Cruise Ship Watching in Civitavecchia?

Tommy3putts

My wife and I are returning to Civitavecchia this fall for a 15 night transatlantic cruise aboard Celebrity Reflection. We have been to Civitavecchia on one previous occasion in 2014. For the previous visit took a car from Rome to our cruise ship, so we didn't see much of the town.

For the 2016 October cruise we have decided to spend the day prior to our cruise in Civitavecchia. On the day we arrive, the new Royal Caribbean ship Harmony of the Seas will be in port.

This is a question for those of you who are familiar with Civitavecchia, are there any areas, other than hotel rooms, close to the port that have decent views of the port and cruise ships? An outdoor cafe perhaps? I don't recall seeing any in 2014.

Thanks

Tom

In a word, No. It is a large cruise port and most of the US owned ships (and many other mega ships) are docked at piers located relatively far from the land-side area of the port. There are some places where you might be able to spot part of the ship in the distance, but this would still not be an ideal view. But we do have a thought. Unless the security at the port has changed in recent months, you should be able to simply take the internal port bus (which now loads outside the port) into the Port. So just take the bus that takes passengers to that specific ship and you will get to see the ship tied up at the pier. We do not recall the port authorities checking cruise cards of those getting on their buses (this may have changed). On the other hand, if you have ever seen the Oasis or Allure, then you will probably not notice too much difference from the pier.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hello Hank

Thank you for responding. I suspected as much. Was hoping to spend the afternoon watching ships with a beer in my hand. When we were there in 2014, we boarded the Reflection at Terminal 25 which was quite a drive from the port entry. I also recall it being very flat with a lot of cargo containers. So I knew it'd be a long shot question.

Your idea of the port shuttle is interesting. We'll consider that. We just got off the Allure this past Sunday.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by Tommy3putts

If you walk along the seafront, in the opposite direction to the train station, you may be able to get a good view, albeit at sea level. Ken

We have booked a room near the area I think you are referring to. While we should have a sea view, I don't believe it will hav a view of the port.

We stayed at the Traghetto last year and from our front balcony we could see the ships pulling into port and out directly across from us. There was a place where we walked further up the hill which was to the right of Fort Michelangelo for coffee and they had a lookout spot to see ships. Cannot remember the street or what it was called.