Tunis - Feel Safe there?

shuttle-c

I was in Tunis in july 2004, with my Oceanic cruise. I was there before before in 1998.

I felt quite safe, in fact in 2004 Tunis looked better and even more prosperous than in 1998 (better and more cars for example).

The Medina can be a bit daunting, in the sense of labyrinthic or claustrophic : very very narrow streets, roofed, with lots of goods on stalls and many people. You certainly need a guide there, if only your taxidriver, or someone from there whom you tip to get out again !

The Bardo museum is in a suburb.

Sidi Bou Said is a very touristy "artist" village : you see almost only foreigners there, between the typical white housed with blue windows, which are all shops for tourists.

Carthago is not very crowded, on top of a hill, where the nearest habitations are a bit farther, and above all, I think one of the poshest adresses of all the country. The museum is interesting, and the ruins have mostly an emotional intrest : I am really in Carthago now ! Nearby in a pine grove are the remains of the amfitheatre. I don't think you even have to pay entrance. we were alone there.

I agree that it was unsafe, the lines wouldn't dock there (and go to Malta for example instead, which is very near). The fact that Libya is also on many cruise itineraries is a good sign. I would worry much more if the port was Algiers.

J

We just returned from a Cruise with Costa. We were actually in Tunis on September 29, 2005. I didn't even think of safety, so I would say you will be fine. We took an excursion, we had a guide from Tunis and a Costa rep with us. We went to the Museum of the Bard, Sid Bou Said, and Carthage. Not one person bothered us. Just the usual, trying to sell items to tourist. Our guide just told use not to purchase gold in Sid Bou Said, b/c it is only real in the city.

The only thing you need to worry about is cab drivers fighting for your business. A family we meet planned on doing Tunis on their own. They didn't even get out of the port, due to two cab drivers fighting over them. So they went back to the ship.

You will be fine, you might not have a chance again. That is how we looked at it.

Lmf27,

When you went shopping what currency did you use? Dollars, Euros, Credit Cards or did you change for some TDs (Tunisian Dollars, assuming that is still local currency)?

Would you have felt comfortable without being on an excursion, i.e. On your own?

We used Euros. Our cruise ship told us to use Euros, b/c they would not exchange tunis currency.

I felt safe and would think you would be safe on your own as well. I just wouldn't know where to go. The only other way I would do Tunis is with a private guide. And I am only saying that, b/c I didn't do a lot of research on Tunis.

You shouldn't have a problem.

Dress - Most men wore pants and shirt and women capri's or longer skirt and shirt that covered their shoulders. I saw a few people with tank tops, but they were not on our excursion, so I'm not sure if they were given scarfs.

It was safe walking around. Just the normal vendor trying to get you to purchase something.

• 2 years later...

My wife would like to take a camel ride in Tunis when we visit in October on BOS. Has anyone done this in Tunis? Can you get these right at the pier? How much?

How about in Venice for that matter? Wouldn't that be unusual?;)

With the current security threats all over the world, has anyone been to Tunis lately? Did you feel safe there (as safe as you can in that area of the world). Or should we forgo the excursions and stay on the ship?

Yes, we felt safe and even had our private driver take us to the Great Synagogue after the Bardo museum.

I have been many times to Tunis. Last time was in 2007. Tunis (and Tunisia) is a very safe place. As safe as most European cities. That means you must be aware of where you are going and what you are doing but the people are charming and friendly. You certainly do not need "Islamic dress" or a headscarf!! In fact, the Tunisian govt has an active policy of involving Tunisian girls in sport on the basis that if they play a sport they are unlikely to wear a headscarf!! On the other hand, I would not (and neither would I in Europe) go around a town in "revealing" clothes - shorts, tummy exposed etc etc. On the beach this is no problem.

There are loads of things to see and do in Tunis and it is a beautiful city with a fascinating history and good food. The old town (Medina) is a warren of streets but I have been in there on my own and got lost (I am a woman) and a very nice man helped me find my way out. I love Tunis!

Do not miss the Bardo Museum, which is a short and cheap taxi ride from where your ship will dock. If you can take a tour there, and to Carthage, so much the better. There are seriously good fish restaurants in Carthage, along the coast.

We were in Tunis last fall and had a great time. The Souk El Bey, the Bardo, The beautiful American Cemetery (WWII), Sidi Bou, and Carthage was a leisurely 6 hour excursion on our Oceania cruise. A little French came in handy but we never felt uneasy.

Go and enjoy! No worries. We did exchange for local currency however.

Larinconada

We were in Tunis last summer with a HAL tour to all the usual places - Medina, Bardo Museum, Carthage, Sidi Bou Said. My strongest impression is of how Western a country Tunisia is. You do not see women with burqas, but I did see a woman in a naval uniform. We wandered around the Medina a little when we got tired of the rug shop that the guide took us to, and never at all felt like we were viewed as anything but a potential customer. Same thing in Sidi Bou Said. Yes, there is a street that runs (uphill) from a plaza where the busses park to a little plaza at the top of the hill, and it is lined with shops and people trying to get you to buy their merchandise. But if you walk past the hilltop plaza, you're in a residential area with beautiful houses, views of the Mediterranean (or Bay of Tunis). Again, no feeling of threat at any time.

Yes it is a predominantly Islamic country with people who speak Arabic, but please don't don't confuse this North African gem with other places in the Middle East.

Agree with above posters - we were there last fall with Oceania also and thought it was fantastic! Especially enjoyed the Souk - really fun and also all the beautiful doors in Sidi Bou Said - check them out! Gorgeous iron grilles on the windows too - dripping with bouganvillia! A lot of French influenced architecture too in Tunis, but definitely has it's own flavor!

I would go back there in a flash - and in fact would love to do a land trip at some point!

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, this port of call has been canceled from our RCI Brilliance of the Seas cruise in January. It was replaced with a stop in Palermo, Sicily.

Just reading through to see if the cancellation was for security reasons, but it doesn't look like that's why.

:(

• 3 weeks later...

We just arrived back last night from a Princess cruise that stopped in Tunis. We took an all day tour that went to Carthage the Souks, Bardo Museum and Sidi Bou Said. I did not feel unsafe at any time and really enjoyed myself. Of course we took a ship's tour. Our guide explained that the conservative Muslim dress is discouragged in Tunis. It was very hot and I did see women ( tourists) quite scantily dressed. I would suggest Capri's and a blouse/t shirt...

• 3 months later...
We didn't see a lot of tours to Tunis except for tours to carthage.

Has anyone been on these tours through HAL and did they feel safe walking around the streets by themselves?

I may be coming in too late for this question, but we were on a HAL cruise that stopped in Tunis and took their all-day tour. We were very pleasantly surprised at how safe we felt there. We didn't book a private tour because we thought we were going to a third world country and it wouldn't be safe. It's clean and nice and Carthage is a beautiful upscale suburb of Tunis. Our guide told us that Americans are often afraid to go there on their own, but Europeans come to Tunis and surroundings for vacations. We didn't go about on our own that day, but I think if we ever get to Tunis again, I would.

We did the all day ship tour when we were there too and we also felt safe. It was a different experience for me I'm not used to be chased down the street to buy something and nobody here offers thousands of camels in exchange for me. If I had more money with me I would have bought one of the beautiful rugs they were selling, maybe I will buy one in Turkey next year.

Archived