Moreton Island questions...

When getting off the ship in Moreton Island are the wrecks in walking distance? Are there any shops hiring snorkel gear? (are there any shops at all?) Are there any tours available when you get off the boat or do you need to book them through the ship? Any info appreciated! thanks!

When getting off the ship in Moreton Island are the wrecks in walking distance? Are there any shops hiring snorkel gear? (are there any shops at all?) Are there any tours available when you get off the boat or do you need to book them through the ship? Any info appreciated! thanks!

I walked along the water until opposite the wrecks. After checking which way the tide was running, I entered the water and swam to the wrecks and drifted over the them. Cost nothing.:D

I took my own gear.

There are shops including pub and food outlets.

It appeared that the ship had tied up all the independent tour operators as there were none offering tours when we visited last year.

Moreton Island is a beautiful sand island and it is safe to swim near the wrecks. You have a better chance to get bitten by a dolphin or dugong than a shark! It is a hidden gem in our Moreton Bay Area. Beautiful clear waters and calm seas. Enjoy this beautiful spot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with Sonia, Moreton Island is my back yard, the wrecks are a fantastic place to visit, as far as safety my daughter went on a school camp there recently and one of the activities as the wrecks. In today's risk management awareness schools wouldn't conduct an activity unless it was safe. Food on the island while dearer of course than the mainland is good. Especially the pizzas at the pub.

With regards to snorkelling gear take your own they don't weigh much, you only need a mask and snorkel. More cost effective and hygienic Kmart has them very cheap, but I recently brought some sets from Amart all sports when they had a sale on for about 25 dollars a set for very good casual use

We went on a cruise there last year.

The wrecks-you could walk, they are a fair way along the beach though.

Shops-some right near where the ship docks.

Excursions. I saw some advertised independently on the web but when I tried to book online, they said not on a cruise day as they were booked by the cruise company. So my suspicion is if you want to do something, you'll need to go on an official shore excursion.

We did two-one was a tour all over the island, the other was segways along the sand.

The long tour cost a lot and got a bit boring but we loved the segways.

A group of friends and I went on a cruise to Moreton Island last year. We booked the wrecks tour because we didn't bring our own snorkels. Depending on your level of fitness and the tide, it really helps to have flippers.

It's a great experience and I'm glad I got to do it.

It's an easy walk to get there and you pass lots of food tents etc. You also have the use of the swimming pools at the resort.

I don't want to bring the tone down again but my daughter also swam around the wrecks on a school camp. A dozen of the kids were stung by jellyfish! Just a heads up! Time and tide will determine what's around there.

What time of year was this? Is there likely to be jellyfish in May or will it be too cold?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Have been there many times. When I find a cheap week at Tangalooma I book it and take the Landrover across. Have explored the whole island and it's a lovely place. It is not as spectacular as Fraser Island but what I like is that it's quieter. The prices of most things at the resort are expensive. It is quite possible to walk to The Wrecks and snorkel. They do hire gear but it would probably better value to take your own.

There is a taxi service on the island. It could be possible to book a trip with them to explore the place. The cost is by the trip and per vehicle, so sharing could work out OK. Maybe contact them to find out what they can offer.

The lighthouse is worth a visit and has great views down the Eastern Beach. The oysters they farm on the island are the best I have had anywhere but not easy to get. They are only set up for wholesale.