driving from PA to Charleston

LiveUrlife2

hi we are driving to our port in Charleston from PA...its about a 13 hour drive. We are gonna the day before and head out in the am and drive prob 8-9 hours then find a hotel in NC to spend the night and wake up in the AM and drive the last 4-5 hours to port. Has anyone done this before? two years ago we cruised out of Charleston and drove through the night but missing that night sleep sucked. We cannot wait to drive during the day and taking our time. Any tips or suggestions?

Yes, on rush hour being bad at 7am in Charlotte. Avoid at all costs. Columbia is about 3 hours from Charleston. Look at the far side of it. Traffic shouldn't be too bad leaving town.

Columbia is 90 mins-2 hours from Charleston depending on where. Worst time in Columbia is 730-830 am but if you are taking 77 to 26 you are, in general, going opposite of most traffic so it shouldn't be too bad. I live in Columbia and commute every day.

hmmmm we would be on the road like 7am, wonder if we would hit rush hour then.....where in NC should we stay that is about 3 hours from the port in charleston?

If you plan to go as far as Charlotte on day 1, then go all the way through Charlotte, and stop somewhere just south of the city near the NC/SC state line. There are a number of hotels there because it's right by Carowinds, and you're approaching Rock Hill SC which has even more hotels right off the interstate.

The next day, wait til about 8:00am or later to hit the road, so you'll get to Columbia after morning rush hour there and you'll be fine. All in you'll probably be 3.5 hours from the port, which will be about perfect timing to get there, park the car, etc. before boarding at the designated time.

Since it looks like you're coming from Eastern PA I wouldn't worry about rush hour in Columbia or Charlotte - you'll likely not be going through either city. The best route for you is to go down I-95. Lumberton, which somebody mentioned earlier, is a city in Southeastern NC not far from the SC border and is right about 3 hours from Charleston. There are many hotels convenient to the highway and your typical chain restaurants. If you can push it an extra hour on the drive that first night, Florence, SC is another option.

I would avoid I95 at all costs. That road is a disaster. Why would you want to ht the Richmond/Baltimore/DC mess and the endless traffic on I95 if you don't have to? (plus the road itself in SC is in dreadful condition). The 81/77/26 route is much better. Charlotte is about 200 miles form Charleston (I commute to/from Charlotte/Charleston every month for work) and only takes about 3-3/12 hrs. Avoid downtown (or as they say uptown) Charlotte on I77 and you will be fine (take the I485 loop around). Best bet as Waterbug said is to stop just into SC south of Charlotte and the next morning you will have an easy ride right into Charleston.

which side of PA are you coming from? travel maps has the trip no more than 10 hours. we've driven to charleston a few times and has done that in one day. for a cruise, I would leave about 5-6am, get down there that day, have dinner and be ready for the cruise the next day. or you can leave a day or two prior to spend time in the area. if leaving about 4-5am, you really miss the rush hour traffic, but what day of the week are you traveling and from which part of PA?

if leaving about 4-5am, you really miss the rush hour traffic, but what day of the week are you traveling and from which part of PA?

Traveling from PA to Charleston there are multiple cities along the way where one may encounter rush hour traffic, so it really isn't as simply as "leave by 4-5am and you'll miss it everywhere." ;)

which side of PA are you coming from? travel maps has the trip no more than 10 hours. we've driven to charleston a few times and has done that in one day. for a cruise, I would leave about 5-6am, get down there that day, have dinner and be ready for the cruise the next day. or you can leave a day or two prior to spend time in the area. if leaving about 4-5am, you really miss the rush hour traffic, but what day of the week are you traveling and from which part of PA?

As someone who travels for a living and uses apple maps and google maps for milage totals.....the "travel time" they show is pretty much worthless. A sudden traffic jam can pop up out of nowhere. Yesterday for example...they all showed me just blasting through Louisville with no issues....traffic on I65 right by the airport was at dead stop and backed up for about 2 miles. What should have taken 5 min or so ended up taking almost 30 minutes. :eek: (Thankfully I planned some extra time to get to my destination in OH, but getting lunch before delivery was gone. :mad:)

Edited by TruckerDave