Port of New Orleans

tim5811

We just got off her last week. We stayed at the dury inn downtown. We left for the port and with the traffic it took us almost an hour to get there and we left at 9:30. Very heavy traffic taxis were in line with us as well as lined up at the pier.we always like to get there early so we can be first on ship. That didn't happen this time. After we got there and parked we had to wait in line for check in time and we were platinum got to the lounge and waited for boarding we had already done online check in so this delay was a pain as well. Overall very disorganised and the worst we have experienced and we have sailed from there seveal Times. Best advice is be prepared to wait there is nothing quick about it.

Edited by paradoc1
Bad spelling

We just got off her last week. We stayed at the dury inn downtown. We left for the port and with the traffic it took us almost an hour to get there and we left at 9:30. Very heavy traffic taxis were in line with us as well as lined up at the pier.we always like to get there early so we can be first on ship. That didn't happen this time. After we got there and parked we had to wait in line for check in time and we were platinum got to the lounge and waited for boarding we had already done online check in so this delay was a pain as well. Overall very disorganised and the worst we have experienced and we have sailed from there seveal Times. Best advice is be prepared to wait there is nothing quick about it.

I think you missed the threadstarter's question.

They are inquiring about transportation after debarkation, not arriving for embarkation.

Does anyone have feedback how long it takes a cab to get to the airport from the cruiseship during a weekday morning? Eyeing a 948am flight and I was wondering if it could be made..... Thanks.

I would budget at least 30 minutes, more if there is a convention going on. One time it took us 20 minutes just to go one block near the convention center.

It totally depends on whether or not something happens on the interstate that day. It's about a 20-30 minute ride to the airport, but if something happens (accident, break down, etc.) it can be a lot longer. I live here and I've experienced both a 20 minute ride and a one hour ride. You would be taking a chance IMHO. With that said, one time we did self-assist, picked up our car in the port parking lot and my DH was at work for 8:00 a.m. So ... it could be that you would be fine. Airport isn't too bad, unless like someone else said there is a convention leaving town that day or something similar. ::confused::confused:

Does anyone have feedback how long it takes a cab to get to the airport from the cruiseship during a weekday morning? Eyeing a 948am flight and I was wondering if it could be made..... Thanks.

Getting a cab will not be the issue. Traffic, how long it takes to the ship and clearing security at the airport are your real issues. To make a 9:48 flight you need to be at the airport no later than 8:30. That means off the ship by 8:00 IF there is no traffic.

Since the odds of you being off the ship that early are slim you would not be wise to book a flight that early.

That's VERY tight. Probably the earliest you can expect to get off the ship is 7:00 or 7:30 if you carry off your own bags...and the ship could be delayed for disembarkation for any number of reasons. Then it's 20 to 30 minutes to the airport if there's no traffic.

I've seen long, long lines to get boarding passes and check bags at the airport on cruise ship days. But you could check in online, and only travel with a carry on to solve that. If you have TSA pre-check, you'd also cut down on some time in security lines too.

So, can you make a 9:48 am flight? Yes, IF everything lines up perfectly. But one small glitch, and you'll find yourself waiting at the airport all day for a standby seat to get home. Why subject yourself to that stress after you've just had a wonderful vacation? Take a later flight.

Edited by VideoTech