Should I be worried about Zika?

Are you or your gf pregnant or planning to get pregnant between now and 4-6 weeks after the trip? If not, there isn't TOO much to worry about.

That being said, there are some reports starting to come out that Zika might actually not be the cause of microcephaly in newborns. They have yet to find a hard link between the two and even though the virus has spread throughout the Caribbean and South/Central America, so far the only cases of microcephaly being reported are in Brazil. The CDC is beginning to think the true cause might be something else.

lots of info on the internet - I would only worry if

a. GF is pregnant or if either of plan children within next year or so

b. Either of you is immuno compromised- new guidleines in UK have just been issued for advise to those in this category (I read them yesterday - As I am in that group) .

At this point in time not enough is fully know about this virus that is why there is a time of 2 years being put against the gap of visit to these areas and pregnancy - It is not that there is a time that is definitely safe or unsafe - It is that they do not know - The 2 years spoken about is to give a stop gap to find that relevant info out.

Only if you're planning to get pregnant soon. Also, Zika has some confirmed cases of blood transmission. So, both of you need to take precautions. The big problem is a huge percentage of people that get it don't have symptoms.

I don't know if the birth defects happen if you contract it while pregnant, or have had it in the past.

Check w/ doctor.

Are you or your gf pregnant or planning to get pregnant between now and 4-6 weeks after the trip? If not, there isn't TOO much to worry about.

That being said, there are some reports starting to come out that Zika might actually not be the cause of microcephaly in newborns. They have yet to find a hard link between the two and even though the virus has spread throughout the Caribbean and South/Central America, so far the only cases of microcephaly being reported are in Brazil. The CDC is beginning to think the true cause might be something else.

No we are not.

Only if you're planning to get pregnant soon. Also, Zika has some confirmed cases of blood transmission. So, both of you need to take precautions. The big problem is a huge percentage of people that get it don't have symptoms.

I don't know if the birth defects happen if you contract it while pregnant, or have had it in the past.

Check w/ doctor.

The worry about past infections is that they are not sure if this virus has the potential to lie dormant or hide in some organs (ie chickenpox - re-emerging as shingles (rough antidote - as not the same type of virus) then re-attack if pregnant in future. (Due to the type of virus this would be thought of as unlikely but needs to be ruled out). The latest evidence seems to support the link, as it is now know that the virus crosses the placenta. Also researchers have now re-looked at data from some of the previous outbreaks and now are able to confirm that the birth defect rate of microcephaly did in fact rise (It was missed at the time as the out breaks were much smaller.). We have re planned our Xmas hols as I am not willing to take my girls (one 23) into these areas until more is known. (Now have been advised not to go for me too as I take immuno-suppressant drugs but we had already decided against it for my girls ). To put this in context before some shout scaremongering , my back ground is + 20 yrs in drug/medical research.

Edited by fragilek

Zika has been around since the 1940's and now they are bringing it up again probably because they need something to cause panic in everyone just like Ebola. I'm pregnant and going on a cruise next month and not worried at all. The birth defects are not related to Zika anyway and more likely related to the new vaccine in Brazil or the chemicals in the pesticides they use there. Either way, I wouldn't be worried. If you are worried, wear bug spray.

Might I suggest this one?

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Although this virus has been recognized for over fifty years, we are, in epidemiological terms, fairly recent in this association between Zika and microcephaly. Most cluster investigations never find a causal relationship; this one may or may not.

And, as previously noted, there are a lot of threads on this already...

Zika has been around since the 1940's and now they are bringing it up again probably because they need something to cause panic in everyone just like Ebola. I'm pregnant and going on a cruise next month and not worried at all. The birth defects are not related to Zika anyway and more likely related to the new vaccine in Brazil or the chemicals in the pesticides they use there. Either way, I wouldn't be worried. If you are worried, wear bug spray.

Hmm. Scientists, or random layperson on the Internet?

I think I'd go with the scientists. I do hope you're ok afterwards.