. And queued. And it’s hot. Very, very hot. Some of this in full sun with only my hat for cover. I eventually boarded a gondola at 1430. My ticket was for 1330. I can be precise as the times are on my pics…. I relate this as being similar to queuing at immigration at Heathrow. A snake. There was no organisation whatsoever. One of the Cruise Ship tour guides (3rd party) made a huge effort to gather her people together and moved them up the line. Didn’t see mine until I got to the bottom.

The gondolas seat 6. And of course they’re full. Occasionally a ‘Diamond view’ gondola passes, empty. These are glass bottomed and tourists can pay extra for the experience. Why on earth they don’t utilise these when there is a crowd waiting is beyond me.

The ride down was uneventful. Don’t be ridiculous. This is me. Of course it was eventful. We’ve been told we can get off at Barron Falls stop en route….. in fact there is one of the 3rd party guides telling us we can and reminding us that we have to change gondolas at Red Peak. So I get off at Barron Falls fully aware that we’re running late. And aware that there are many cruise ship passengers behind me. I only went to the one lookout. I head back to the terminal and there’s a line. Of course there’s a line. The gondola guard calls for a solo passenger as a gondola has arrived with 5 passengers on board. I head on up. They are not cruise ship passengers. A man by the door turns his back on me and puts his leg out preventing me from boarding. Seriously.

“Really? REALLY?!!” I am hot and bothered. And loud. The people behind me are cruise ship passengers. They invite me to join them. They are not on an excursion. We have to disembark the gondola here for the final ride down. There’s a line. OF course there’s a line…… a long one. One of the men who had been travelling in the gondola ahead of me, you remember, the really lovely people who wanted the gondola to themselves…. Well he’s kicking off….. “I need to get to my hotel, this is ridiculous, I’ve never known such incompetence,” blah blah.

So I empathise. I tell him I’m also having a bad day. That the people in the gondola before me had refused to allow me to ride with them and they only had five on board so a space was available.

“Well that’s terrible,” he says, “they should have let you on if they had a space,”

“So why didn’t you?” my reply.

I finally get down to Smithfield to meet the bus at around 1545. The lady behind me on the bus had boarded and was seated some time before me and was really upset…. A passenger nearer the front had commented to her as she’d boarded that they’d been waiting for her and he wasn’t impressed. If he’d said something to me when I’d boarded words would not have failed me. Last tender is meant to be at 1600. The line at the pier is very, very long. A tender leaves. The line does have shade but is outside. Celebrity have set up the wet towel station and the crew are super busy handing out water and fruit punch to the line. Which is growing. I’ve told you it’s hot. Very, very hot.

I’ve been drinking water throughout the day but now I’m feeling unwell. They have chairs under canopy and I avail myself of one. A reef tender eventually arrives and I board around 1630…..by now I’m afraid I’ve lost the will to check the time or take a pic of it. I sleep (head on arms on table) the entire ride; I vaguely recall pulling away from the pier. I know I’m back on board around 1730 as the Captain is talking about sailaway and the distance to Brisbane. I’m really feeling bad now. I know I’m not going to make the shore excursion tomorrow. Utterly exhausted.

I need a shower really badly but know I’m not going to be able to head out after so want to have that conversation with the Excursion people. 1745 and they open at 1800. I’m really not one to seek help in other quarters but I need to. Louis at GS has been so sweet….. he’s a Brit and we have a mutual acquaintance it turns out….. He calls Brenda for me and I tell her my tale. I really want some mitigation for the debacle but at this stage she can’t tell me anything. By then the Excursion desk is open. I have to sit to recount. He makes notes. I tell him about the food on the train and the email trail I have, and then the really poor, well absent really, support on the skyrail.

(sitting writing this in the Card Room….. “Hello Linda, how you doing?” Captain Yannis just walked by with his team….. beats heading ashore any day….. I heard that this is his last voyage on Solstice….. he’s headed to Infinity…. He’s going to be missed here….hope they’re laying on a party for him)

To continue…… I later give room service a call….. Lady at the other end of the line is lovely and she facilitates something GF for me….. fish chowder, Caesar salad and some plain grilled chicken with veg; all GF. First time I’ve used room service in 4 weeks. Thank goodness they sent a lovely female waiter…… I’m in PJs.

Thank you Celebrity for refunding my ticket for today. Thank you Brenda, I’m 100% certain you facilitated that. I’m on a quiet ship with a/c and that’s lovely. I really regret not getting to the reef or Airlie Beach. I’m all tendered out.

Apologies for my use of tense; you’d never guess I’d been an English teacher in a previous life.

That sounds absolutely horrific! You poor thing. At least you got your money back.

As I come from a very hot climate, I don't like the description of how you were feeling on the tender. Please keep an eye out/get checked for heat exhaustion if you don't start feeling better soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a shame you had such a bad day. Kuranda is such a lovely place - you should only have good memories of it. The humidity can really knock you around there, especially when you are standing in never ending queues in the sun as you've found! It's hard to understand why the place didn't cope with all the people - it's a popular tourist attraction so should be running like a well oiled machine.

The Tender process on the Solstice appears to be still a shambles. One should take that into account in the future irrespective whether private or on a ships excursion.

It wasn't the tender that was the problem it was up at the SkyRail.

In NZ you are blessed with deep water ports. Unfortunately much of Australia's coastline has very shallow waters. Where there are deep water porting facilities (other than major cities) you are usually berthed at an industrial terminal - such as Port Headland, which I happened to love, but most don't.

Although Cairns has many attractions it is really unfortunate it is inside the Reef so a major cruise terminal is out of the question.

I had no problems with tendering on Solstice no queues anywhere, but that does depend a lot on, weather, people's individual timing, types of shore excursions offered.

I'm so sad for Linda missing the Reef.

Wow Linda! That is horrible, but not a really big surprise unfortunately. I had a similar but different experience with tendering at Airlie Beach a couple of years back (on a RCI trip), and that was without the silly way your excursion was run. Waiting in line in that heat is just so draining.

I kept looking for your updates today, and I just had a feeling something was not right for you. I hope you get better real soon, and I am embarrassed that some things are done so badly in Australia. They are, it is just ridiculous to treat visitors that way. This is why our first preference is New Zealand. We always tell people that ask where we cruise that we like NZ as it is "open for business". The implication there is that sometimes (and there are good operators at some places) the laid back Aussie way makes for a very bad holiday experience. Then we wonder if we are just whingers. Then we go to NZ.

I would hope that Celebrity will take your feedback on board, and if an operator can't do better than that then Celebrity needs to cut that sort of excursion out of their offers. This does reflect on Celebrity or RCI. They can have sad eyes and apologize but this is not their first time visiting between Celebrity and RCI and some info sharing would be a great idea.

Take care and get better soon!

Edited by goodycruising