Big Mistake??

InkyMoses

Ok,going on first ever cruise to the Baltics in June.We decided to have a different kind of holiday this year,verrry different.The thing is we have never ever done a "package"holiday before,always gone independent for everthing.Are we going to find it a shock to the system?Even our friends are surprised with our plans.Will we be able to escape the hordes? Are there hordes? Ijust don't want to have made a mistake.Sorry for the ramble.think I'm just looking for reassurance.

We usually travel independently on holidays but have discovered cruising now. We don't like to be crowed and our first trip was on P & O Auzra there was plenty of space to be on own own, if you want to be on your own you canon or you can join-in everything. I have never done the Baltic's but understand that going on a cruise is the best way to visit St Petereburg due to having to get visa's ect. I don't think you will get hoards you are not going on a ship that has 5,000 plus passengers.

Ok,going on first ever cruise to the Baltics in June.We decided to have a different kind of holiday this year,verrry different.The thing is we have never ever done a "package"holiday before,always gone independent for everthing.Are we going to find it a shock to the system?Even our friends are surprised with our plans.Will we be able to escape the hordes? Are there hordes? Ijust don't want to have made a mistake.Sorry for the ramble.think I'm just looking for reassurance.

I think you will enjoy it. If you are independent I would suggest arranging your own excursions in port or doing your own thing. We haven't done the Baltic's it's on our list, but reviews are good. You will be looked after but you can also do as much or as little as you want, so make it a cruise to remember.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

InkyMoses. I hope that your first cruise is a success, although it may mean you wish to repeat the experience and that can become costly as we have discovered. As with any holiday there will always be other people around and you can either keep to yourselves or join others either at meal times or around the ship. If you prefer dining alone then I would suggest Freedom dining - main dining room, as you can always ask for a table for the number of people in your party. If you are 2 people then I think Fixed dining would tend to put you with others on a table. We always go freedom dining, so that we can eat at times to suit us, but others on CC can advise the minimum table number on fixed. You may find eating in the self service restaurant is more of a "bun fight" if you prefer to avoid the masses. Obviously you can do your own thing in each port and do not have to be included on any organised excursions.

Would you call a cruise a "package holiday"? I don't think of it as that. A package usually means, a flight, a hotel, transfers etc.

I believe you can ask for a table for 2 on fixed, but we usually ask for a Table for 8 and meet others. Have made some really good friends that way.

I also hope you enjoy yourself and if you do, its a terrible habit to get into.

Depends what fare you have paid as to what sort of choice you will have with the dining. Select (pay deposit and balance, chose cabin and dining) early saver(pay deposit and balance I think pando chose the cabin and they ask what dining you prefer and try and accommodate you) saver (pay 100% and they decide cabin and dining)

Set dining you have 2 sittings with varying size tables. Early bookers will have nabbed tables for 2. So that leaves up to tables for 10. We usually go for a table for 8 as then there is someone we get on with.

Freedom dining you go anytime within set hours. If you share you can usally sit down straightaway, tables for 2 ,you would be given a pager, and they bleep you when they have one spare.

All the above is only for the evening meals . There is also select dining that you book and pay extra for.

We have done the Baltics. Go on an organised tour for St P. Either a ships one or a private one (look on trip advisor for suggestions). This way you are covered for a visa. Some of the places you stop at in St P may be busy (Peterhof comes to mind when they turn the fountains on) but other places we wandered off on our own.

The Vassa ship museum was a good place to visit.

Around the ship you can do as much or as little as you want.

If you can stretch to a balcony I would go for that as then you have your own private outdoor space away from every one.

When you return do let others know how you got on.

Oter

In St Petersburg you really have to do ship's excursions or book private tour companies as even if you organised your own visas you still have an issue of getting into the city, finding taxis, understanding road signs and some attractions like Catherine Palace and Peterhof are a step out too. We've done a Baltic cruise four times, are keen to adopt a DiY approach but have never tried it in St P. It's a fabulous place though and we've found we've been first in on morning trips to such as the Hermitage and Catherine Palace so it's been very quiet although these places can get busy it's often the only way to do it.

Other destinations on this itinerary are very easy to do independently. Use the Helsinki tram to get out to the Sibelius Monument, meander back via the Rock Church, Railway Station (of some architectural note) to Senate Square and the Harbour. Stockholm - yes the Vasa Museum is excellent and it's worth wandering around Gamla Stan (the old town). Warnemunde is a pretty seaside town but we usually get the train into Rostock for a couple of hours where the church in the centre has a wonderful Mediaeval Astronomical Clock then spend the afternoon in Warnemunde. Tallinn is great to explore independently provided you are OK walking - they are cobbled streets and uphill section up to the Cathedral and Parliament building. Again Copenhagen is an easy walk around city depending on where you're berthed it might just be a walk - off but if you're in the new dock there will be shuttle buses. Lots to see here - the Palaces, the Nyhavn, canal trip.

It's a fabulous itinerary - I'm sure you won't be disappointed and hopefully you'll find the whole cruise experience as enjoyable and addictive as we do.

Would you call a cruise a "package holiday"? I don't think of it as that. A package usually means, a flight, a hotel, transfers etc.

On cruises out of Southampton P&O arranges transport to the port by coach. The ship is the hotel. The P&O excursions (if you do them) are the equivalent of tour operators' excursions from resort hotels. If you do a fly-cruise P&O fly you out (unless you decide to make your own arrangements), transfer you from the airport to the port and repeat the process for the return journey. Sounds like a package to me. A wonderful, highly addictive, very good value package, but a package all the same.

Baltics was our favourite cruise and we are keen to do it again. Agree with everyone else book a small tour group in St P and not the ships one. We were in a small minibus 12 people in total. The tour guide was fantastic and about half the price of the ships one.

Edited by spideygirl

Baltics was our favourite cruise and we are keen to do it again. Agree with everyone else book a small tour group in St P and not the ships one. We were in a small minibus 12 people in total. The tour guide was fantastic and about half the price of the ships one.

Have to stick up for the ship's small group tours in St Petersburg here. We were also in a small minibus- 12 people in total - and had a fantastic guide and driver. :)

It was quite funny really as all the minibuses were going to the same places and were driving round almost in convoy, obviously all with their own 'exclusive' slot and all the guides knew each other.

I can't argue about prices of the ship's small tour groups as I have forgotten what it cost.

Edited by Scriv

Be warned you may become addicted! We won a 2 night cruise on QE2 in 1991 and it got me wanting more, her indoors took a while to be convinced to take a longer one, and we finally cruised to the Canaries on Oriana in 1995.

That was it, now 37 cruise later, (and a lot poorer!) with age and travel insurance problems, we can only holiday in the UK. If you want to be on your own, you can usually find somewhere quiet! We learnt that the ships tours can often be a waste of money, in the end we opted for DIY tours, you don't end up at some unwanted retail outlet as part of the tour.

The internet is a great place for researching ports of call, we used it to find out about bus and train services and get an idea of taxi costs. Got lost once or twice, part of the adventure! Just be back before the ship sails, they won't wait for you!

I've done 6 Baltic cruises, there's so much to see, especially in St P.

The most recent was last June when we used Denrus for a half day tour and an evening tour.

Even though there were just the 2 of us booked for those particular tours, they gave us a guide and driver all to ourselves. Exceptional service.

We have also used Alla and can highly recommend them.

Thanks everyone for all your reassurance,I think we are nervous as it is whole new type of hoiday for us. I'm sure we will enjoy it,its all a new experience away from daily life.One thing that has confused me somewhat is which foreign currency/currencies to take.If anyone could advise,I've read different things,and I am now rather baffled.

Check out the Ports of call board and also see if there is a Roll Call for your cruise. You may be able to join others in a small group for tours, keeps prices down and gives you an opportunity to meet others before your cruise.

We usually do private tours, on our last cruise we joined 2 couples for a tour, organised through the roll call. We had a great day which we could control.

I'm sure you will have a great holiday.

We did a Baltic cruise in September 2013 and loved it. We booked 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla Tours in SPB. There were only 2 other people with us in the mini bus, so like having. private tour. It was excellent.

There are different itineraries, but we always have some Euros, so just had Euros, Sterling and CC with no foreign transaction charges. Look at something like Halifax Clarity card.

We never do ship excursions as it is always better and cheaper to arrange ourselves. However, we did have to book ship's excursion in Gdynia to visit Gdansk due to time constrictions.

We are very independent travellers, but love cruising and try to do one a year. You will probably get addicted.

We are sailing to the Baltic in June this year. We prefer to explore independantly but like LondonTowner we have booked the 2 day Alla Comfort Tour(If you follow their link and mention it on the cruise critic roll call you will get a discount)

The only other port that we have had to book for this cruise is Gdansk because it takes too long to get there under your own steam.

I m sure you will love cruising- We first sailed in 2008 and are hooked!:)

Hi InkyMoses,

I think you're worrying about nothing. I'm very independent about travelling and make all my own arrangements but I love cruising and dont feel 'packaged'! :) I did the Baltics last year, it was only my third cruise so I'm by no means an expert, but it all went swimmingly. The Baltics tend to attract people interested in culture and sightseeing rather than the party crowd so you wont be constantly surrounded by a big noisy group. You are not constantly herded to-and-fro on the ship either, there are many bars, eateries and lounges so its easy to pick and choose what level of company or quietness you want. Theres a newspaper delivered to your cabin every night with details of what is happening the next day, and you chose how you want to fill your day - you are not 'ordered' to take part in anything! Disembarking may be crowded if you want to get off the instant the ship docks, but you can always wait a few minutes for the herd to die down. The only thing you HAVE to do is be back on board before the ship sails! :D

Most Baltic ports are easy to DIY. I did the free city walking tours in Tallin and Copenhagen, and got the train from Warnemunde to Rostock. Because we had 1.5 days in Stockholm I got the Stockholm card, had a guided city walk, tour of the Palace, City Hall and Bell Tower, entry to the Cathedral, Bell Tower and Nobel Museum, canal boat cruise, plus free public transport. In St Petersburg I did suck it up and book the ships two day package rather then grapple with the visa issue. It was almost identical to the Alla tour and only £20pp more. As it was my first time in St Petes for convenience I went with the ship. We were a group of 12 with a private minicoach and it was excellent.

The internet is your friend. Research your ports to see what you would like to do, and keep checking Cruise Critic for hints and tips. Im sure your first cruise will be a great one!

Sea-Green,being herded around was a worry,so relieved its not like that!We have a balcony we can escape to,if it all gets too much.Now know you have to do an organised tour in St Petersburg,but plan on diy everywhere else.Thanks for everyones help.

Hi InkyMoses, I would highly reccommend Rick Steves' book Northern European Cruise Ports, it would most likely cover all the ports you'll be visiting and has lots of handy info for first-time cruisers as well. I did my first cruise in the Baltics last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like you I tend to prefer 'independent' holidays, but I didn't feel packaged at all - it's just a great way to visit explore a new city (almost) every day of your holiday without really having the hassle of having to travel to each one!

The last time we were in St. Petersburg we only took the ships tours. At that time you did not need a visa for organised tours, ship or other local.

Unless things have changed you will need one for diy travel and the city is not easy to negotiate without speaking the language. However for the really independent passengers using taxis, I guess you could manage but would almost certainly not see as much as on a tour when the guides always have preference over individuals.

Don't ever think it's like Barcelona though!!

David.