Getaway Advice

Markanddonna

I just submitted a very detailed review that should be posted in a day or two. I wanted to caution those thinking about the Getaway to read the reviews in the regular review section and to pay attention to what some of these folks had to say. I wish I would have. If I had to do it all over again, I would have sailed on a mid-size ship. The cruising experience is so different on the larger ships and many who are familiar with freestyle cruising think it is the same. I'm glad that we made some reservations for the shows and restaurants before we sailed. Cruising on the Getaway is almost like experiencing a different cruise line.

The ship's public areas pretty much are the same size as a mid-size ship like the Jewel class but they have double the passengers. We had 4,600. Some areas, like the pool and fitness areas are smaller!

We were considering the Getaway when it goes to Europe next year but now it is at the bottom of our list, right above Costa.

I had a very negative attitude about it before actually sailing on her, but that completely changed after wonderful week on board. With all of our entertainment and dining reserved for the times that we wanted, we had nothin bad to say....but everyone's individual experience is different....

We've sailed on the Getaway twice. However, like you, we do prefer the Jewel class ships or the Sun...for the two us and how we enjoy cruising. I do think the Getaway is a beautiful, well designed ship with a super crew. But it is just too busy and has too many activities for us to use. I think a family would love it though.

We sailed the Getaway in 2014 and are scheduled to go again in the next couple of months. We loved the entertainment and activities onboard. There was always so much to do. Yes, it was crowded, but with a little planning it was no problem. The waterfront was a wonderful place to get away from the crowds. It was our favorite place to be when we were leaving a port. We liked the Getaway better than the mid sized ships we have sailed. Everyone is different and has different expectations. Sorry it didn't meet yours.