Very Upset - NCL Cancel some 11-Day Mexican Riviera Cruises

hpecorari

We are also switching our fall NCL cruise to either a 10 day Princess or a B2B for 14 days on another Princess ship from LA

We're really sorry that the 11 day Mexico's from SD were not profitable enough for them to continue.

We're not out anything, just disappointed

(The same thing happen to us last year on Carnival)

Edited by CRUZBUDS

Harriet,

I sent an email and left a voicemail from Vivian Ewart. A woman from her office called me at 8 a.m. today. She explained quite a bit to me. First, no one can book any cruise, Panama Canal or any other until at least Wednesday, February 24, 2016 and she didn't even know if NCL would be ready by then. The reasons are many but the main one is there are several overlapping bookings they have to fix. Second, you were correct, the Panama is cruise fare protected. Since I bought and totally paid for the cruise, transfers, gratuities, beverage package, and insurance they will move over to the Panama cruises, but not on a brand new booking. There will be no price increase even though Panama is 3 days more of cruising, NCL will not charge me the difference. I asked about the OBC I have on the Mexican cruise and up to $50 off on four shore excursions, she didn't think that those would move, but NCL is offering $50 OBC, so that will help but not with excursions.

The air I have booked and paid for with American, I will have to cancel my round trip San Diego flight, lose $200 because I cancelled, get documentation from American, and NCL will pay me the $200 I lost. I have to show proof of my new air booking from Dallas to San Diego and Miami to Dallas in order to get that $200.

I told her that I appreciated her help and I understood that cruises and flights get cancelled but a little more information in the letter would have been helpful.

I hope this information is helpful.

Candie

Harriet,

I sent an email and left a voicemail from Vivian Ewart. A woman from her office called me at 8 a.m. today. She explained quite a bit to me. First, no one can book any cruise, Panama Canal or any other until at least Wednesday, February 24, 2016 and she didn't even know if NCL would be ready by then. The reasons are many but the main one is there are several overlapping bookings they have to fix. Second, you were correct, the Panama is cruise fare protected. Since I bought and totally paid for the cruise, transfers, gratuities, beverage package, and insurance they will move over to the Panama cruises, but not on a brand new booking. There will be no price increase even though Panama is 3 days more of cruising, NCL will not charge me the difference. I asked about the OBC I have on the Mexican cruise and up to $50 off on four shore excursions, she didn't think that those would move, but NCL is offering $50 OBC, so that will help but not with excursions.

The air I have booked and paid for with American, I will have to cancel my round trip San Diego flight, lose $200 because I cancelled, get documentation from American, and NCL will pay me the $200 I lost. I have to show proof of my new air booking from Dallas to San Diego and Miami to Dallas in order to get that $200.

I told her that I appreciated her help and I understood that cruises and flights get cancelled but a little more information in the letter would have been helpful.

I hope this information is helpful.

Candie

I thought what you posted about was correct but glad you found out for sure. I, also, e-mailed her and left a voice message on her phone but haven't heard back from her yet. I, however, won't be booking one of the two Panama cruises......so we'll see.

I have one more contact that I spoke with that is looking into this matter for me and I hope to hear back from her soon.

I'm just happy I was holding out on booking hotel and air.

Harriet

Ncl have just come back to us basically saying they will only pay £200 per person to change flight. We now have to either pay the extra £1200!to change our flight or cancel and lose £1600. It is morally incorrect so we are threatening them with small claims court. Who in their right mind would want to book another cruise with this company they suck.

Harriet,

THAT totally sucks! Especially for an NCL loyalist like you. (I remember you from our Sun cruise a couple of years back)Time to put your eggs in newer baskets. I would book a similar itinerary on another cruise line. NCL's loss is someone else's gain. We have equal number of cruises on NCL and Royal and are exploring Carnival, Princess and have sailed Celebrity and are liking it a lot not just going on one cruise line. Our reason to diversify was to explore different ships, different perks, etc and NCL does not do much to keep its existing clientele as a supervisor very recently quoted to me..."you are booked, you already are a client, we have to now attract the new clients."

Cruises get cancelled but they should have let you keep the perks.

You are right about cruise lines keeping their loyal customers happy. DH and I had several wonderful cruises with NCL. Good times, lots of fun, NCL was our cruise line. Then our last cruise left a lot to be desired. A lot of things were just "off." When we very nicely let our concerns be known, we were treated very poorly. The attitude was pretty much like "Oh well, you get what you get and there's nothing we can do about it." The staff on the ship seemed very stressed out and unhappy, blatantly so. There was obvious tension among some of the staff, and several incidents involving loud obnoxious people who drank too much and caused a ruckus. It was a very weird and unhappy atmosphere on that particular cruise. Oh, and the food wasn't good, even in the pay restaurants. So that cruise alone put us off from NCL. It was the discouragement of being treated badly that was the worst of all. After that we decided we were going to try other cruising options. We've tried Holland America, which we like a lot because it's a very sedate and laid back atmosphere. We enjoy the peacefulness of travelling with them. The food is good too. We are also considering maybe Celebrity, and Princess. But right now we are still enjoying Holland America. The service and atmosphere are very very good. How we are treated definitely makes the difference.

Lorie

Harriet,

THAT totally sucks! Especially for an NCL loyalist like you. (I remember you from our Sun cruise a couple of years back)Time to put your eggs in newer baskets. I would book a similar itinerary on another cruise line. NCL's loss is someone else's gain. We have equal number of cruises on NCL and Royal and are exploring Carnival, Princess and have sailed Celebrity and are liking it a lot not just going on one cruise line. Our reason to diversify was to explore different ships, different perks, etc and NCL does not do much to keep its existing clientele as a supervisor very recently quoted to me..."you are booked, you already are a client, we have to now attract the new clients."

Cruises get cancelled but they should have let you keep the perks.

Update: I spoke with two different people who I do believe want to keep me happy and are going to work with me. I will call on Wednesday to book the cruise I'm interested in and if all goes well, my perks should follow me. I'll report back Wednesday or Thursday.

Harriet

I can believe you keep going on about your perks. Weren't they free! What about the money people are going to lose because NCL broke the contract. Some people will lose more than free perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I feel for those people and I understand what they are going through. However if you do not like reading what I post feel free to skip over them or block me.

Harriet

I can believe you keep going on about your perks. Weren't they free! What about the money people are going to lose because NCL broke the contract. Some people will lose more than free perks.

You don't even know Harriet. She's an awesome lady. So that's a rude comment on your part

She purchased a cruise and the value of the PERKS where a value to her. They actually do have monetary value to many of us when we decide to book. Alcohol package, dining packages, or whatever perks are include. Those are expenses I will not have to fork over in addition to my cruise fare. So they are a big deal.

I'm sorry for those experiencing more issues like the post from the person in the UK. I don't know the UK system, but I always understood there were protections built in. But again, I don't understand or know about that

That was really kind of rude considering you don't know Harriet you just joined and that was your second post your not off to a very good start. There is a feature on here Cruise critic and it's called ignore if you don't like what someone saying you don't have to read it or put the person on ignore

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Losing perks is the same thing as losing money, that would become out of pocket expenses Harriet did not have before.

What part of that do you not understand?

How dare you. Nothing is free with NCL. Harriet is 100% right in trying to keep her perks that she had before they canceled her cruise.

I think you meant to say can't believe...

Anyway... Harriet has every right to be upset about what is happening, and has said nothing to indicate she doesn't sympathize with others. She doesn't assume her situation is the only problem or the worst. Harriet and I disagree a lot, but she knows her stuff and has every right in this crappy situation to inquire about options and voice her disappointment.

As I've stated before I do understand and sympathize with everyone and what these cancellations mean to others. I know some simply will not get enough to take care of their air that has already been purchased. I know some have booked hotels that were cheaper because it was a 'non-refundable' rate. I know others only had that time available to them from work to take off. There are many reasons some are disappointed and many amounts of time and money others will be out.

However, I'd like to state that what one said were my FREE perks, actually add up. First, I believe that the price of the cruise goes up to compensate for the perks. Therefore, cruise fair is higher. But even putting that aside. Lets take a moment to see the difference in black in white what losing my 'free' perks for an 11 day cruise will cost me:

UBP-I now have to pay the 18% gratuity fee of $136.62 x 2 people= $273.24

SDP-I now have to pay the 18% gratuity fee of $16.02 x 2 people= $32.04

Losing my FREE PAID DSC for 11 days will now cost me $170.50 x 2 people = $341.00

Therefore, $273.24 + $32.04 + $341.00 = $646.38

That's an additional $646.38 that my current cruise would cost me if I can't keep the current perks that I booked with even though NCL cancelled my cruise and is allowing me to switch to another cruise.

If one nameless specific poster from London would like to send me $646.38 then yes, losing my 'free' perks won't be costing me anything. :)

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

As I've stated before I do understand and sympathize with everyone and what these cancellations mean to others. I know some simply will not get enough to take care of their air that has already been purchased. I know some have booked hotels that were cheaper because it was a 'non-refundable' rate. I know others only had that time available to them from work to take off. There are many reasons some are disappointed and many amounts of time and money others will be out.

However, I'd like to state that what one said were my FREE perks, actually add up. First, I believe that the price of the cruise goes up to compensate for the perks. Therefore, cruise fair is higher. But even putting that aside. Lets take a moment to see the difference in black in white what losing my 'free' perks for an 11 day cruise will cost me:

UBP-I now have to pay the 18% gratuity fee of $136.62 x 2 people= $273.24

UDP-I now have to pay the 18% gratuity fee of $16.02 x 2 people= $32.04

Losing my FREE PAID DSC for 11 days will now coast me $170.50 x 2 people = $341.00

Therefore, $273.24 + $32.04 + $341.00 = $646.38

That's an additional $646.38 that my current cruise would cost me if I can't keep the current perks that I booked with even though NCL cancelled my cruise and is allowing me to switch to another cruise.

If one nameless specific poster from London would like to send me $646.38 then yes, losing my 'free' perks won't be costing me anything. :)

Harriet

Great reply!

I totally agree with laybackandrelex Harriet losses are not hard cash. I'm in a situation where I will lose a lot of money I have to work for. I am also stand to lose perks which have value to me but not as much as cash I have laid out. There is no protection built in like someone suggested. I don't see what difference it makes if someone has only posted twice is this not a open forum and open to freedom of speech. I don't think their post was at all rude but actually factual

Firstly, I am not being rude, but making a statement. Secondly, I'm also sure that Harriet is a nice lady, but as she has now stated the value is just $646.38. These are perks where she has not had to pay any hard earned cash to NCL.

Let's put this into context, the situation they have put us in the UK amounts to over $1800 if we accept their customer focused offer. This is what we have to pay over and above the agreed contract with them.

As you can appreciate I'm not happy. NCL in the UK are taking instructions based on US parents policy for US customers, which does not work for any other country and will leave customers significantly out of pocket. I have tried to complain via the US website but it does not allow me. The logic being that I'll deal with someone who could actually make a decision. However, it knows I'm not in the US and blocks me. That is NCL's website, nothing else. If anyone can give me an email address for someone in NCL it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I am not being rude, but making a statement. Secondly, I'm also sure that Harriet is a nice lady, but as she has now stated the value is just $646.38. These are perks where she has not had to pay any hard earned cash to NCL.

Let's put this into context, the situation they have put us in the UK amounts to over $1800 if we accept their customer focused offer. This is what we have to pay over and above the agreed contract with them.

As you can appreciate I'm not happy. NCL in the UK are taking instructions based on US parents policy for US customers, which does not work for any other country and will leave customers significantly out of pocket. I have tried to complain via the US website but it does not allow me. The logic being that I'll deal with someone who could actually make a decision. However, it knows I'm not in the US and blocks me. That is NCL's website, nothing else. If anyone can give me an email address for someone in NCL it would be greatly appreciated.

I understand your frustration, really I do. My cruise was for a party of 2 so I don't know if you're also traveling as a party of 2 also, or 3, 4, etc.

I'm not happy with *my* situation but do feel for others. However, I am only going to 'fight' for what I feel I am out. You fight for what you feel you are out. We are both correct, IMHO.

I sent an e-mail to the following: VEWART@ncl.com on Thursday around 3:30 p.m. Philadelphia time. I heard back from someone on Friday around 3:30 or so, again, Philadelphia time. Feel free to shoot out an e-mail but do remember, they probably won't even read it until Monday as I don't believe anyone is there in this department Saturday and Sundays.

My e-mail to them was polite and I stressed that I know things happen and cruises get cancelled and in the contract it's their right to do so, however, I don't believe I should be penalized and lose what I currently had booked when I need to transfer this booking over to another cruise I choose simply because they cancelled and not me. I also pointed out everything I had, what they're taking away from me and what the additional cost to me will now be. Be nice :) Good luck and please keep us posted.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Just a side thought.......

When I book air there is an option for insurance on the air only if you choose not to get the cruise insurance. It costs to little and it helps in these type of matters.

So please.....those who do have to fly and book early - or even don't book early - consider paying that little extra for the air insurance!

For those that have the cruise insurance your insurance should be able to take care of you in these types of situations as well.

Harriet

I totally agree with laybackandrelex Harriet losses are not hard cash. I'm in a situation where I will lose a lot of money I have to work for. I am also stand to lose perks which have value to me but not as much as cash I have laid out. There is no protection built in like someone suggested. I don't see what difference it makes if someone has only posted twice is this not a open forum and open to freedom of speech. I don't think their post was at all rude but actually factual

You chose to roll the dice and not cough up a few extra bucks for insurance and you crapped out. It happens. Is that rude to say or is that just factual? You decide.

It became hard earned cash the minute the perk is removed.

:D

I understand your frustration, really I do. My cruise was for a party of 2 so I don't know if you're also traveling as a party of 2 also, or 3, 4, etc.

I'm not happy with *my* situation but do feel for others. However, I am only going to 'fight' for what I feel I am out. You fight for what you feel you are out. We are both correct, IMHO.

I sent an e-mail to the following: VEWART@ncl.com on Thursday around 3:30 p.m. Philadelphia time. I heard back from someone on Friday around 3:30 or so, again, Philadelphia time. Feel free to shoot out an e-mail but do remember, they probably won't even read it until Monday as I don't believe anyone is there in this department Saturday and Sundays.

My e-mail to them was polite and I stressed that I know things happen and cruises get cancelled and in the contract it's their right to do so, however, I don't believe I should be penalized and lose what I currently had booked when I need to transfer this booking over to another cruise I choose simply because they cancelled and not me. I also pointed out everything I had, what they're taking away from me and what the additional cost to me will now be. Be nice :) Good luck and please keep us posted.

Harriet

Harriet thank you for your reply. The whole situation caused by NCL is distressing for everyone . I have sent an email to the US office and hopefully I'll get some resolution by Tuesday bearing in mind the time difference. I've spent so much on this in 2 days NCL do not understand the implications of what they have done for some people.

Will let you know how I get on.

You chose to roll the dice and not cough up a few extra bucks for insurance and you crapped out. It happens. Is that rude to say or is that just factual? You decide.

:D

Thank you for being so understanding. Insurance I have, but why should they pay up when it's NCL fault?

Just a side thought.......

When I book air there is an option for insurance on the air only if you choose not to get the cruise insurance. It costs to little and it helps in these type of matters.

So please.....those who do have to fly and book early - or even don't book early - consider paying that little extra for the air insurance!

For those that have the cruise insurance your insurance should be able to take care of you in these types of situations as well.

Harriet

The US is the US and yes budget airlines give options for insurance,, schedule airlines in the Europe do not. I have insurance and I could claim, but why should they pay up increase everyone else's premiums just because of NCL?

I'd be rather annoyed if my booking was cancelled/changed. If it's a weather/ mechanical issue I get that, but if NCL changed on me I'd definitely expect to keep the perks/fare etc.

Edited by karoo

Thank you for being so understanding. Insurance I have, but why should they pay up when it's NCL fault?

Yes I am understanding your comment "Her value is JUST $646.38"

Why do you feel your loss is more important than Harriet's? Harriet started the thread, you were welcome to start your own. For you to come on here and insinuate your loss was more important then Harriet's and that she should not be complaining about her loss of perks is just plain rude.

You have insurance? Use it and stop whining about it.

Edited by iimmie