Labadee, Haiti?

Rocketlady

Is the Oasis still going to Labadee with all the protests going on with their

president? Just wanted to know if that was skipped last week with their cruise.

I have been there before but would like to go with my sisters and grandson which none have been there before.

I believe in total, only 2 ships missed Labadee due to the issue, and those were 2-3 weeks ago now.

It appears to have been a very temporary problem, and as someone else has mentioned, ships have been visiting there as scheduled for the past 2+ weeks.

How much of what happens in Haiti really affects Labadee? Just seems so closed off from the rest of the country. It has a fence with guards, so pretty well protected. To be honest, we never explored the island, but I had heard about people saying when you get closer to the fence you may see people begging. Not sure how true that is.

How much of what happens in Haiti really affects Labadee? Just seems so closed off from the rest of the country. It has a fence with guards, so pretty well protected. To be honest, we never explored the island, but I had heard about people saying when you get closer to the fence you may see people begging. Not sure how true that is.

A lot of local Haitians work within the walls of Labadee. Plus, Royal Caribbean's "Labadee" is simply a peninsula which is open to the water - and technically accessible to any Haitian with a boat. Sure, security keeps locals away - except on that one protest day.

So - because some Haitians work there, and live in "Haiti" - they are affected by political things. But, to be honest, it is my experience that for the most part, they "leave their problems at the gate" when they come to work. I speak Haitian Creole, and even when I discuss the state of the country, they are very careful when choosing their words - I suspect they've been told not to bring country problems to the tourists.

A lot of local Haitians work within the walls of Labadee. Plus, Royal Caribbean's "Labadee" is simply a peninsula which is open to the water - and technically accessible to any Haitian with a boat. Sure, security keeps locals away - except on that one protest day.

So - because some Haitians work there, and live in "Haiti" - they are affected by political things. But, to be honest, it is my experience that for the most part, they "leave their problems at the gate" when they come to work. I speak Haitian Creole, and even when I discuss the state of the country, they are very careful when choosing their words - I suspect they've been told not to bring country problems to the tourists.

Wow, that's really interesting. I bet they appreciate that you can speak to them in their native language, I doubt many cruises know how to. When we were there last, I noticed it was a mix of people that seemed in a really bad mood (some of them wouldn't even acknowledge our presence) and others were very nice and friendly. So just about what you'd experience in New York :P

This can happen especially when you are enjoying the BBQ lunch. One of the locations is very close to the fence and we have seen kids begging for food!

Saturday Feb. 6, an agreement was reached to install a provisional government before the president was to step down. New elections taking place on Apr. 24, and a new president to be installed May 14. So much political corruption any thing can happen between now and the next 5 years of ruling. The president which RCCL made the deal with back in 80's had a 2 million dollar wedding, while people were starving and was forced off the Island and flown to France by the U S. Hope all is well, as we are going back the end of this month. Had no problem the past Dec.even though a protest was going on in Port Au Prince the day we docked.