Anthem of the seas no foreign port

I was wondering if anyone new how anthem of the seas could return to New Jersey without a foriegn port stop given the recent storm. I thought that labor laws with an international crew stated that the ship must stop at a foreign port before returning to the US

I was wondering if anyone new how anthem of the seas could return to New Jersey without a foriegn port stop given the recent storm. I thought that labor laws with an international crew stated that the ship must stop at a foreign port before returning to the US

Royal Caribbean will apply for a fee waiver.

Actually cruises to nowhere are no longer allowed as per previous cruisecritic.com article.

June 11, 2015

carnival-vista-main-new.jpg (5:30 p.m. EDT) -- New U.S. government regulations mean that cruise lines will no longer be able to offer cruises to nowhere -- short voyages where ships sail into international waters and return without calling on any ports -- from American ports.

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) explains that, beginning in 2016, foreign-flagged ships sailing from U.S. ports will be required to call on at least one foreign port before returning to the U.S., meaning cruises to nowhere won't be allowed.

Vance Gulliksen, a spokesman for Carnival -- the only line currently offering regularly scheduled cruises to nowhere -- says "certain short duration cruises without a foreign port of call are subject to itinerary changes."

John Heald, senior cruise director for Carnival, adds that three-night cruises to nowhere out of New York's Manhattan terminal on the line's brand new Carnival Vista will be affected; any passengers currently booked on those sailings will be notified of the new policy and any planned itinerary changes.

The regulation also forced Norwegian Cruise Line to cancel three two-night cruises on Norwegian Breakaway, scheduled for 2016 out of New York, spokeswoman Vanessa Picariello said.

Specifics on the regulations were not immediately available, but Cruise Critic has contacted U.S. Customs and Border Protection for comment.

There are always waivers for situations like this.

When Carnival had a fire on a ship of Mexico . They towed the ship to San Diego not Long Beach.

Yes, I was on that ship and they 1st considered towing us to Ensenada but that would have required dealing with customs/immigration so we got towed to San Diego and bused to Long Beach or flights from San Diego to home. No issues on San Diego except for the hoards or reporters.

it called jonas act. It was written after 1912 maritime laws. they need to update this long time law.

My understanding is that the Jones Act is for cargo, and the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) is for passengers.

if you are speaking of the short 3 day cruise it actually has to stop in Halifax for one hour. No disembarking of course, this is just to fulfill the requirement.

if you are speaking of the short 3 day cruise it actually has to stop in Halifax for one hour. No disembarking of course, this is just to fulfill the requirement. Oh sorry, i just realized you are specifically talking about this last cruise that had to be cut short. I think there will be a waiver because of the circumstances and damages.

I thought the cruises to nowhere were axed because of visa work violations of the crew and not anything to do with the PVSA. Cruises to nowhere for ships such as the Anthem in effect cause their crew to be technically working in the US which their visa does not support. Cruises to nowhere are still allowed for US based, foreign flag ships such as the various gambling boats whose crews are US residents.