Amsterdam in a couple hours?

Wendylet

So my husband and I are flying through Amsterdam to Athens and we will have a total of about six hours between flights. We are wondering if that is time enough to see anything in Amsterdam considering we have to allow for travel to and from the airport. Unfortunately we arrive at about 6:20 am so that may leave most things closed at that time of day. Any thoughts on the issue at all as we want to make the most of any time we have in our travels. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

It appears it easy to get to Central station from the airport. There is a direct train that takes 15 minutes.

From there I don't know what would be open. I'm guessing you might get more help if you pose your question on the Amsterdam forum at tripadvisor.

Indeed it is a short trainride (20 min.) to Amsterdam Centraal Station. However shops will be closed till 9 or 10. Some restaurants will be open for breakfast.

Also I think some canalcruise (lasting about 1hour) like Holland International across from CS starts operating at 9 am.

PS Amsterdam is supposed to be on the western Europa board.

Edited by Ine

Assuming your luggage is checked through to Athens, you might have a couple of hours. There is also a luggage storage near Centraal Station but not sure if it's open that early.

We arrived around that hour back in 2012 and got through immigration and customs very quickly. Things may have changed since then of course. One other place that is always open is the red light district/coffeeshops. Should be some interesting sights even at that hour. Nothing else will be open except a few breakfast places probably, but you can have a nice walk around the canals and check out the architecture.

Be careful about the possible long walk to/from the gate to the terminal at AMS. You could be at a gate a long way from check-in. Make sure you allow at least 2 hours (maybe more) to check-in for your Athens flight.

Indeed it is a short trainride (20 min.) to Amsterdam Centraal Station. However shops will be closed till 9 or 10. Some restaurants will be open for breakfast.

Also I think some canalcruise (lasting about 1hour) like Holland International across from CS starts operating at 9 am.

PS Amsterdam is supposed to be on the western Europa board.

Yes I was confused about where to post this but I appreciate the information I have received.

Assuming your luggage is checked through to Athens, you might have a couple of hours. There is also a luggage storage near Centraal Station but not sure if it's open that early.

We arrived around that hour back in 2012 and got through immigration and customs very quickly. Things may have changed since then of course. One other place that is always open is the red light district/coffeeshops. Should be some interesting sights even at that hour. Nothing else will be open except a few breakfast places probably, but you can have a nice walk around the canals and check out the architecture.

Be careful about the possible long walk to/from the gate to the terminal at AMS. You could be at a gate a long way from check-in. Make sure you allow at least 2 hours (maybe more) to check-in for your Athens flight.

Yes my husband wanted to show me the red light district and assured me it would be open for business as I am sure it is! I thought perhaps we could just grab breakfast somewhere and wander a bit. I will definitely allow a lot of time to get back to the gate. At this point I don't even know if we will be able to leave the airport as I know sometimes you are in a secured area and cannot leave that area. I will have to try and find that out. Thanks for the feedback!

At this point I don't even know if we will be able to leave the airport as I know sometimes you are in a secured area and cannot leave that area. I will have to try and find that out. Thanks for the feedback!

As long as you have your next flight's boarding passes and passports you will be able leave and return to the airport.

If you don't have a boarding pass for the next flight yet, you print one at one of the transfer self service kiosks before leaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk