Wine Policy at Embarkation and Corkage

Larry613

I have read the FAQ on Carnival's website regarding bringing wine onboard at embarkation. I understand that adults 21 and older can bring one 750ml bottle onboard at embarkation without paying a corkage fee if the wine is not consumed in the dining room. However, it's not clear to me if there is any limit on the number of 750ml bottles that can be brought onboard at embarkation if I'm willing to pay the $15/bottle corkage fee in order to have the wines I prefer at dinner, e.g., could I bring 12 750ml bottles onboard and pay $150 in corkage fees (assuming two bottle would be "free" for my wife and myself)?

Since you can't pre-pay a corkage fee, the folks at check-in have no idea of what your plans may be for the wine.

As noted, it's ONE bottle per drinking-age adult at embarkation only. Period.

Carnival does sell wine packages that provide a per-bottle discount. Search "cruise the vineyards" for details on those packages. You can purchase once on board. I usually buy one, redeem two vouchers the first night (one red, one white) and they'll keep the unused in the MDR for the next night. Redeem additional coupons as needed.

You can also take it back to your cabin or redeem the coupons at the bars. And if on a longer cruise and drinking more, you can purchase additional packages. Note that the coupons do not carry over if unused, though.

one per guest (21 & over). just pack a cheap corkscrew in your luggage, and do the ole slight of hand under table uncorking, if you want to consume it in dining room. Works every time for me, so much bustle there that no one really notices

What Dawn said...

In the past I packed a corkscrew, now I just buy wine with a screw off top or bring a bottle of champagne. If I want a glass at dinner I pour it in a glass and take it with me...most of the time though we consume on the balcony.

Each adult can bring one 750ml bottle each, regardless of where you drink it or whether you pay a corkage fee.

Wait how do you get on and off with all that wine? I'm interested haha

For cruises out of San Juan, since the ship does not set sail until 10:00 p.m., it is just like a port of call. Once you check-in and board the ship, one can get off and on the ship as many times as they like before 9:00 p.m. So one can board with one bottle per person, get off the ship, go to the store and pick up another bottle, and get back on the ship. There is a CVS across the street from the port and there is a liquor store in the port less than 50 feet from the security check.

However, you may not have to even get off the ship to carry on more than one bottle of wine per person or even other alcoholic beverages. Let's just say enforcement of the Liquor and Beverage Policy is very lax when cruising out of San Juan. It is laughable seeing port workers at other ports shake each individual bottle of water checking for alcohol, and then sail out of San Juan and port security not even care about the five bottles of liquor you have in your backpack.