What do you call them?

beth4652

I'm sure some of these are the same, but the titles are different in different places. Can someone tell me which of the crew members' titles are the same and what their duties are? head waiter maitre d' table captain waiter dining room steward

I'm sure some of these are the same, but the titles are different in different places. Can someone tell me which of the crew members' titles are the same and what their duties are? head waiter maitre d' table captain waiter dining room steward

head waiter will wait on you in the dining room. He has an asst who will help serve lunch/dinner get your drinks from what is offered-- ice tea, milk choc mlkor water.etc. If you want a mixed drin kor something from a bar-- you will have to wait for the bar waiter to come around.

Matre d takes care of the dining room-- special services will go through him. He is the one who makes table assignments- address your problems. change your table/seatings.

Captain--drives the boat..LOL (pilots the ship)

cabin steward will clean your cabin twice a day-- fresh towels. make the beds, pull down service at night--get you ice. He is also off duty from noon til 5.

they are not the same.. and have different jobs.

Mait'd is the person in charge of the entire Dining Room, he/she is the one responsible for ensure your waiters are trained and doing their jobs. Some times he may be refered to as the Head Waiter. He is also in charge of the Wine Stewards in the Dining Room.

Table Captain is some times called a Head Waiter if in charge of a section of tables or floor ie he is responsible for 50 of 200 tables.

Table Waiter (Dining Room Steward) and Asst Waiters are the ones who deal with you directly and maybe two or three other tables). You may also have a Wine Steward. If you have problems with your Dining Staff talk to the Mait'd.

The Mait'd is set of the first day around 2-4 Pm to help you with problems before hand. For me he will find a table that I can get in and out of with my chair. He is also the one to see if you have a food allergy or request such as birthday or anniversary. Then all you do is remind your staff when you meet them the first night.

I guess it is differnt on various cruiselines-- on carnival and royal the head waiter is the one who waits on our table. I hate to think I been tipping the wrong person all these years.

I see even Princess call the "head waiter who gets xx amount of money for grats. Is there a person OVER him beside the matre d

Capt-- did you see the new crown and anchor mag-- about the new freedom...(awesome)

Archived