Tarquinia - On your own?

sunfan03

Port stop in Civitavecchia from 6 am - 7 pm in late September this year.

Traveling with 4 adults, 5 seniors, 4 kids (ages 3, 11, 13, 16).

One of the seniors uses a cane for walking, but can get around, just not too fast.

We'll be spending a full week in Rome post-cruise, so we don't have the desire to use Civitavecchia port to go into Rome.

Instead was thinking of visiting Tarquinia and Etruscan tombs. Need some help in figuring out how we can do this on our own.

Is there anywhere else we should consider going? Trying to keep budget down since we'll be taking tour when we're in Livorno.

Double check everything you find in Tom's port guides, they have been known to contain errors/outdated information.

Tarquinia is easily reached from Civitavecchia by public bus. Check to be sure that your port day there isn't a Monday as the museum and ruins are closed every Monday.

Hours and locations on the city's web site here: http://www.tarquiniaturismo.it/pagina113_monuments-and-archaeological-sites-opening-times.html

You can download and print a good map of the city with the sites marked here: http://www.tarquiniaturismo.it/pagina120_city-map.html

The bus line is Cotral and the stop is on Via XVI Settembre, just north of Via Raffaele Cadorna, about 500' from the port shuttle bus drop off point on Via Turco.

At Tarquinia you'd get off at Barriera S. Giusto, just a few steps from the tourist information office in the center of town.

The bus schedule can be found here, the Civitavecchia to Tarquinia schedule is on page 8: http://www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/0701-2802/Civitavecchia.pdf

Note that the times listed are the starting times from the head of the line, the stop near the port exit is about five minutes after this.

The return times are on page 34 of the same document, but once you're at Tarquinia the folks in the info office can help you with the return info.

Edited by euro cruiser

We spent three days in Tarquinia pre-cruise in October. I have to say that the tombs are quite a way outside of town and it sounds like far from where the bus would drop you. I would definitely doublecheck that before committing to that course of action. My recommendation would be to rent a car from Europcar which is right across the street from where the port shuttle drops you off. It's a very easy drive straight out of Civitavecchia. It takes maybe 20 minutes. We spent about an hour at the tombs and saw as much as wanted to. The Etruscan tombs are interesting, but in my opinion not nearly as interesting as Civita di Bagnoreggio. That was an all time wonderful experience. You'll have to look it up and I believe there's a Rick Steve's video on it. It would not work for the person who is mobility challenged however, there are several restaurants that have terraces overlooking Civita where they could relax and wait for the rest the group. Just a thought.

We spent three days in Tarquinia pre-cruise in October. I have to say that the tombs are quite a way outside of town and it sounds like far from where the bus would drop you. I would definitely doublecheck that before committing to that course of action. My recommendation would be to rent a car from Europcar which is right across the street from where the port shuttle drops you off. It's a very easy drive straight out of Civitavecchia. It takes maybe 20 minutes. We spent about an hour at the tombs and saw as much as wanted to. The Etruscan tombs are interesting, but in my opinion not nearly as interesting as Civita di Bagnoreggio. That was an all time wonderful experience. You'll have to look it up and I believe there's a Rick Steve's video on it. It would not work for the person who is mobility challenged however, there are several restaurants that have terraces overlooking Civita where they could relax and wait for the rest the group. Just a thought.

That's definitely a great option. Thanks for mentioning it.

Thank you so much Cathy.....have just booked a car for $81 AUD for the day with Hertz and will be heading out to Civita di Bagnoreggio and doing Tarquinia on the way back. Couldn't book with Europcar for some reason. This place looks amazing and will be starting training to conquer the bridge LOL. Thanks for the info on this amazing place. Cheers, Denise :)

Thank you so much Cathy.....have just booked a car for $81 AUD for the day with Hertz and will be heading out to Civita di Bagnoreggio and doing Tarquinia on the way back. Couldn't book with Europcar for some reason. This place looks amazing and will be starting training to conquer the bridge LOL. Thanks for the info on this amazing place. Cheers, Denise :)

Wonderful!! One tip I can give you is to drive as far down the road leading to the bridge as you can. We were afraid there wouldn't be any parking and we ended up with quite a hike just to begin (and end) with. We had a lovely early lunch in Civita. It was such a fun adventure! Not for the faint of heart!

Wonderful!! One tip I can give you is to drive as far down the road leading to the bridge as you can. We were afraid there wouldn't be any parking and we ended up with quite a hike just to begin (and end) with. We had a lovely early lunch in Civita. It was such a fun adventure! Not for the faint of heart!

Did a bit more research on this last night. Looks wonderful. Will be an adventure in it's own driving...opp side to Aussie and with manual....yuk who drive manual these days LOL. I'm used to driving in US so may have to practice a bit with manual beforehand. Will also needs to dose up on stemitil as suffer from menieres and vertigo....oh well deep breathing I suppose. Thanks again Cathy and happy sailing Cheers, Denise:)

Did a bit more research on this last night. Looks wonderful. Will be an adventure in it's own driving...opp side to Aussie and with manual....yuk who drive manual these days LOL. I'm used to driving in US so may have to practice a bit with manual beforehand. Will also needs to dose up on stemitil as suffer from menieres and vertigo....oh well deep breathing I suppose. Thanks again Cathy and happy sailing Cheers, Denise:)

You're very welcome! Where in Oz are you? My daughter's been living in Surfers Paradise for about five years. She just went back after three months at home :-(

You're very welcome! Where in Oz are you? My daughter's been living in Surfers Paradise for about five years. She just went back after three months at home :-(

Hi Cathy, I live in wonderful Melbourne approx 10 mins from Tullamarine airport. I decided to engage a private tour for this port as the car hire places don't open that early and I want to be on the road at the crack of dawn LOL. With the guided tour we are met at the gangway at 8:00am for a full 9 hours touring. Cost 6600 euro for 8 people and it filled overnight with peeps from roll call. Feeling more comfortable that I don't have to overthink this port now and let the experts spirit us away for another slice of heaven in Italy. I have booked all Italy ports with Joe Banana Limo and Cindy from there is ever so wonderful in getting back with info and costs. Have a great feeling about this tour company which was highly recommended on CC by others. Happy sailing, Cheers Denise

Hi Cathy, I live in wonderful Melbourne approx 10 mins from Tullamarine airport. I decided to engage a private tour for this port as the car hire places don't open that early and I want to be on the road at the crack of dawn LOL. With the guided tour we are met at the gangway at 8:00am for a full 9 hours touring. Cost 6600 euro for 8 people and it filled overnight with peeps from roll call. Feeling more comfortable that I don't have to overthink this port now and let the experts spirit us away for another slice of heaven in Italy. I have booked all Italy ports with Joe Banana Limo and Cindy from there is ever so wonderful in getting back with info and costs. Have a great feeling about this tour company which was highly recommended on CC by others. Happy sailing, Cheers Denise

oops should be 650 euro