Breakaway Boarding and Bermuda Excursions

rustyroo

Have a few questions about Breakaway boarding?

If we have someone (family member or car service) drop us at ship, where would they drop us? Where would they pick up?

We are traveling with a 3 and 6 year old. We don't mind waiting in terminal for awhile, but would like to board early (want to have lunch on ship, possibly nap little one, etc.) What time should we get there and how does the boarding time we select work?

Has anyone done the glass bottom boat excursion (no snorkeling)? Would this be appropriate for the 3 and 6 year old? Did not see many others that would be good.

Also, if we want to go to horseshoe beach one morning, what are the easiest options with kids?

Thanks so much!

People start arriving around 9:30, boarding starts around 11:30 (first come first served). If you come early, you won't have lines, but will wait to board. Of you come after 11:30, you will have lines, but won't wait to board. If you come later, you won't wait at all, but will miss lunch. Cabins are usually available around 1:30, but there won't be a lot of napping time before muster. After the muster drill is sail away.

If we have someone (family member or car service) drop us at ship, where would they drop us? Where would they pick up?

We are traveling with a 3 and 6 year old. We don't mind waiting in terminal for awhile, but would like to board early (want to have lunch on ship, possibly nap little one, etc.) What time should we get there and how does the boarding time we select work?

Has anyone done the glass bottom boat excursion (no snorkeling)? Would this be appropriate for the 3 and 6 year old? Did not see many others that would be good.

Also, if we want to go to horseshoe beach one morning, what are the easiest options with kids?

Thanks so much!

I did one of the glass bottom excursions and I'd say it was underwhelming. We had to all crowd in below deck around the bottom "windows". You saw plenty of fish but Im not sure a 3 and 6 year old would find it overly interesting. But Im not a parent.

Have them drop you off & pick you up on second level of terminal. Drop off is no problem. Pick up they won't let them sit there and wait for you. I usually wait on a side street and when whoever I'm picking up says they are on their way out I will drive up...just go up & pass all the cabs.

Thanks so much!

We're taking the same cruise with our 3 year old and were questioning the glass boat excursion also. We've decided NOT to do this because we do not feel it will hold our daughter's attention for the duration of the trip.

We've shifted our focus to beach days :) I've heard good things about Snorkel Park Beach, which is walking distance from where the ship docks.

If you were set on Horseshoe Bay Beach, I do know NCL has a transfer option and it does list children pricing, so while it might not be the cheapest way, it *should* be seamless. It is something we've started to look into as well!

When do you plan on going? We're sailing in September.

Hope that helps!

We're taking the same cruise with our 3 year old and were questioning the glass boat excursion also. We've decided NOT to do this because we do not feel it will hold our daughter's attention for the duration of the trip.

We've shifted our focus to beach days :) I've heard good things about Snorkel Park Beach, which is walking distance from where the ship docks.

If you were set on Horseshoe Bay Beach, I do know NCL has a transfer option and it does list children pricing, so while it might not be the cheapest way, it *should* be seamless. It is something we've started to look into as well!

When do you plan on going? We're sailing in September.

Hope that helps!

We did the same, we are going in September as well with our son who will be two then. We plan on just beach days. I was looking at Snorkel Park too but have been reading a lot of reviews saying that there is a ton of broken glass on the beach and now we are thinking that might not be the right place. We are on the September 25th sailing.

People start arriving around 9:30, boarding starts around 11:30 (first come first served). If you come early, you won't have lines, but will wait to board. Of you come after 11:30, you will have lines, but won't wait to board. If you come later, you won't wait at all, but will miss lunch. Cabins are usually available around 1:30, but there won't be a lot of napping time before muster. After the muster drill is sail away.

This changed, but I'm not sure how recently. For our sailing on the BA on January 31 we had to select an arrival time when we did our online checkin. The times started at 9 I believe. The earlier times seem to fill up fastest because they weren't available when we did our online checkin.

Snorkel beach right at the Royal Navy Dock is great. You can walk to it very easily from the ship. Food and beverages are available for purchase. There is also a miniature golf course right there if this interests you and the kids. It does cost extra but it has some fantastic views. As far as horseshoe bay, you could book it through NCL, or you could take a taxi over to it. It does get crowded but it is a nice beach.

Snorkel beach right at the Royal Navy Dock is great. You can walk to it very easily from the ship. Food and beverages are available for purchase. There is also a miniature golf course right there if this interests you and the kids. It does cost extra but it has some fantastic views. As far as horseshoe bay, you could book it through NCL, or you could take a taxi over to it. It does get crowded but it is a nice beach.

I've never been to Snorkel myself, but I believe admission is around $5 pp. NCL has an excursion for it, but it costs a lot more. I think because a bunch of rental equipment is included.

For Horseshoe, you can take the public bus. The drivers are super friendly and will tell you when you've reached your stop. There's an option of buying 1 day, 2 day, or 3 day passes for unlimited rides. Personally, I buy the ticket book of 15 rides for $37.50. I don't remember the pass prices off hand, but I remember it being cheaper, as long as you know exactly where you're going. You can only buy tickets in Hamilton or St. George, so it involves buying individual ferry tokens to get there. If you're going there anyway, it makes sense. I believe there's a child discount.

The arrival time is different than the boarding time.... NCL has arrival times in blocks of 30 minutes to try and manage \ ease the lines to check in (give credit card, show passport, ship id, etc). They are fairly strict with the arrival time and if you are an 1130am arrival time but show up at 930am, they make you step aside and wait until your arrival time (this is stated on your eDocs). You can stay in the terminal but you cannot check in.

The boarding time is when you actually start on to the ship. It isn't a true first come first serve because NCL (like airlines, hotels and other cruise lines) will board their customers based on the category of their room or how many cruises they have had, etc.... EXAMPLE: Haven will board first, then the different Lattitude levels, VIP people and so on.... so for example, you arrive at 9am and this is your first NCL cruise, you may receive boarding group 10 but the person right next to you is a Bronze Lattitude member and they are handed a 6 and the person next to them is in the Haven and they are handed a 1. Boarding takes place about 1130am and is pretty quick so don't stress about what group you have...

I am going to suggest you take a ferry to St George. There is a hoho bus for 6 dollars per person that will take you to the different stops. Check out the Bermuda forums. Head to Tobacco Beach.. It is beautiful and has no waves and plenty of play area in the waters edge for the kids.. They have lunch there, bathrooms, drinks, etc.

You can get the ferry pass on the ship at guest services. So you can go directly to the ferry off the ship.

Hope that helps!

I am going to suggest you take a ferry to St George. There is a hoho bus for 6 dollars per person that will take you to the different stops. Check out the Bermuda forums. Head to Tobacco Beach.. It is beautiful and has no waves and plenty of play area in the waters edge for the kids.. They have lunch there, bathrooms, drinks, etc.

You can get the ferry pass on the ship at guest services. So you can go directly to the ferry off the ship.

Hope that helps!

Is the price for the ferry pass if purchased on the ship the same price as on land?

Drop off would be at the pier where the porters would take your baggage. Picking up probably will be across the street. They often do not allow pickups at the pier.

I like to get there early, but waiting around with small children is tough. I don't recall when I actually boarded last time.

YES! Do not bother doing such an excursion through NCL. Breing cash and do it yourself. When you get off the ship, walk to the area where of the dockyards near the taxis. There are vendors there that will do a glass bottom boat for MUCH cheaper. I think I paid $25 cash for my wife and I each and they let my kid on for free. (This was a few years ago.) They let the kids feed the fish. (It was a loaf of white bread.)

The bus. Cheap and easy. Bring some cash for the car ride up the steep hill.

If it's like most Bermuda cruises, you'll have 3 days in Bermuda. Usually the first day is when they do Hamilton Nights. I don't know if that interests you, but if it does, you're going to want to do your excursions into Hamilton and/or St. George that day. (Of course, with a 3 and 6 year old, they're probably going to be tired by nighttime.) The second day is a full day in port, which is also good for the beach or excursions. The last day I like to stay close to the dockyards. That's when you should window shop. I believe NCL shortened the time on the third day, so I wouldn't roam too far that day.

Would you like some ideas for a Bermuda itinerary? Check out my Breakaway review from a few years back: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2074156

Edited by Sizzlechest

We went to Bermuda last summer and it's gorgeous! One thing to think about is with the NCL excursion to Horseshoe Bay Beach the vans drop you off and pick you up right at the beach entrance. If you choose a bus they drop off and pick up at the top of the hill and it's a pretty good walk down (and I'm thinking worse if you were dragging all that stuff UP after being at the beach :)

Is the price for the ferry pass if purchased on the ship the same price as on land?

Yes it is... They offer two passes. One day or two.. Must be used consecutively.. Very few buy the passes on board, we remembered to head to guest services on the second day..

rustyroo.... this is just me thinking out loud and not to freak anyone out... but travelling with a 3 and a 6 year old.... the additional cost to take a NCL Excursion would be worth it for the safety of using a vetted company who has to answer to NCL if there are issues etc.. Seeking an independent contractor to take you and your children on excursions..... with no vetting or oversight.... Is it worth the risk to save a couple bucks?

rustyroo.... this is just me thinking out loud and not to freak anyone out... but travelling with a 3 and a 6 year old.... the additional cost to take a NCL Excursion would be worth it for the safety of using a vetted company who has to answer to NCL if there are issues etc.. Seeking an independent contractor to take you and your children on excursions..... with no vetting or oversight.... Is it worth the risk to save a couple bucks?

I would not hesitate to use a non-ship sponsored excursion in Bermuda with children. The big reasons to me for ship excursions are safety in sketchy ports and less chance of missing the ship on long excursions. Neither of those is a problem in Bermuda. I will be traveling there with my 2 year old this summer and won't do "excursions" per say due to his lack of attention span, but will use public transportation to go to the beach or wherever we decide to go. Did the same when we went several years ago with my then 5 year old niece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gymbomb

This is Bermuda. The taxis are government regulated. The crime rate is low. The currency is at parity with the US dollar. Most places take credit cards. The standard of living is high. The vendors who the cruise lines pick are the lowest bidder. Would you take an excursion from a company who was the lowest bidder? (Yes, that's an absurd argument. Not as absurd as "vetted excursion company," but close.)

Edited by Sizzlechest

With all due respect... there is nothing "absurd" about thinking safety... because having "parity with the US dollar" just screams safe location and should put all worries to rest!!

and speaking to some of the "lowest bidders" about how stringent the process is to be picked, extra insurance that is required and more background checks with constant customer surveys.... yup, that government sponsored independent taxi is a much more safe haven...

"This is Bermuda" is a ridiculous opening statement considering the PRISON can be seen from where the ship docks and it's passed as you come and go from the wharf area.... unless of course those are all foreigners taking extended vacations...

But, let's look at Bermuda's high cost of living which is 300% of what it is in the US, 280% of Canada and the unemployment rate is about 9% (US is 5.4%)..... so those numbers just make me feel safe that there aren't people seeking alternative means to support themselves when that "credit card taking" restaurant or store isn't hiring...

So, Sizzlechest.... your arguments are 100% bulletproof... I apologize for looking at the overall environment of where I may take my family and just thinking out loud for others to think too....

I hear Baghdad takes credit cards..... send us a postcard!