24 hrs in Barcelona pre-cruise, help me decide

BNL1213

Hi all, I am booked on a Med cruise on the Norwegian Epic which is out of Barcelona. I am flying in on Saturday and the cruise departs Sunday.

Since I have 24 hours in Barcelona before I need to get to the boat, I need a little help trying to decide how I want those precious hours in Barcelona to play out. There are so many variables that I am having trouble figuring out the best plan. But I am SO EXCITED to see some of Barcelona!!

I land at BCN from the US redeye flight at 10:15 Saturday morning. I am a terrible sleeper so I am pretty sure I will not get any sleep on this flight and that has me a bit worried.

I predict my arrival to my hotel (via taxi) will be somewhere around Noon. At first I planned to drop my bags and head directly to La Sagrada Familia for a 1pm audio guided tour of the basilica and then book the Nativity tower for shortly thereafter. Seems like a tight timeframe especially if there are any flight delays...but could possibly work.

I then planned to return to the hotel for a power nap for a couple of hours and then I have booked a walking tapas tour for dinner that is from 6:30pm-11:30pm.

BUT, the more I think about this plan the more I think I will be EXHAUSTED and will really not enjoy my evening food tour, which I am really looking forward to (and paid ~$100 for!).

So I thought perhaps the better plan may be to get to my hotel and just rest for the afternoon, perhaps hang at the pool, maybe walk a little of Las Ramblas for a snack, glass of cava, etc. Then visit La Sagrada Familia first thing the next morning before heading to the port to board the ship. If I do the 9am audio tour at SF, then I can feasibly be heading to the ship by Noon, I figure.

My only hesitation is that I had wanted to board the Epic as early as possible to try and get myself a one day Posh Beach club pass to use on the sea day before they ran out. I am also hoping to get a reservation at the Chef's table, so want to be sure I don't miss out on that opportunity either.

Does anyone have any words of advice, experience or wisdom they can share about my plans or alleviate my worries, or tell me just to chill out and enjoy what I can when I can?

TIA!

We did almost the same thing on out last trip.

Arrived at the hotel around 10am. Room was not ready so we went out for a while, got back at 1pm. Took a nap, then went out to the walking tapas tour from about 7pm to 10pm. Next day did La Sagrada. Worked out very well. If we would have tried tapas and La Sagrada on the same day as our arrival, it would have been too much.

Question...would you be able to check in at or near the time of your arrival?

We're doing similar, upon arrival (8:30a) we're taking a half day city tour (guided). Check in early afternoon, relax, then head out in early evening hours to Las Ramblas. Next morning, half day to Monserrat prior to boarding ship. We'll explore ship on our day 2 sea day as well we've began looking at same ship for a Caribbean itinerary in 2017 and figure we'll check out ship then:D

I'm not familiar with NCL so apologies in advance...how important is the Posh Beach Club for a day or the Chef's table. I realize your sea day is also day 2 but maybe just grab a quiet spot and relax for the upcoming port intense days ahead. As for the table, you may not even feel like going after day long touring. Just a thought. Either way...enjoy. :)

After decades of world travel, I finally found a solution that works for overnight flights in economy.

1. Visit your doctor and get a prescription for sleeping pills.

2. Buy this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Skyrest-SkyRest-Travel-Pillow/dp/B000VKP6VW/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1456182736&sr=8-62&keywords=travel+pillow

3. put the airline pillow on top of this thing - it may also take putting your purse under it - so travel with a flat purse if possible. Put whatever you can behind your back to tighten up the space - this will prevent you from getting a sore back or slumping.

Take sleeping pill with dinner. Immediately afterwards, put blanket around your shoulders and lean forward onto the head rest and pillow with your arms wrapped around it - there is a pocket you put your hands into. This works amazingly well. I have never been able to sleep on planes before - not even in First Class on a flat bed type of seat - but this actually worked for me so well I slept 8 hours - only awoke when the flight attendant loudly told my husband she was not going to bring my breakfast tray back. (I would have preferred that she simply left me alone to sleep, but this is what happens in economy. I guess I should have posted a sign on my seat that told her I didn't want breakfast if I was asleep as I always travel with appropriate snacks, so didn't need it.) If you are short, then you might want to buy an inflatable footrest as well as it helps keep your feet less swollen.

Whatever the case, you should be good until about 8pm. I would suggest you consider going to the Boqueria Market during the day - as it sounds like you might be a foodie. Buy yourself some snacks for later, just in case. I think you can do the food tour, especially if you try to sleep on the plane as I have described.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

After decades of world travel, I finally found a solution that works for overnight flights in economy.

1. Visit your doctor and get a prescription for sleeping pills.

2. Buy this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Skyrest-SkyRest-Travel-Pillow/dp/B000VKP6VW/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1456182736&sr=8-62&keywords=travel+pillow

3. put the airline pillow on top of this thing - it may also take putting your purse under it - so travel with a flat purse if possible. Put whatever you can behind your back to tighten up the space - this will prevent you from getting a sore back or slumping.

Take sleeping pill with dinner. Immediately afterwards, put blanket around your shoulders and lean forward onto the head rest and pillow with your arms wrapped around it - there is a pocket you put your hands into. This works amazingly well. I have never been able to sleep on planes before - not even in First Class on a flat bed type of seat - but this actually worked for me so well I slept 8 hours - only awoke when the flight attendant loudly told my husband she was not going to bring my breakfast tray back. (I would have preferred that she simply left me alone to sleep, but this is what happens in economy. I guess I should have posted a sign on my seat that told her I didn't want breakfast if I was asleep as I always travel with appropriate snacks, so didn't need it.) If you are short, then you might want to buy an inflatable footrest as well as it helps keep your feet less swollen.

Whatever the case, you should be good until about 8pm. I would suggest you consider going to the Boqueria Market during the day - as it sounds like you might be a foodie. Buy yourself some snacks for later, just in case. I think you can do the food tour, especially if you try to sleep on the plane as I have described.

Wow!!! that pillow is amazing! I have never seen anything quite like it. Thanks for the sleeping advice. I think that might just work and get me some rest. Then I can hit the ground running in Barcelona. Thank you!

Question...would you be able to check in at or near the time of your arrival?

We're doing similar, upon arrival (8:30a) we're taking a half day city tour (guided). Check in early afternoon, relax, then head out in early evening hours to Las Ramblas. Next morning, half day to Monserrat prior to boarding ship. We'll explore ship on our day 2 sea day as well we've began looking at same ship for a Caribbean itinerary in 2017 and figure we'll check out ship then:D

I'm not familiar with NCL so apologies in advance...how important is the Posh Beach Club for a day or the Chef's table. I realize your sea day is also day 2 but maybe just grab a quiet spot and relax for the upcoming port intense days ahead. As for the table, you may not even feel like going after day long touring. Just a thought. Either way...enjoy. :)

Thanks for your input. To be honest, the chef's table is probably more important than the Posh area. That area would have just been a "nice to have", but I am sure I can make do in another quiet spot on the ship. I have read that it's a little easier to get a spot at the Chef's table, so fingers crossed! Thanks again..

Wow!!! that pillow is amazing! I have never seen anything quite like it. Thanks for the sleeping advice. I think that might just work and get me some rest. Then I can hit the ground running in Barcelona. Thank you!

I hope it works for you. It is better than anything else I have tried although you might have to adjust the height up or down by using your carryon and the airplane pillow or you might bring some other inflatable pillow just in case you need more height - a lot depends on the space between you and the seat in front of you and your height. I'm 5'3" so I kept my seat back fully upright so that I kind of packed myself in between the seat and the pillow. I think the sleeping pill part is also very important otherwise, I can't relax enough to fall asleep.

I cannot seep much on transatlantic or transpacific flights. I refuse to take sleeping pills, but have tried over the counter sleep aids, which may give me 2-3 hours of sleep.

I have found that after landing in Europe in the morning, staying awake until no earlier than 7pm works out well. I usually sleep until 6-7 am the next morning. Taking a nap doesn't work well, since after the nap, I still want to sleep and if I did, then I would wake up at 2 am not being able to sleep.

Of course, what ever works for you.

You are correct to go for La Sagrada Famila, the no.1 item in Barcelona.

Hi all, I am booked on a Med cruise on the Norwegian Epic[/quote}

Hope the Epic has learned its lesson re noise! We were berthed next to it in Palma de Mallorca last July and the so called 'music' blasting out from the top deck was so horrendous that the port authorities had to ask them to tone it down!!!

Edited by campolady